The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 13, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3,196 of 3,746

Quote:
Quote:

That's approximately how some DIY IEM makers have done it for a while now, but Sharkfin's product looks cheaper and easier to use.

I wonder how well it works, since if it can't project into the ear canal far enough, and won't compress like universal tips to stay in place with friction, it would be prone to falling out, wouldn't it?

Not everybody can afford for the IEM customs, at least they have an option, cheap and maybe good option.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3,197 of 3,746
Kiteki, so what I understood is that JH11 and JH16 has similar/excellent detail definition , and better than  JH13.
So this to you is plus or minus, I think for some recordings its a minus.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #3,198 of 3,746
Quote:
Not everybody can afford for the IEM customs, at least they have an option, cheap and maybe good option.

Absolutely. I'm inclined to get a kit or two myself to see how well it works. I have no illusions about it being as nice as professionally-made customs; the real test is how well it meets expectations as an alternative to currently-available universal tips, and how well it functions on its own terms: Hopefully it does not fall out, break, get gunged easily, or make otherwise perfectly-okay IEMs sound bad. If it is passable by all those tests, $5 is a steal.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #3,199 of 3,746

Quote:
Interesting CES news: Beats and Monster are going their separate ways. Interesting because aside from the obvious reasons, Monster owns the product and its design and Beats owns the branding and marketing. I feel ambivalent about this, weirdly enough. I can't think of anything they made that I liked using, but "goodbye to bad rubbish" is not among the thoughts I'm thinking.

good news everyone

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #3,200 of 3,746
I think Monster has some really inspired designers working for them. At least, I get that sense when I look at the Miles Davis Trumpets. I'm sure the thought of buying an IEM because it's unique looking will send more practical minded head-fiers into a tizzy, but to be honest it's kind of tempting.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #3,201 of 3,746

Quote:
I think Monster has some really inspired designers working for them. At least, I get that sense when I look at the Miles Davis Trumpets. I'm sure the thought of buying an IEM because it's unique looking will send more practical minded head-fiers into a tizzy, but to be honest it's kind of tempting.

I can't imagine the ones "responsible" for the beats (SQ) being happy about places like head-fi where they are pretty hated. Especially the engineers trying to make them sound good (and maybe even succeeded, I haven't heard them) despite having bosses yelling "MOAR BASS!!1" - only to be shot down by people here hating the brand itself, screaming "the sound sucks!!" without having heard them, because it's a popular brand to bash. If they really love what they do, it can't be a fun employment - the audiophiles hate them, their bosses apparently not giving them enough freedom to make products that sounds the way they're priced, and so on.

I don't know, I guess I'm just ranting here. I could be VERY far off as well, but when I think of beats by dre, I immediately feel a bit sorry for the middlemen (engineers and such) there. I don't know. I can imagine the split coming as a welcomed thing for them, since monster have a little more appreciation and merit to them, than the beats by dre line gives them credit for, among the enthusiasts.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3,202 of 3,746
I hope I didn't start a flamewar.

I find the whole Monster Dre Beats phenomenon interesting and like I've said before, I think that it's ultimately been a good phenomenon for headphone enthusiasts, even if the products themselves are not things we consider appealing.

Unfortunately I have to leave it at that and check into work now, but I can ramble on about this further if there's interest.

In other news, I pulled my old Super.fi 3 Pros out of storage. They're just kind of dull and workmanlike, but did the job until the channel imbalance got too bad. After trying to get the right channel up to proper volume and failing, I decided that if I can't bring the mountain to Muhammed, I may as well cut a sliver of cosmetic tissue and stuff it in the pipe of the left channel.

It'll work well enough for now. Objectively not sound as good as the full-sized cans I've been using at work, but subjectively better since it'll block more of the ambient noise that's been making music hard to hear clearly. Maybe I'll get a pair of Tri.fi 10 to tide me over until the customs arrive, since that looks like it's going to be quite a while.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #3,203 of 3,746
fwiw, If somebody has a better suggestion than the Tri.fi 10 for under $150, and is available on Amazon now, I am open to suggestions. I like an audiophile sound, maybe a little bass emphasis. The Etymotic house sound is appealing to me, but I am not a fan of Etys themselves.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #3,205 of 3,746

Quote:
I hope I didn't start a flamewar.

I find the whole Monster Dre Beats phenomenon interesting and like I've said before, I think that it's ultimately been a good phenomenon for headphone enthusiasts, even if the products themselves are not things we consider appealing.

Oh I don't think you did. Personally I was just venting some thoughts that had been bioling inside of me. I'm not especially interested in the beats by dre, the build quality seem pretty bad, I'm not crazy about their looks (I don't like it at all and would feel ridiculous walking around with them on me - as opposed to the HD25-1 II, good sound, good isolation and good looks: perfect portable solution) and so on. Just feel a little sorry for the guys working for them, probably wanting to release a serious product, but their bosses are probably making the opposite decisions and the enthusiasts keep saying it's the worst thing they've heard and so on. I don't know, I might be pretty far off but those are the thoughts I'm getting..

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #3,208 of 3,746
So I'm going to be placing my order for the LS8 in the next few days. Here's the Rooth color chart:

I like my first idea of going with blue (bottom row, second from left) and red (bottom row, fourth from left) for the different channels. I kind of like the more transparent azur and pink colors though. "Clear black" is kind of neat too.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3,209 of 3,746

Quote:
 I'm not especially interested in the beats by dre, the build quality seem pretty bad, I'm not crazy about their looks (I don't like it at all and would feel ridiculous walking around with them on me - as opposed to the HD25-1 II, good sound, good isolation and good looks: perfect portable solution) and so on. 

I think that the Beats became popular because of Apple iPods and iPhone. They together make a complete style statement. Guys at Sennheiser realized that and decided to introduce an upgraded version of HD 25-1 ii called Sennheiser Amperior HD 25 which were colored and added microphone/remote to better suit aluminum Apple products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back