The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #14,821 of 21,763
Just finished Tomorrow's Harvest and I've moved on to 13 by Sabbath. I've gone from bleak to heavy and dark, I'm seeing a trend.

tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #14,822 of 21,763
Quote:
Just finished Tomorrow's Harvest and I've moved on to 13 by Sabbath. I've gone from bleak to heavy and dark, I'm seeing a trend.

tongue.gif

Jesus man, whatever you do stay away from any sharp objects
eek.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #14,823 of 21,763
Quote:
Jesus man, whatever you do stay away from any sharp objects
eek.gif

Lol, no worries, I locked myself in my room away from anything sharp and have pictures of care bears on my screen to keep the dark thoughts at bay.
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #14,825 of 21,763
Quote:
To much to read in detail ! :wink:

I see you have 30 days of Night. This is adapted from a comic from Ben Templesmith. I advise anyone to read his works. I just LOVE his universe. Check out this comic (Wormwood) for instance. It is the story of an era-old worm inhabitting bodies and acting as special agent for heaven / hell.

WORMWOOD IS SO GOOD OMG

I also adore the art in it. One of my top 5 comic/graphic novels. Not to mention his humor is right down my alley :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #14,827 of 21,763
Quote:
wink_face.gif
 Might have to extend you a life-line with Yanni... 
dt880smile.png

Not a big Yanni fan but thanks anyways.

Thus far, 13 sounds like pretty standard modern day Sabbath fare. There were rumblings on the metal music boards of people claiming Iommi had been quoted as saying the new album would be a return to the bands Paranoid  and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath days. Thus far I can only say 13 is a far cry from those days. 13 still has that traditional doom flavor that Sabbath is known for but it's the more modernized heavy metal infused sound that took front and center back when Ozzy got booted and Rodney James Dio stepped in. I miss Sabbaths doomy old psychedelic infused sound from back in the early 70's when they put out Paranoid. Early in, the song that stands out the most to me would be Zeitgeist, very Planet Caravan sounding in certain spots, gorgeous sounding song. At least that's something.

UPDATE:
Alright, finally, we have some truth behind the rumors. I'm nearing the end of the first CD and the song Damaged Soul is very old school Sabbath sounding. It's about freaking time. Not exactly a lot of psychedelic elements but Paranoid era sounding nonetheless. Wonder what else 13 has in store for me?

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #14,828 of 21,763
To much to read in detail ! :wink:

I see you have 30 days of Night. This is adapted from a comic from Ben Templesmith. I advise anyone to read his works. I just LOVE his universe. Check out this comic (Wormwood) for instance. It is the story of an era-old worm inhabitting bodies and acting as special agent for heaven / hell.

It's Screwtape's nephew. :D My wife's writing a book based on The Screwtape Letters, but from Wormwood's perspective and includes his exploits. It's, uuh, a little disturbing in parts, actually most of it is disturbing.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #14,830 of 21,763
Anyone else here enjoying the new season of the Venture Brothers? They finally made Hank cool: first as the Bat, and now as the Countess. If he keeps going, he'll be a full-blown action hero by the end of the show. I just wish that Orpheus would get more screen time...

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #14,831 of 21,763
I've been listening to music nonstop since 6 PM until now, it's nearly 1 AM. For whatever reason I still want more. If I didn't have work tomorrow I'd probably fix myself a nice pot of coffee and make a quick run for some pastries maybe even stop and grab some nice smooth brandy for my coffee and pull an all night listening session. Not the first time I've had one of those. Haven't had a sip of brandy in over a year now that I stop and think about it.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #14,832 of 21,763
You guys are fast writers!

Quote:
Yeah, I finished my uni just last Monday. Now all that's left is the paperworks to officially end my time here in Moscow.

Congrats my friend! Are you going to work or apply for a masters somewhere?
beerchug.gif

Inside your cup, put what-e-v-e-r you like! 
biggrin.gif

Agreed! I'd suggest some energetic darker tea with a party flavour.. :)
This. Almost every language is simply remembering what words do what, what punctuations do what, etc.

