The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #8,086 of 15,119
Mupps, when you said the right earcup of your MA900 flopped, did you mean that it flopped so that the earcup flops so that it goes from upper left to lower right relative to the head like:
O \

or does it flop the otherway into the headband assembly like this:
O /

?

Edit: Just found this post from you:

At 4:38 he lets go of the corded earcup and it "flops" to the diagonal position. Just like mine.

Edit: Upon watching further, it seems both of his earcups may return to the diagonal position by default. On my set the uncorded side stays at the angle in which it's tilted, whereas the corded side exhibits the lack of directional fix.

My pair does this: the left, corded earcup has only slight resistance and just tends to vaguely move with gravity so that the strain relief of the cable points almost straight down and the earcup is only at a small angle. The right earcup flops inwards with a slight 'zipper noise' so that it falls into the headband assembly. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #8,087 of 15,119
Oh man the VAMP is really getting kicked around by the tech press. iLounge just trashed it to no end and threw salt on the wounds with the phrase snake oil.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #8,088 of 15,119
If anyone is curious, posted some eeeeearly first impressions in the MA900 thread, pasted here:

Okay, some first impressions on the sound now that I've had them for a few hours, from my Music Streamer II+ -> Objective2 amp:

They didn't have anything to wow me out of the box, but no glaring issues either. They sound quite neutral, though perhaps on the lighter side of neutral - sharing that general Sony house sound with a peak somewhere in the treble that makes lends violins and female vocals a nice sweet energy, but tends to sound a bit shrill on a lot of electronica. Overall though, still quite smooth and neutral. The headphone I'm most inclined to compare them to is my pair of SA5000's, but that wouldn't be fair to any of you considering that my SA5000's are decidedly not stock.

There are no annoying resonances or ringing that I can hear, so no false echoes that create an artificially wide soundstage. Compared to the SA5000 there is less emphasis on treble and seemingly lower treble resolution, though the peak in the treble means that actually compared to my pair of SA5000's treble is less smooth. The soundstage is not mindblowingly wide (seems about on par or less than the SA5000 because the SA5000's treble tends to emphasise echoes or other high frequency cues in recordings) but placement and layering within that stage seems quite cohesive and articulate. At higher volumes, the treble makes my ears unhappy, so actual listening volume is hovering around 9 o clock on the Objective2's dial.

Despite the bass lens, bass is not really a strong point of the MA900 but not a huge weak point either. Using this swept sine test http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-200.php bass starts quietly at somewhere late after 20hz but only really gets into its stride at around 60/70hz like the Sonove graph suggests. Above that bass is strong, so essentially like the SA5000 it gives an impression of very punchy and clean bass by carrying a lot of the information above 100hz. These do have a strongly visceral sub-bass impact but then again I wouldn't describe them as bass light. Just... neutral sounding.

Overall though, at this very early stage I can say I'm pretty happy. While I haven't heard that many top of the line options, I don't think these are giant killers -  but they seem like a nice, competent package for around $300. (The Japanese price of around $230 would make them a steal I think). They are certainly to me the better candidate for spending 300 bucks on than the Z1000. Hopefully soon I will be able to have a chance to compare them in a meet against the HD600 or other similar candidates.

Considering the amazing wear comfort and reassuringly competent sound quality, these are definitely keepers.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #8,089 of 15,119
Holy - 

I was looking on youtube for spectrograms of music, and I found this (not a spectrogram) - but mesmerising:

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #8,090 of 15,119
Quote:
I haven't heard a song so beautiful in a long time. This really made me emotional. Manly tears were shed ;_;

I also posted this in the metal thread, but this is post-rock instrumental which might appeal to a lot more people.

I couldn't resist and ORDERED the album. Thanks for posting the video

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #8,091 of 15,119
Quote:

Version history is built into OS X, and will be a part of Windows 8, if I recall correctly. It's effectively file journaling, but with an elephant's memory. So you can go back to any saved version of a given file, modulo certain constraints (momentary copies are only kept for a day, hourly copies are only kept for a month, daily copies are only kept for three months...)

But as for remote device file linking, that sounds like an identity and verification nightmare. The best-case scenario is a cloud file system, like Dropbox. (or iCloud, for that matter) But that's less file linking and more reducing each user's device to a smart terminal operating on a common data store.

