The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #14,792 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:
(I think if we ever did a diary meet, it would be the most intense party one could think of.)

Intense party of tea-drinking! Wait...

I think if we did meet/greet (over tea?), it would be great if we all brought additional tea bowls and cups and exchanged them among members.

Predictably, someone would be getting a "Lidded tea bowl." 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #14,793 of 21,763
Alright, this is a rather dumb turn of events. I recently ordered the Dark Knight OST from Amazon and just received a phone call from the shipping company, UPS. UPS?!?!?!?! Usually when I order anything from Amazon.com it's usually DHL or USPS not UPS. Because the seller decided to send my CD via UPS I now have to go to a rather out of the way UPS Store to pick up my CD because they don't have access to my Canada Post P.O. box. If UPS tries to charge me brokerage fees for a 14 dollar CD I'm telling them to forget it and I'm going to email both Amazon and the seller and I'm demanding a refund. I've heard enough stories of the brokerage fees some of these private couriers demand on a small package being rather ridiculous and I refuse to be extorted. Stay tuned, either all will end well or if not then everyone will soon be reading my latest rant on this thread. Why would a private seller send one CD via UPS? Makes no sense to me.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #14,794 of 21,763
Quote:
Learning to code can be another thing, but I don't know what language to start with. C++? Java? I feel that that could be interesting as I like to plan stuff in a logical manner and will be utterly happy to see it work, and I feel that coding shouldn't be that far off principally.

Good old CS curricula tried to start students off with languages that were relatively unbound from complex OSes so that students could concentrate on principles and fundamentals; it becomes easier to understand how the software and hardware underneath the OS is running if you don't have waste time making your application interface with the visual user interface.

The best modern language to start learning in is probably Python; There are a couple good sites (Learn Python, Learn Python the Hard Way) which will not only teach you the language but also, along the way, enough of the rudiments of computer science to make it relatively easy to branch out to other languages.

Of course if you really want to rock it old school, do it MIT style and learn Scheme.

Over the years I've had to deal with a lot of university-level computer programming degree graduates who only understand programming in very rote ways (typically, due to curricula based primarily on learning Java, and extra semesters of courses in other languages more or less as afterthoughts), and can't really project their experiences and knowledge into new development environments.

Which is not that Java is evil, it's more that it seems very bound up in making programs that have to interact with the real world, rather than existing as an environment to play in, building ad-hoc logical edifices and fiddling with them.

Of course I can speak offhandedly about all of this: I'm a developer with a liberal arts degree and I'm mostly self-taught. It's fun!

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #14,795 of 21,763
Quote:
I know my friend, I know. :)

How's your IT studying coming along?
I have.

I'm actually (finally lol) about done with the Comp TIA A+ Certification Book. It's taken me much longer to complete than I'd personally like it to. Motivation is the hardest thing for me to keep these days. Stuff like this was nothing back then.... I'm finding myself having to psych myself up to do basic things. But I've only got like 3 chapters left then the practice tests. Once I'm getting 90% or better on those tests I'm ready. I've already paid for the exams so I can schedule them anytime. But I'm making sure I'm ready as I'm not so good under pressure these days :p. I remember back in school when I'd procrastinate just before a test/projects. Do a quick review/cram session and Ace things. Lost that magic sadly.
tongue.gif

Anyways once I get my certification I'll also shoot for the Networking and Security certifications.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #14,796 of 21,763
Quote:
Alright, this is a rather dumb turn of events. I recently ordered the Dark Knight OST from Amazon and just received a phone call from the shipping company, UPS. UPS?!?!?!?! Usually when I order anything from Amazon.com it's usually DHL or USPS not UPS. Because the seller decided to send my CD via UPS I now have to go to a rather out of the way UPS Store to pick up my CD because they don't have access to my Canada Post P.O. box. If UPS tries to charge me brokerage fees for a 14 dollar CD I'm telling them to forget it and I'm going to email both Amazon and the seller and I'm demanding a refund. I've heard enough stories of the brokerage fees some of these private couriers demand on a small package being rather ridiculous and I refuse to be extorted. Stay tuned, either all will end well or if not then everyone will soon be reading my latest rant on this thread. Why would a private seller send one CD via UPS? Makes no sense to me.

Wow. Could you really end up paying more in brokerage fees than the actual item itself? How far are you gonna have to travel to pick up this item? UPS isn't my favorite courier to use. I actually prefer USPS believe it or not.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #14,797 of 21,763
Quote:
Of course if you really want to rock it old school, do it MIT style and learn Scheme.

Ok... I have to say this in Spanish... "MUERTE A SCHEME!!!!!!!!!!"
Ugh, how I hated it.
I don't know why my Professor thought it was a good idea to teach us this POS!! (I don't even know how I passed the class! LOL). Anyway, stay away from Scheme please!

