The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #14,837 of 21,763
Quote:
Ok... I have to say this in Spanish... "MUERTE A SCHEME!!!!!!!!!!"
Ugh, how I hated it.
I don't know why my Professor thought it was a good idea to teach us this POS!! (I don't even know how I passed the class! LOL). Anyway, stay away from Scheme please!

Actually, you haven't seen a POS programming language if you haven't seen APL. It uses obscure symbols instead of words and you have to get a special keyboard for it. You have to read / think from right to left, because it's modelled on reverse polish notation. Loops and parentheses are shunned, and the "best" coders are able to pack an entire program into a single line.

On the plus side, you can calculate the outer product of n-dimensional arrays with a single function. I and a few selected colleagues had the pleasure of doing APL for a several years, back when huge mainframes still ruled. With a single mistype on our keyboards, we were able to bring those giant number crunchers to their knees. We felt like supermen, the system operators knew our phone numbers by heart. 
wink.gif

Quote:
... I shall be the proud new owner of a brand spanking new UERM with funky artwork. I can hardly wait. Now to fight the urge to buy a pricey TOTL mobile amp for it

Buuut... you won't get the best out of it without a pricey TOTL mobile amp. 
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
You guys are fast writers!

So here's one more from a slow writer, welcome back and all the best, CdC!  
smile_phones.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #14,839 of 21,763
Quote:
It's Screwtape's nephew.
biggrin.gif
My wife's writing a book based on The Screwtape Letters, but from Wormwood's perspective and includes his exploits. It's, uuh, a little disturbing in parts, actually most of it is disturbing.

Yes, but good disturbing :) Let us know when the book comes out !

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #14,840 of 21,763
@Coq de Combat. It actually does go over different topologies and protocols. Not as in-depth as the Networking book but they basically want you to know the basics (understand the concepts and some of the terms associated).

Thanks for offering help. I may have to take you up on that.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #14,841 of 21,763
Quote:
Exactly, I agree. It's better to know it than not know it.

You are now prepared and equipped my friend, and that's the best that any of us could ask for. 
smile.gif

Quote:

I'm sure you're a good moderator. At the very least, I expect you to be lenient with us diary regulars. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
  LOL, why does everyone keep saying stuff like this?  But yes, it certainly helps to have a good lay of the land for certain threads. 
redface.gif
  Also, since you've been gone for a little while, you might be interested to know that AnakChan is also a mod now.

Quote:

Quote:
Well, I'll be gathering final impressions in about 5 days, so let's see if they are still magical then.  In the meantime, I need to figure out how to audition a TH900 to satisfy this crazy curiosity I've got (and for comparo purposes).

Excellent.
In the meantime, I wont look at more pics of this headphone! :p

Yeah, that might be a good idea.  I usually take initial impressions down because I want to see if there is any significant change due to burn-in.  On some cans, burn-in does very little if anything at all.  On others, there is a noticeable difference - and it's not always a positive difference I'm sad to say.  Anyway, we'll know about this unit in a few days or so.

Quote:
I'm betting they're more like the TH600s then. The 900s, overall, have a little better driver control, lower extension, and lower distortion, but it isn't a night and day difference. They're still great cans, far better than almost anything else in their range.

Yeah, that might be the case.  I mean, a metal TH900 at one third of the (retail) price would just be too good to be true wouldn't it?  BTW, just looking forward, but should I expect any change after burn-in at all?

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #14,842 of 21,763
:D   LOL, why does everyone keep saying stuff like this?  But yes, it certainly helps to have a good lay of the land for certain threads.  :xf_eek:   Also, since you've been gone for a little while, you might be interested to know that AnakChan is also a mod now.

Maybe because it's all based on experience? :wink:

While this forum isn't as anarchic as the last forum that I am very active in, getting on the mods' good side has lots of perks.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #14,843 of 21,763
Quote:
In other news, the order has been officially placed and my receipt was received as of an hour ago. All that remains now is to book a appointment with an audiologist and in a few weeks I shall be the proud new owner of a brand spanking new UERM with funky artwork. I can hardly wait. Now to fight the urge to buy a pricey TOTL mobile amp for it

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Ahem, Portaphile 627?

Quote:
I still have it and listen to it. This is head-fi soldier where having one custom is never enough
wink_face.gif

"This is my 4.A.  There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

Quote:
@Warren The coolest, coolest thing about those headphones is that they fold up. Like, people will be carrying around these near top tier pricing full size headphones with them casually. A semi-philosophical question: does a headphone simply become a portable one when it folds up? Can this rightly be considered the ultra M-100? :D

Hahaha, only you would say that. 
biggrin.gif
  Most people geek out on the chrome and metal thing.

I think so yeah.  Engineering in a well-functioning folding option is no trivial matter.  So I gotta think that, if the creators went through the trouble of doing so, they fully intended it to be portable.