He's describing metadata, which most file formats have always had, but extended to content relevance. Metatags are a user-accessible variety of metadata, but it's somewhat problematic (see below).

The challenge of well-formed metadata is the demand on the user that it makes. Somebody's got to mark all those files with "My loved one", "my cat", "lunch", and so on. There's been a moderate amount of research about this problem as a human factors issue and the upshot is that very few people will continue to make a diligent effort at it, since it basically amounts to investing time and brainpower into a lot of random work, and the rewards never seem to come (how often will you be searching your photo library for, say, bees?)

Mac OS X has been slowly and kind of awkwardly evolving its file search to infer metadata automatically, but sometimes being not quite good enough is about as useful as not being good at all. And that's a large part of the problem. (Google Images has been increasingly clever in its image searches, but they have a lot of resources, both in terms of data to throw at the problem and in terms of clever people who can be paid to spend all day thinking hard about the problem.)

There are many different kinds of search, and many kinds of search strategies. For example, search often involves recovering a specific previously-experienced thing ("I remember this photo, it had a dog, and it was sunny, and there was a blotch of some kind in the lower right corner, and it had my late aunt in it..."). In the case of automated metadata generation, if the system fails to identify your late aunt, and you've misremembered the breed of dog, and it didn't know the blotch was relevant to your recollection of it, it will have failed your search. If you had manually tagged it, and misspelled your late aunt's name, couldn't remember the breed of dog at the time and just put "dog", and then went on to the next photo to tag, you will have failed at preparing the image for your own search.

I've been on the periphery of some of the research about how users search for information -- on the web and elsewhere -- and I find it fascinating stuff.

Meta data, yes. Meta tags are for all I know used in web development, and only there. He was referring to the tags though, and even if I kind of understood that he wasn't really referring to web development I understood his point. The thing with meta data is that it is usually a pretty rarely updated part of computer science - and for good reason. Going from FAT32 to NTFS involved a lot more behind the curtains than Tech Blogs and most non-computer-science oriented speak was all about. Yes, you could suddenly have filesizes over 4 GB and so on, but there was quite the re-design concerning how the raw data is placed on the hard drive, etcetera. I know that you know this, but for those who don't - the best, or the easiest, way of looking at it is to look at files as "open" data containers (not all data is stored physically on the same place on the hard drives, which is why I chose to refer it to open containers, since a closed container would imply that the actual data are stored together). The meta data is a sort of description on these containers. The changes in NTFS was how this data in the containers are stored, how the descriptions of the containers are written by the system and so on. Very simplified and somewhat wrong, but my post is not meant to be a paper on the subject.

Now, for the idea in my head, it could be done through meta data - yes, and to be honest, it would probably make it faster and more secure. But it is highly unlikely that we would see this kind of functionality through changes in meta data. To be more precise, it is not unlikely we would see this functionality in future filesystems, but it's highly unlikely that we would be seeing it anytime soon. That is why a simple database would be a faster solution (faster as in we'd be seeing these changes sooner rather than later). You could basically do it with only one or two tables; connectionID, file1, file2, and so on.

Basically, this is very much doable even as a third party solution. But if these changes were to be made into the filesystems, which would increase the performance of the functionality, it would probably take longer. Now, I haven't heard if Microsoft, or Apple, are looking into changing filesystems anytime soon - do you know if they have?

As for searches, yes, it is an interesting study object in compsci. It's pretty incredible to see that while we're constantly adjusting to how computers work, one of the main goals with computer science is adjusting computers to how we work. Speaking of this, did you read the Johnny can't encrypt paper?
Quote:
Oh man the VAMP is really getting kicked around by the tech press. iLounge just trashed it to no end and threw salt on the wounds with the phrase snake oil.

Oh snap. On the other hand, when the iPhone changes, I guess the Vamp will change as well. While costly for V-Moda, if the iPhone changes design anytime soon (not a certainty), it doesn't have to mean the end of the product.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #8,092 of 15,119
Quote:
If anyone is curious, posted some eeeeearly first impressions in the MA900 thread:
They are certainly to me the better candidate for spending 300 bucks on than the Z1000.

Interesting. There is another competitor for the same price - semi-open Philips L1. What do you think about MA900's build quality and materials? Does it insult you of looking cheap?