Thanks. :wink:

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #14,798 of 21,763
Good old CS curricula tried to start students off with languages that were relatively unbound from complex OSes so that students could concentrate on principles and fundamentals; it becomes easier to understand how the software and hardware underneath the OS is running if you don't have waste time making your application interface with the visual user interface.

The best modern language to start learning in is probably Python; There are a couple good sites (Learn Python, Learn Python the Hard Way) which will not only teach you the language but also, along the way, enough of the rudiments of computer science to make it relatively easy to branch out to other languages.

Over the years I've had to deal with a lot of university-level computer programming degree graduates who only understand programming in very rote ways (typically, due to curricula based primarily on learning Java, and extra semesters of courses in other languages more or less as afterthoughts), and can't really project their experiences and knowledge into new development environments.

Which is not that Java is evil, it's more that it seems very bound up in making programs that have to interact with the real world, rather than existing as an environment to play in, building ad-hoc logical edifices and fiddling with them.

Of course I can speak offhandedly about all of this: I'm a developer with a liberal arts degree and I'm mostly self-taught. It's fun!

Actually, I was taught Python in my first year here in Moscow. IIRC I grasped most of what was taught pretty swiftly. Hmm. Might as well restart there then.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #14,799 of 21,763
Quote:
Wow. Could you really end up paying more in brokerage fees than the actual item itself? How far are you gonna have to travel to pick up this item? UPS isn't my favorite courier to use. I actually prefer USPS believe it or not.

I don't think I've ever heard of UPS charging as much or more for brokerage but I have paid about half, $50 in brokerage & taxes on a $100 item.

I actually tend to prefer USPS/Canada Post when shipping from/to the US.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #14,800 of 21,763
Quote:

I'm actually (finally lol) about done with the Comp TIA A+ Certification Book. It's taken me much longer to complete than I'd personally like it to. Motivation is the hardest thing for me to keep these days. Stuff like this was nothing back then.... I'm finding myself having to psych myself up to do basic things. But I've only got like 3 chapters left then the practice tests. Once I'm getting 90% or better on those tests I'm ready. I've already paid for the exams so I can schedule them anytime. But I'm making sure I'm ready as I'm not so good under pressure these days :p. I remember back in school when I'd procrastinate just before a test/projects. Do a quick review/cram session and Ace things. Lost that magic sadly.
tongue.gif

Anyways once I get my certification I'll also shoot for the Networking and Security certifications.

OMG I HATE A+ WITH A PASSION, it's so boring!

Net+ was pretty fun though, and Sec+ was meh. Worst for me? Friggin CCNA.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #14,801 of 21,763

Oh you're a CCNA? Me too. I got my certification before deciding to do pharmacy, but I've all but forgotten most of the things I learned. Packet tracing and pinging have all been replaced by drug interactions and pharmacogenomics.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #14,802 of 21,763
An I'm back from my CD run. There's been cases where people I know have bought electronics and odds and ends online for around 50 or 60 bones and when it was delivered by UPS they wanted 20 some bones in brokerage fees. I don't know, the brokerage cost could have been overly embellished by them but nonetheless they were pissed off by the added fees. The good news, I got my soundtrack with little fuss and hassle over brokerage fees. The only hassle was having to go downtown at the height of rush hour from the far north side of the city, not a fun drive, and it took me a good 90 minutes there and back through bumper to bumper traffic to get my CD. On the way back home I stopped by my PO box to check if my other stuff had been delivered yet and thankfully it was.

In any case, here's the new additions

1003252_262307767244819_1725399139_n.jpg

An here is all the new stuff I've grabbed over the last couple of months. As you can see I've been on a new music tear.

1016111_262319583910304_173330801_n.jpg

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #14,803 of 21,763
Quote:

Oh you're a CCNA? Me too. I got my certification before deciding to do pharmacy, but I've all but forgotten most of the things I learned. Packet tracing and pinging have all been replaced by drug interactions and pharmacogenomics.

Knew it, but never actually bought the test. I studied so hard for it too 
frown.gif
 Router work is just......bleh.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #14,804 of 21,763
Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard of UPS charging as much or more for brokerage but I have paid about half, $50 in brokerage & taxes on a $100 item.

I actually tend to prefer USPS/Canada Post when shipping from/to the US.

28 dollars on a 14 dollar item.

The only way to go is USPS from the states.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14,805 of 21,763
Quote:
28 dollars on a 14 dollar item.

The only way to go is USPS from the states.

There we go, so the stories I heard from other people I know weren't far fetched. Looks like I may have lucked out then.

In other news, the order has been officially placed and my receipt was received as of an hour ago. All that remains now is to book a appointment with an audiologist and in a few weeks I shall be the proud new owner of a brand spanking new UERM with funky artwork. I can hardly wait. Now to fight the urge to buy a pricey TOTL mobile amp for it

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back