The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,952 of 3,746
You keep messin' up kiteki's game Progger...

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,957 of 3,746
MuppetFace: As portable DAC/amps go, I am happy and content with my Leckerton UHA-6S and will probably only replace it if it breaks. I've never even experimented with different op-amps, which I hear is what the kids do now that tube-rolling is old school. It's flown under the radar of head-fi mostly (the UHA-4 has more of a following).

The Fostex HP-P1 sounded better (and it doesn't require a micro-USB connector) but it's also bigger, and that's always a penalty in portable gear. The Fostex is fully iPod-compatible while the Leckerton will only work with digital output from the iPad (through an adaptor). Since my on-the-road listening is mostly through my iPad, that's less of a problem for me than it would be for most people.

The Fostex is also more handsome, tho' I personally find the Leckerton appealing in its Hammond case. What can I say? I grew up in a household where the basement was full of electronic components. Metal cased equipment with etched Leroy-lettering faceplates feels nostalgic to me.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,958 of 3,746
Dec 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,961 of 3,746

Quote:
Kiteki is having posting withdrawals as we speak.

We should start a contest. Everyone on this thread should throw 20 bones into a pot. We then start spamming the thread and the first head-fier to get kitki to post wins the pot

@ MuppetFace

I don't possess the fanciest mobile rig on here but most of my kit is geared toward on the go listening and I have to say I'm rather happy with my mobile gear.
Below is two examples of the main mobile rig I use when running around the house or going out getting stuff done at the store. The amp is rather funky looking (Marilyn) and was put together by a fellow head-fier. For whatever reason Marilyn seems to love my Grado SR60i's and especially loves most of my IEM's. The Turbine Copper rig and the MDR EX600 setups are by far the best sounding with the MDR EX600 sounding freaking sick for rock/metal/jazz music.

MDR EX600 Setup

Monster Turbine Copper Setup

By the way what ardgedee commented on involving the Leckerton seems to be the consensus on the forums. The Leckerton is a very capable mobile amp from what I've read. If you decide to go with it I doubt you could go wrong. Another option is the soon to be released iBasso DX100. Right now me kitki and others are waiting on the final spec announcement with our fingers crossed hoping iBasso can pull off an audiophile DAP that doesn't involve any of use selling a kidney in order to buy it.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,964 of 3,746

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was looking at the Fostex HP-P1 earlier, but the the Leckerton UHA-6S sounds more ideal. Out of curiosity, anyone try the TTVJ Slim?

Never tried it but I've read enough about it. It's a SS amp but various people on here have said it has a smooth almost tube like sound to it. Tyll of Inner fidelity really liked it with the DT1350 and others on here liked it with the MDR EX600 and 1000. If you buy the TTVJ don't buy the DAC add on. The DAC option is supposed to be decent but not great and for the price you pay for the DAC option you can get other better sounding options for around the same price. The Fostex from what I've read is a wonderful amp/DAC combo but it only works for an iPod. If you want to stick with an Apple echo system it's a no brainer but if you want to go a different route DAP wise down the road the Foxtex becomes useless. Keep that in mind before you decide to commit. By the way if you want to go custom a wonderful entry level CIEM is the 1964 Ears. Joker scored them quite high and others on here have raved about them. If you want to go universal I recommend the j-phonic K2 Sp. Everything I've read about them screams quality and great sounding audio precision. ClieOS seems especially impressed with them and recommended them in Inner Fidelity's IEM gift guide. If you want some more options in mobile amps Mike from Headphonia did a wonderful in depth review covering 12 of the heavy hitters in mobile amps, you can find the article HERE. Welcome to the IEM world Muppet, you'll find playing around with IEM's mobile amps/DAC's and tip rolling every bit as fun as your headphone collecting. Might as well say it now, I feel sorry for your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back