An Ultra M-100?  I guess that's a good way to look at it.  Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the V-Moda look.  I don't think I wear enough leather to rock that look properly.  These, these I could get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

During lunch break I've created a habit of going out to sit under a tree in the grass with music and something to eat and read. It helps me relax quite a bit. When I did that yesterday though... oh boy.  I was sitting there, minding my own business, and this short white spider came and bit me in the foot. Totally unprovoked. Luckily swedish spiders are totally harmless but it still felt quite a bit .. Anyway, I think it's a turf war and today, if I see him, I'll bite him in the foot to show him that it's my tree. My office mate suggested that the spider maybe had a bad exam today, or got his article rejected or something. It's great to have office mates with a sense of humour.

I like this story. 
smile.gif
  I'd love to see it drawn...
wink.gif

Quote:
Plan A is to go look for a masters in Freedomland.

If Plan A is what I think it is, I am completely in support of it! 
smile.gif

EDIT:  Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif
  LOL, why does everyone keep saying stuff like this?

Maybe because it's all based on experience?
wink.gif
  While this forum isn't as anarchic as the last forum that I am very active in, getting on the mods' good side has lots of perks.

LOL, you know I'm still not gonna edit TMAC's first post right? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #14,844 of 21,763
Hey DF, are you familiar with Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats? I really enjoyed their first album. They channel the early 70s vibe well.
Which is actually part of what I'm trying to write about, if this writers' block ever goes away.

I've got the FitEar Parterre here. For some reason I can't really think of anything to say about it right now. I like it tho.

Also I've been playing Last of Us, a little bit every morning. This is one seriously good game. I'm absolutely enthralled by it so far.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #14,846 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Ahem, Portaphile 627?

I wonder if he would really go that route with the main objective of the UERM being totally flat and non-colored? Then again I like to add a little color to back and white.
biggrin.gif

Well... he's got a C5 (I think) if he wants to do the flat thing.  But, as I've found with my O2, the flat thing isn't always the best thing. 
smile.gif
  BTW, did you really get rid of your 1plus2?

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #14,847 of 21,763
Quote:

Well... he's got a C5 (I think) if he wants to do the flat thing.  But, as I've found with my O2, the flat thing isn't always the best thing. 
smile.gif
  BTW, did you really get rid of your 1plus2?

Personally I found the O2 to have its own coloration. The sound staging is very stretched out with barely any depth to the sound. Doesn't sound natural to my ears. It's a more aggressive sounding amp overall. Still really good for the price though :).

Hell no I didn't sell my 1Plus2 :p. I just pointed Idysy to a really good deal on the forums. Since he didn't seem too enthralled with his 334s and while the guy selling his 1Plus2 wasn't so enthralled with them either (put two and two together and you got a trade) :p. Basically the guy selling offered to trade for the 334 and I thought of Idysy. So I let him know :). Considering the 1Plus2 with the gold cable is roughly $1,500.00, trading for the 334 is a steal of a deal. Maybe they'll both be happy with the results in the end :).

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #14,848 of 21,763
Hahaha, only you would say that.  :D   Most people geek out on the chrome and metal thing.

I think so yeah.  Engineering in a well-functioning folding option is no trivial matter.  So I gotta think that, if the creators went through the trouble of doing so, they fully intended it to be portable.

An Ultra M-100?  I guess that's a good way to look at it.  Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the V-Moda look.  I don't think I wear enough leather to rock that look properly.  These, these I could get used to.

What headphone are both of you talking about?

Hey DF, are you familiar with Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats? I really enjoyed their first album. They channel the early 70s vibe well.
Which is actually part of what I'm trying to write about, if this writers' block ever goes away.

I've got the FitEar Parterre here. For some reason I can't really think of anything to say about it right now. I like it tho.

Also I've been playing Last of Us, a little bit every morning. This is one seriously good game. I'm absolutely enthralled by it so far.

Too bad it's a PS3 exclusive, and I don't have a PS3. Wish there's something like it to come for PC though. Or generally more of the genre (unless I missed most of it). Looking forward to reading the Parterre obelisk of text.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #14,849 of 21,763
Quote:
I'm roughly half way through the Tomorrow's Harvest CD. Part way in I now understand what ardgedee was talking about when he posted earlier in the thread. It's an incredibly depressing CD to listen to. The music seems to paint a bleak and forever lost sort of world. [...] For me the songs makes me feel like I'm seeing the world through the eyes of a manic depressant who escaped after years in the asylum and is experiencing culture shock and has come to realize he'll never again be able to return to the sane world. He also seems to be able to see past the everyday fluff of mainstream society and see's the world for what it is, sick and slowly dying.

What it brought to mind the other night is Tomorrow's Harvest hearkens back to the Cold War side of the recent past more than their other albums. It's a musical Scarfolk, in a way -- mingling the era's ambient fears of annihilation with modern terrors, presented through the nostalgia-riddled esthetics of 1970s institutional design and craft. But not played for laughs (or, at least, BoC isn't playing for the audience's laughter).

I think people who reached adulthood in North America or Europe before 1989 will always hear a different album than people born later.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #14,850 of 21,763
I've been listening to Tomorrow's Harvest as well. I can't say that I know BoC's discography that well (I only have Geogaddi and Music Has The Right to compare) but I quite like it. Particularly the subtle little samples that suggest ghostly narratives to the tracks. Particularly the track 'White Cyclosa', with the helicopter samples, just makes me think of Apocalypse Now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back