The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,081 of 15,119

Quote:
Yeah. Accessory Jack isn't bad. At least they don't cancel my order when I ask... only to ship it out later! Like HeadRoom has just done.

I ask for my SRH1840 order to be canceled. Okay, cool. I get an e-mail saying it's been canceled. Then tonight I get an e-mail saying "NOPE! LOL! YUR GETTING IT!"

So... I'm getting a SRH1840. And I've been charged for it. It's on it's way and will be here tomorrow. Now I'll have to go through the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a refund, because even if it turns out to be awesome I'm sure Shure as hell not keeping it now on principle. Or using HeadRoom ever again.

Make sure they cover the re-shipping fee!

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,082 of 15,119
Thats dirty of them. How long of notice did you give them. I mean if its ample time then its not your fault that they are not checking emails and such. Did you try to phone them to get the order cancelled? Its usually much better to deal with a person than an email (gamble).

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,084 of 15,119

Quote:
It was last month that I canceled, and I received a confirmation e-mail saying it was canceled.

Well if that's the case then you should demand that they pay for the shipping costs to and from you. If you payed via paypal open up a complaint with them regarding this and also push for your shipping charges to and from to be reimbursed. If the seller is confrontational with you and paypal sides with you you could have a free item on your hands and your money back :wink:.

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,085 of 15,119
It's been a annoying week on the audio front for me.

On the home system, both full-size tube amps are exhibiting bad problems, and the main rig is sounding glitchy. After reconnecting the DAC into the Violectric, I have a headphone system again, at least. This is the least bad outcome; if it was the DAC going bad, not the amp, I would be anticipating a frightening repair bill instead of a distressing one. Although I could probably drop off the DAC at the manufacturer since it's not far from my office. Heh. On the other hand, I have a pretty good idea of where to get the DAC repaired; reputable shops that can restore 40 year old amplifiers are thin on the ground.

On the portable front, I've been toting both Leckerton and Corda amps around for the week, trading between them as I feel rather than making disciplined comparisons. I definitely prefer the sound of the Corda with the TF 10. The amp is more literal-minded in its way, but not annoyingly so. The Corda is head waiter at the good restaurant, while the Leckerton is your favorite barista. The TF 10's notoriously weak mids are given orthotic support but without discomfort or fakeness. The crossfeed switch is also a godsend. My home system has a crossfeed box and I can't imagine listening without it; with the elevated isolation IEMs provide, crossfeed is even more necessary rather than less.

Some of the Corda's downsides compared to the Leckerton can be considered cosmetic or generational, but it contributes to Annoying Audio Week by simply not working properly often enough. I've contacted the dealer in hopes I can do non-warranty-violating things at my workbench to bring it up to par, because I don't want to be rid of it.

The 4.A was last seen in Louisville, Kentucky It's on the local delivery truck! It'd gone another 500 miles between 4:00 AM and 6:00 AM! Maybe Annoying Audio Week will have an uplifting conclusion!

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,086 of 15,119
Quote:
The Koss Porta Pro is utterly simple, and in its simplicity lies its truthfulness and transparency.

And don't forget that he speaks about modded version of the Koss Porta Pro.

In the meantime I've heard the modded version and it does sound nice. But tbo, truthfulness and transparency didn't exactly come to mind (maybe I'm spoilt by my IEMs). I personally wouldn't go to the length of heaving 24/192 WAV files onto a $1100 screenless DAP, just to feed them to a perforated Porta-Pro. But as always, ymmv.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,087 of 15,119

Quote:
In the meantime I've heard the modded version and it does sound nice. But tbo, truthfulness and transparency didn't exactly come to mind (maybe I'm spoilt by my IEMs). I personally wouldn't go to the length of heaving 24/192 WAV files onto a $1100 screenless DAP, just to feed them to a perforated Porta-Pro. But as always, ymmv.

I'd have to agree with you there James. If I pay that much money for a DAP I'd at least expect it to drive all of my headphones (even though I don't have hard to drive headphones) and expect it to have some sort of screen.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,088 of 15,119
Dear Diary,

Initially this wasn't even intended to be an entry. It just turned out that way, I suppose. Pretty boring and filled with mostly personal stuff, so my feelings wont get hurt if you decide to ignore it.

AccessoryJack has informed my partner and me that the FI-BA-SB wont be ready to ship until the end of the month despite their "1 to 2 days" claim on the website. On the plus side, we've asked them if they have the 1601 SB in stock, and if they do I'll end up with that as my Valentine's Day gift instead. Just waiting on their reply. In other Mupps-related news, the SRH1840 is on its way and should be here by the end of the day. Despite my having canceled the order. lol. I'll be sharing my impressions with you first come tomorrow morning, diary friends. Then on Sunday I should be posting some preliminary thoughts regarding the CKW1000ANV and EX700SL for those interested.

I suppose my TakeT thread needs updating as well, but in all honestly I'm not in much of a hurry to do so. I loath A/Bing headphones, and the prospect of pitting the H2+ against the LCD-3 and SR-009 is not the most enticing given that they each require completely different amping solutions. I'm also still evaluating the TakeT BPP and trying to come to terms with how I feel about it, so I'd rather wait for that before going into any detail with regards to the H2+ and its own super tweeters.

