The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #376 of 3,746
Thanks!

His comments on HM-101:

"The sound was remarkably analog, and it reminds me a lot of the sound of the HRT Music Streamer DACs. And due to the analog sound signature, I really don’t mind the high noise and grain levels, as it goes really well in the overall presentation, sort of how grain always romanticize film-based photographs, or how pops and noises are an accepted part of the whole vinyl listening experience. The warm and mid-centric tonality is very likable. Not only because it’s warm and mid-centric, but also because you never get a feeling that things are dark and muffled, thanks to the superb, spacious depth of the soundstage giving a very good image of the venue where the recording was taken.
I have no complain with the treble as it was clear enough and wasn’t wrong or bothersome to my ears. The bass, as always, is a bit loose on budget devices, and I’ve learned to accept that compromise as long as it doesn’t go to the boomy category. However the TDA1308 based headphone amplifier lacks the punch in the bass. I think it has enough body in the bass, but just not enough punch and that’s why I’d rather have the signal passed on to a different amp like the Fiio E6 which I already find to improve the bass punch. But obviously that takes out some of the fidelity and the awesome soundstage that I was raving about earlier, and also the beauty of a simple one-box operation. Hence, I would recommend the HM-101 if you don’t mind a slightly less punchy bass section in return for an super-awesome soundstage for only $39.
The headphone amp and DAC section is amazingly free of artifacts as I didn’t pick up anything even listening to the super resolving HD800 and the Beyerdynamic T1. Once again, if the bass was a tad punchier, the HM-101 would have been the perfect device."

What on earth?

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #377 of 3,746
- hey kiteki, how about trying the futuresonics MG6pro customs?

i took a plunge and ordered these last week myself, because of the premise of better coherency, more realistic bass i found in dynamic drivers (= 

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #379 of 3,746
WAIT I WAS REVISITING WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE UE700 FOR 99 WHERE DID U GET THEM ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I REALLY WANT THEM kinda a big UE fan :p

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #380 of 3,746
I told you where to get the clip+/clip zip online for the cheapest price possible and you said you'll wait until you go to Hong Kong? Lol.

Somehow I don't think telling you where to buy the UE700 is going to help.

If you want to hunt deals, then you can simply follow this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/518656/the-iem-portable-headphones-deal-alerts-thread-no-affiliate-links-permitted/

If you want a cheap amplifier, these seem to be amongst the most popular http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html, http://www.jdslabs.com/products.php?page=cmoy

If you want to buy things in person, then you can go to a Sonystyle store, or this one www.addictedtoaudio.com.au

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #381 of 3,746

Quote:
- hey kiteki, how about trying the futuresonics MG6pro customs?

i took a plunge and ordered these last week myself, because of the premise of better coherency, more realistic bass i found in dynamic drivers (= 

Thousand Sound TS842 uses a dynamic driver along with the Etymotic ER-4 driver and that sounds like a 'winning' combination to me.

Edit: Just thought I should clarify:

Knowles ---> Etymotic
Knowles ---> Thousand Sound.
(not Etymotic ---> Thousand Sound)

Knowles make the drivers for the vast majority of balanced armature IEM's and custom IEM's, other driver manufacturers include Sonion and someone else haha.

It's very rare for a company to make their own balanced armature drivers, and (AFAIK) none of the custom IEM companies currently do that, just to clarify, so the drivers themselves are free game.

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #383 of 3,746
News for you dear: http://asia.cnet.com/product/sony-xba-2-45699793.htm

Sound: The XBA-2 would likely be the most popular model among the four (XBA-1 to 4) due to the good price-to-performance ratio you'd expect from dual-driver headphones. However, Sony's choice of pairing a woofer with a full-range driver gives these earbuds a distinct bass-focused response with a clear midrange and recessed treble. The soundstage wasn't particularly wide but there was very clear separation between the channels. The lack of treble, however, will make rock and classical sound a bit lifeless. Hi-hat hits will take the biggest hit while female vocals come off as less lively.

Their take: With more than a handful of balanced armature headphones in the market these days, Sony is in for a tough fight. The triple- and quad-driver models would be the ones to look at if you're an audiophile for their better bass and treble definition. The single driver model would likely provide more detail than most of Sony's affordable EX-series earbuds, but--judging from the performance of the XBA-2--may not be able to beat similar offerings from brands with more experience in balanced armature technology such as Shure and Etymotic Research. The dual-driver version, on the other hand, may not sound as balanced as other dual-driver IEMs from Sony's competitors.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #386 of 3,746

Quote:
[...] brands with more experience in balanced armature technology such as Shure and Etymotic Research. The dual-driver version, on the other hand, may not sound as balanced as other dual-driver IEMs from Sony's competitors.

Right, so Etymotic put a Knowles driver in an IEM 20 years ago, called it the ER-4, and hasn't released a better IEM since.

Sony (apparently) has spent 3 years developing their new BA IEM's, and has shifted their dev. team away from dynamic drivers, and they are "less experienced" than Etymotic and Shure, that don't even develop any BA or dynamic drivers in IEM's, right?

What I mean is, the Sony crossovers (or non-existence thereof), the propriertary and unique design of the BA drivers, and them having the longest experience of all companies in making portable earphones, just turns that statement into a pile of horse**** (imho).

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #387 of 3,746

Quote:
glad to hear u got ur custom iems dude :) cant wait to read ur review on them. did u get a pair of thousand sounds?

Thanks =p but I don't have anything yet, silly me used cheap shipping and my impressions took 21 days to get there, I won't be doing that again Lol.

I don't have any customs yet, I'll post pictures of them in this thread when I receive them.

No I didn't decide on Thousand Sound in the end, you can read about which CIEM I decided on in post #360 here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-kitekis-adventures-in-audioland-latest-memoir-sony-nw-z1000-new-dap/345#post_7835091

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #389 of 3,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL my newly purchased t51 might be in for a quick retirement

Perhaps, just keep in mind Sony use less power hungry components than the T51 so they can preserve battery life and keep their DAP's thin and good-looking, which is more important to their consumers than 20% better sound quality.

If you're lusting for even better sound than the T51, you can always open it up and exchange the TDA1308 chip for something else..... there's a forum that discusses that somewhere, I can't recall right now.

I'm not saying the Sony will sound worse than the T51, it might sound better! I'm just keeping the battery life and form factor in mind (something Hifiman doesn't care about for example, the HM-601 doesn't even fit in my pocket, I hate using it outside, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back