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #8,094 of 15,119
Quote:

As uninterested as I am, at least currently, of high-end priced portable set up, I feel kind of bad reading that. Of course there's that argument to be made that the target consumer that frequents iLounge isn't the intended target, but still, at least they seem to be putting a vague effort to seem "audiophile" enough to readers. 

@Coq de Combat, while that's a fair point, one might still wonder that it still would put some doubt for some people here that's planning to upgrade to the newer iPhone later, and would hesitate to buy the VAMP. At least GoDAP secured their relative future regarding the change the iPhone might have by making a non-casing one, and can work as a USB-powered DAC too, IIRC from the reports of the Spring Fujiya-AVIC show.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #8,097 of 15,119
Interesting find about the MA500: it seems that the drivers will rest on your outer ears, but, the genius in it is that the driver can pivot horizontally to adjust its position to your outer ear, thus creating an angled driver, without angling it permanently. Quite ingenious. Of course all of this is through wonky machine translation. 

It's claimed that the 70mm driver is exclusively designed for the MA900. I would assume this to imply that they are not using the XB1000 drivers maybe possibly, but why would they waste the R&D already put into the XB1000? Nobody knows, except I suppose. And also according to the wonky machine translation, there seems to be a impedance matching circuitry employed for the MA900 for broader versatility. There's something about the design, but it's too wonky to make sense.

In terms of design, but would also support the radical direction of the SA series and the MDR-F1, a futuristic design that are submitted to these models, there is a feeling that finally caught up with the times now. I design the waste Soi same is true for MDR-MA900, not timeless style and ultimate say will become a priority destination-looking utility. 

I mean, come on...

After that it's all too jumbled and wonky to make sense for me. There's some comparison of it to the SA5000, and some comments on something regarding BD and anime. /shrug

What interest me more in that article is that sly adjusting driver-on-ear mechanism that they put in the MA500. I would think that the cups themselves do swivel, and couple with the drivers themselves swivel, that's pretty neat. I think I'll hunt one of those, just because.

Already Google translated for anyone to join in on the machine fun: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phileweb.com%2Freview%2Farticle%2F201204%2F17%2F476.html

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #8,098 of 15,119
Quote:
I couldn't resist and ORDERED the album. Thanks for posting the video

I just went with a friend to have it brought it by the ONLY metal cd shop in the whole country. Got it for 31 SGD ~ 26 USD including shipping :D

I managed to try out the Ultrasone HFI-680. I liked it a lot. I don't really get why they get a lot of flak, as they're quite fun to listen to, especially for metal.
The treble were sparkly and the bass was in abundance but I didn't really find them compromising each other or the midrange. The soundstage was special. It wasn't very accurate, but it was wide and still enjoyable. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #8,099 of 15,119
Quote:

Reminds me of the cat-ear IEMs that were available on AudioCubes for a while.

Quote:
Oh man the VAMP is really getting kicked around by the tech press. iLounge just trashed it to no end and threw salt on the wounds with the phrase snake oil.

V-MODA seemed to be publicity darlings for a while, but the pendulum swings from time to time. I recall some impressions that Val posted concerning the VAMP, where the editor for some popular magazine raved about it saying it was a "game changer" or some similar hyperbole. Such extremes.

Speaking of the company as a whole, I get why there's a lot of fuss over them 'round these parts, as they're marketing trendy headphones that sound good, bringing quality to the average consumer and potentially serving as a gateway to bigger and better things. The M80 is a genuinely nice product, though I personally think the whole "you're the celebrity!" angle is a bit much; they're basically treating customized faceplates as something new and revolutionary.

I think with the VAMP they may be overextending themselves a bit. The portable amp market they're trying to break into is increasingly more crowded, and at the price point they've decided on, they're not exactly competitive. People with little knowledge of portable amps might be impressed the most by it (such as the magazine editor referenced above), though I can also a bit of difficulty in convincing that same demographic that they need something like that in the first place, what amounts to an expensive box that makes one's iPhone more cumbersome.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #8,100 of 15,119
Saw this in the VAMP thread....

The fact that her headphones are plugged into a pizza elevates the ad from just stupid to delightfully stupid. *thumbsup*

Edit: Also I think this kind of mentality is one of head-fi's biggest problems right now. Less wannabe "career" reviewers getting free samples and posting unboxing videos, more people sharing their continually unfolding involvement in a hobby please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back