The hard part is getting the logic down behind it, and being able to not only trace the functions of a program, but be able to make them in the most efficient method. It's weird, I can work with electrical schematics fairly easily, but the only time I'm able to code worth a crap is when I'm under the influence of things I'd rather not mention. Safe to say, I don't code anymore 
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to see you back btw Coq! On a positive note, you know what your diagnosis is, so that should be somewhat of a breath of relief. Also the fact you have all of us here to support you (I think if we ever did a diary meet, it would be the most intense party one could think of.)

A diary meet would be awesome, although a little difficult to make it happen since a lot of us really come from different parts of the world. We actually have, IIRC, almost every continent covered except for Africa - right?

Exactly, the logic is the hardest part. Luckily, we did have courses on discrete mathematics and logic, which actually helped us a great bit.
Whoops, missed this the first time around. Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be sure to check out some books about that.
Intense party of tea-drinking! Wait...

Actually, any book recommendations on OOP? 5-minute research came up with this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596008678/?tag=stackoverfl08-20

I have that book in digital format. I haven't read it, but if you want me to I can skim through it to see whether it's good or not. The thing about those particular books, the "Head First" series, is that they have a lot of pictures to explain what they mean (it almost looks like a kids book).

Good old CS curricula tried to start students off with languages that were relatively unbound from complex OSes so that students could concentrate on principles and fundamentals; it becomes easier to understand how the software and hardware underneath the OS is running if you don't have waste time making your application interface with the visual user interface.

The best modern language to start learning in is probably Python; There are a couple good sites (Learn Python, Learn Python the Hard Way) which will not only teach you the language but also, along the way, enough of the rudiments of computer science to make it relatively easy to branch out to other languages.

Of course if you really want to rock it old school, do it MIT style and learn Scheme.

Over the years I've had to deal with a lot of university-level computer programming degree graduates who only understand programming in very rote ways (typically, due to curricula based primarily on learning Java, and extra semesters of courses in other languages more or less as afterthoughts), and can't really project their experiences and knowledge into new development environments.

Which is not that Java is evil, it's more that it seems very bound up in making programs that have to interact with the real world, rather than existing as an environment to play in, building ad-hoc logical edifices and fiddling with them.

Of course I can speak offhandedly about all of this: I'm a developer with a liberal arts degree and I'm mostly self-taught. It's fun!

We have a few scientists at my work that learned Scheme. It's rather interesting that they do code and program, but against datasets with SAS or R. I held a lecture for them on how to use SQL in SAS, which I think is rad. They greatly appreciated it. :)

I'm actually (finally lol) about done with the Comp TIA A+ Certification Book. It's taken me much longer to complete than I'd personally like it to. Motivation is the hardest thing for me to keep these days. Stuff like this was nothing back then.... I'm finding myself having to psych myself up to do basic things. But I've only got like 3 chapters left then the practice tests. Once I'm getting 90% or better on those tests I'm ready. I've already paid for the exams so I can schedule them anytime. But I'm making sure I'm ready as I'm not so good under pressure these days :p. I remember back in school when I'd procrastinate just before a test/projects. Do a quick review/cram session and Ace things. Lost that magic sadly.
tongue.gif

Anyways once I get my certification I'll also shoot for the Networking and Security certifications.

Hey., that's great my friend!

I read about the A+ cert via google, it says basic network stuff. Does it go through different topologies and protocols as well?

When you get to the security certs, you can always ask me for help. I had plenty IT-/infosec courses on the subject - it's pretty fun but it helps you to understand the basics of packets, protocols and such.
Y'arrrgh. *quickly skim reads last few pages*

@Warren The coolest, coolest thing about those headphones is that they fold up. Like, people will be carrying around these near top tier pricing full size headphones with them casually. A semi-philosophical question: does a headphone simply become a portable one when it folds up? Can this rightly be considered the ultra M-100? :D

@Coq de Combat  It's so awesome to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but at least you have a name for the black bear now. Remember to stay connected! :xf_eek:

@Veryron That sucks. What makes you so sure you actually just threw the XBA-3 away?

@Muppet I'm actually really not liking this trend towards hybrid designs right now. I'm not at all convinced that a single dynamic micro-driver can't perform wonderfully if optimised well. This all just smacks of overengineering, same as my experience with the Rhapsodio 2v1...

