The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Feb 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,051 of 15,119
I've been thinking a lot about the Charleston. It looks amazing in my opinion (though I know plenty of people find it utterly tacky). I was ready to plunk down a considerable amount for one on a few occasions, one of those quite recently in fact. Then I did some research and discovered some interesting things.

First off, the sound is usually described as being pretty piss-pour by those who have heard them. The drivers seem to be based on one of Sennheiser's lower-tier models, and their sound falls bellow the performance threshold of the HD600 and HD650 as a result. In and of itself not that big of a deal, because it's a collectable and you don't really buy these sorts of things to listen to frequently. I mean, it has gold plating and a designer leather belt grafted onto it. In general I find the question of value and performance quite nebulous, and I don't think it's so easy to put a universalized pricetag on the way something sounds. Even comparing it to another product and coming up with some kind of equation where this should be "2x better" than that based on price seems silly, because you're still trying to quantify a subjective experience.

I started up a conversation with a seller in Germany who had sold quite a few Charlestons, a few of them to head-fiers. What he had to say was quite interesting. First off, there's been rampant misinformation about just how many Charlestons were produced. Looking back at older threads on head-fi, you'll pretty consistently come across the number 400. As in, only 400 produced worldwide for their 50th anniversary. Now that production number seems to be represented as 1000. Talking to the seller, he seemed to believe that even this number was an underestimate. He told me that he himself came across seven sets in a short amount of time with little problem.

He put most of them on ebay and seemed quite amused by the crazy prices they fetched. The one I was most recently considering sold for about $1000. This set was indeed sold by the man in Germany whom I'm talking about. He thought it was hilarious, and admitted that the particular unit in question---the one I was considering---was actually "brought back to life" out of two broken units. He remarked that it probably still had shoe polish on it. I was baffled by this on several levels. For one thing, it really drove home just how insane the collector's market of any hobby can be. Remember Beanie Babies? For some reason all those Home Shopping Network shows where they were trying to sell these little toys that came in Happy Meals for several hundred bucks a pop came flooding back to mind.

The Charleston could be had for about $200 USD before the madness began. Now who knows? Worth is a subjective thing, and for some it'll be worth it. Really a beautiful headphone in my opinion. It's just not a headphone in the strictest sense. It's a collectable.

And I hate myself for likely buying one eventually.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,053 of 15,119

Quote:
Some steampunk stuff is great: Goes beyond brass-and-wood versions of things you already have, and makes things don't belong to either time.

Like the North Skirt:

That's awesome. The video was kind of... surreal though. She's talking quietly then, suddenly, MUSIC!

Very exuberant music. Awkward dancing.

lol.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #1,054 of 15,119

Quote:
I like the Charleston on visual aesthetics. Although (since this is the sort of thing I will obsess about, because I can), I keep wondering why it's designed to look like microphone capsules strapped to your ears, rather than earpieces.

I love that microphone look. It's both purposeful looking and extravagant at the same time, so it's a bit eclectic.

For some reason the earcups remind me a bit of the F1:

They've got that circular suspension look, though the difference is still larger than the similarity.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #1,055 of 15,119

Quote:
He told me that he himself came across seven sets in a short amount of time with little problem.

WTH!?!?!? Maybe you should ask him if he could get other headphones as well. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,056 of 15,119
This makes me wonder why Grado hasn't issued headphones with brass or gold anodized cups. I assume John's sitting on the idea for an important anniversary. It would certainly cost him very very little extra (a buck or two, in quantity), and he could sell them far and wide, since Grado phones have the age-of-wireless aesthetic that I like as much as the steampunks do.

You could have it done to any aluminum-cup Grados you might have on hand, since the cups are relatively easy to disassemble. It'd cost you more, though, since you'd be paying a metal shop to do one-off work, but it'd still probably be under $100.

(Edit: Joe Grado's going to be at the Charlotte meetup in March, so I suppose I could ask him.)

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,058 of 15,119
Quote:
Very exuberant music. Awkward dancing.

lol.

The skirt is pretty awesome. However the music made me even happier - its from the Red Hot AIDS charity compilation album Dark Was The Night, collab of the Dirty Projectors and David Byrne. A really great track :3

Quote:
Agreed the Charleston is a beautiful looking headphone. Another nice vintage headphone that would work would be the Pioneer SE L40. Very gorgeous looking headphone in my opinion

I've always had a love hate relationship with steampunk stuff. The clothing and art deco stuff most of the time never really turned my crank. for whatever reason though take modern gear and steampunk it and most of the time it turns my crank. Rather weird when you stop and think about it.

That Pioneer is beautiful... I kinda want it. I always thought the B&W P5 looks a little steampunk-ish for a modern production headphone. 

The attraction of steampunk is that the object always instantly captures the imagination by taking two disparate time periods and mashing them together, so that the object itself poises a bit of a 'what if' to you rmind that actual artefacts from that period perhaps wouldn't.

One of my favourite computer games of all time, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (2001) really captured this amazingly by posing this anachronistic world where a Tolkein-esque fantasy world is on the brink of the industrial revolution.

The two engines of power in the world - magic and technology, are at constant opposition, so much so that if you played a heavy magic user and caught a train, you would cause it to explode and kill you. The game featured, among other things, a vast amount of humour and some darker themes, like evidence of a forced breeding program to maintain the power of Zurich banker like Gnomes, or brothels where you could sleep with a human, elf, orc - or if you were into that kind of thing - a sheep. 

Sorry to go on bit of a tangent but if you like RPG's its a true classic from the creators of Fallout. Plus you can get a modernised version that runs on new PC's for $6 now!  It also has a brilliant Victorian-esque string quartet soundtrack.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,060 of 15,119
Quote:

Ob a totally unrelated note, anyone here know who makes these? They look so cool

I keep seeing them around too! I think there are multiple colors of it too.

Quote:
You might like these guys of mine too :3

So that's what was sitting on your desk... I thought it was some limited edition Pokemon Pez dispenser!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,061 of 15,119
Quote:
Some steampunk stuff is great: Goes beyond brass-and-wood versions of things you already have, and makes things don't belong to either time.

Like the North Skirt:

Pure win.

Quote:
Here is an original 

Cool.  So the only other addition is the goggles then?  Its still awesome looking.  Lenin, action hero.  It still looks like he's going to pull a two pistols out of his coat and start unloading on counter revolutionary capitalist pigs or something.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,062 of 15,119

Well check this, a $1000 DAP, Ibasso killer
http://www.headfonia.com/altmann-micro-machines-tera-player-review/
http://www.headfonia.com/an-interview-with-charles-altmann/

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,063 of 15,119
Muppet,

I too think the Charleston is one of the best looking headphones ever, but the comments about it's sound quality and fit (not to mention the prices) have put me off it for good. Use your willpower to resist it!

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,064 of 15,119

Quote:

Well check this, a $1000 DAP, Ibasso killer
http://www.headfonia.com/altmann-micro-machines-tera-player-review/
http://www.headfonia.com/an-interview-with-charles-altmann/

Haha, I remember a thread @ Portable Sources section. Mod deleted bunch of posts because some people said it's outrageously expensive. In the meanwhile, I will stick with Sansa Clip+ and Sony E353.

P.S The logo kinda looks like Audio Technica logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back