The urge to smoke returned to me after almost four years of abstaining. This strikes me as somewhat bizarre, not to mention unsettling for obvious reasons. Had a Djarum that was kind of stale after sitting at the bottom of a drawer for a while. Didn't enjoy it. Now imbued with a sudden urge to fixate upon something leafy and consumable, I want to get back into brewing loose tea. I'm an avid tea drinker; normally though I settle on pre-packaged teas for the sake of convenience. As much as I enjoy Republic of Tea, especially their green tea, I find myself in need of something more impractical and involving.

I'm working on a series of essays having to do with Neo-Platonism currently, and it's taking a bit of a toll on my mental stability. Stress level? Quite high. For whatever reason I've never been particularly adept at relaxing, or even readily able to unwind in a manner not laced with self-destructive undercurrents. My hobbies for example all involve a certain obsessive compulsive dynamism. Having fun is itself stressful in certain ways.

My somewhat stilted regimin of Debrox has proven successful to some degree. After a day or two of minimal draining, I decided to go at my ears again with one of those plastic ear scoops. The amount of wax that had built up in my left ear was flabbergasting. It was so totally gross. Made me feel so totally gross.

Makes me wonder just how influential wax buildup is in some people's listening impressions. Is earwax the unseen mediator of the head-fi world? Seems like a far more reasonable thing to believe in than burn-in radically altering sound signatures, at least.

XoXo.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,090 of 15,119

Quote:
Dear Diary,

Makes me wonder just how influential wax buildup is in some people's listening impressions. Is earwax the unseen mediator of the head-fi world? Seems like a far more reasonable thing to believe in than burn-in radically altering sound signatures, at least.

XoXo.

LOL

"That headphone is so good, but you need to get rid of your earwax first, otherwise it's pretty dull.."

"- Hey guys, I just bought the headphone mentioned in this thread, but it sounds like utter crap..
- Have you checked your earwax?
- No, you were right!! Now it's ah-mazing!"

Edit: BTW, I believe earwax can be a real issue when auditioning headphones..

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,092 of 15,119
A very informative review of the XBA-4:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571775/11-new-sony-ba-iems/540#post_8134519

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,093 of 15,119

Sounds like you may be introverted like myself lol. I've never been a fan of stress and tend to stress out easily (especially when it comes to being super busy). I love being around people but at the same time find it to be quite draining lol.
Quote:
Dear Diary,

Initially this wasn't even intended to be an entry. It just turned out that way, I suppose. Pretty boring and filled with mostly personal stuff, so my feelings wont get hurt if you decide to ignore it.

AccessoryJack has informed my partner and me that the FI-BA-SB wont be ready to ship until the end of the month despite their "1 to 2 days" claim on the website. On the plus side, we've asked them if they have the 1601 SB in stock, and if they do I'll end up with that as my Valentine's Day gift instead. Just waiting on their reply. In other Mupps-related news, the SRH1840 is on its way and should be here by the end of the day. Despite my having canceled the order. lol. I'll be sharing my impressions with you first come tomorrow morning, diary friends. Then on Sunday I should be posting some preliminary thoughts regarding the CKW1000ANV and EX700SL for those interested.

I suppose my TakeT thread needs updating as well, but in all honestly I'm not in much of a hurry to do so. I loath A/Bing headphones, and the prospect of pitting the H2+ against the LCD-3 and SR-009 is not the most enticing given that they each require completely different amping solutions. I'm also still evaluating the TakeT BPP and trying to come to terms with how I feel about it, so I'd rather wait for that before going into any detail with regards to the H2+ and its own super tweeters.

The urge to smoke returned to me after almost four years of abstaining. This strikes me as somewhat bizarre, not to mention unsettling for obvious reasons. Had a Djarum that was kind of stale after sitting at the bottom of a drawer for a while. Didn't enjoy it. Now imbued with a sudden urge to fixate upon something leafy and consumable, I want to get back into brewing loose tea. I'm an avid tea drinker; normally though I settle on pre-packaged teas for the sake of convenience. As much as I enjoy Republic of Tea, especially their green tea, I find myself in need of something more impractical and involving.

I'm working on a series of essays having to do with Neo-Platonism currently, and it's taking a bit of a toll on my mental stability. Stress level? Quite high. For whatever reason I've never been particularly adept at relaxing, or even readily able to unwind in a manner not laced with self-destructive undercurrents. My hobbies for example all involve a certain obsessive compulsive dynamism. Having fun is itself stressful in certain ways.

My somewhat stilted regimin of Debrox has proven successful to some degree. After a day or two of minimal draining, I decided to go at my ears again with one of those plastic ear scoops. The amount of wax that had built up in my left ear was flabbergasting. It was so totally gross. Made me feel so totally gross.

XoXo.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #1,094 of 15,119

Quote:
Addendum:

HeadRoom already refunded me and put in an intercept order on the UPS shipment despite it already being on the truck for delivery. I'm still hoping it gets delivered though so I can play with it for the weekend.

That's nice of them at least they addressed the issue. I initially had an issue with my 601 from them but they quickly fixed this issue and it didn't cost me a dime for shipping in that regard.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,095 of 15,119
Working from home this afternoon. The plan was to keep the package from China unopened until the end of the work day so that I wouldn't waste time experimenting a new toy instead of working. This resolve lasted about 25 minutes.

More later. I really must work now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back