Thank you my friend. It's good to see everyone of you guys as well. Some still are missing though: music, maverick, is James still around?
I remember first reading MF's review awhile back and laughing myself silly at the hurling a brick through T-Peo's office window comment, lol.

That one got to me as well. If something sounds so bad that I actually want to hurl a brick through their office, then it's probably pretty damn bad! 

I don't like to litter the thread with wall of texts where the large part is the quote part - so I just spoiler'd everything.

Otherwise when it comes to work, I'm still at that medical institution. They've said that they'll continue my project and that I will be hired under their flag starting 1st of august. We've had a lot of changes in the IT infrastructure this spring and summer, so it's been kind of hectic and I've been more or less forced to help the IT dep out with support, and to be honest, I'm glad I don't work with support. I'm just more comfortable doing changes to databases and code. During lunch break I've created a habit of going out to sit under a tree in the grass with music and something to eat and read. It helps me relax quite a bit. When I did that yesterday though... oh boy.

I was sitting there, minding my own business, and this short white spider came and bit me in the foot. Totally unprovoked. Luckily swedish spiders are totally harmless but it still felt quite a bit .. Anyway, I think it's a turf war and today, if I see him, I'll bite him in the foot to show him that it's my tree. My office mate suggested that the spider maybe had a bad exam today, or got his article rejected or something. It's great to have office mates with a sense of humour.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #14,833 of 21,763
Quote:
You guys are fast writers!
I don't like to litter the thread with wall of texts where the large part is the quote part - so I just spoiler'd everything.

Otherwise when it comes to work, I'm still at that medical institution. They've said that they'll continue my project and that I will be hired under their flag starting 1st of august. We've had a lot of changes in the IT infrastructure this spring and summer, so it's been kind of hectic and I've been more or less forced to help the IT dep out with support, and to be honest, I'm glad I don't work with support. I'm just more comfortable doing changes to databases and code. During lunch break I've created a habit of going out to sit under a tree in the grass with music and something to eat and read. It helps me relax quite a bit. When I did that yesterday though... oh boy.

I was sitting there, minding my own business, and this short white spider came and bit me in the foot. Totally unprovoked. Luckily swedish spiders are totally harmless but it still felt quite a bit .. Anyway, I think it's a turf war and today, if I see him, I'll bite him in the foot to show him that it's my tree. My office mate suggested that the spider maybe had a bad exam today, or got his article rejected or something. It's great to have office mates with a sense of humour.

OMG I just realized welcome back CDC 
size]

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #14,835 of 21,763
I still have it and listen to it. This is head-fi soldier where having one custom is never enough :wink_face:

What weird naming scheme :confused_face_2:

4(period)A.

Actually, I was taught Python in my first year here in Moscow. IIRC I grasped most of what was taught pretty swiftly. Hmm. Might as well restart there then.

Just saw a mention elsewhere of Let's Grid, which is a new attempt at a learner's language. Might be fun to try.

Spent a few minutes with it, and it's pretty straightforward. I think for beginners, it's crucial to see the results of what they are taught almost immediately/real-time. That's how I feel, at least at the start, from this "Let's Grid".

Yeah, I finished my uni just last Monday. Now all that's left is the paperworks to officially end my time here in Moscow.

Congrats my friend! Are you going to work or apply for a masters somewhere?
-----
Whoops, missed this the first time around. Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be sure to check out some books about that.

Intense party of tea-drinking! Wait...

Actually, any book recommendations on OOP? 5-minute research came up with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8

I have that book in digital format. I haven't read it, but if you want me to I can skim through it to see whether it's good or not. The thing about those particular books, the "Head First" series, is that they have a lot of pictures to explain what they mean (it almost looks like a kids book).
----------

Plan A is to go look for a masters in Freedomland. Plan B is still formulating. :p
------
If you can spare the time to skim the book, I will be highly grateful. I don't think I'd mind lots of pictures though. There's a reason that picture books mostly works on children, and I don't see why not for adult books too, is my reasoning.
------------
Man vs Spider!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back