The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,301 of 21,763
Quote:
Made a new thread (TPHC) here!
biggrin.gif

That whole thread captures the quiddity of product discussions..

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9,302 of 21,763
Just A/B'ed my solid state with the tube amp.

My HD600 sounds a lot more alive with the solid state, whereas it sounds a lot sleepier with the Phenix. The main difference b/w the two lies basically in the points of emphasis. The Phenix focuses on the bass and lower mids, where as my ss (it doesn't have a name) gives more to the upper mids and treble. It's a breath of fresh air going from the tubes to the ss. I'll wait a few more days to see which flavor I like better.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #9,303 of 21,763
I'd just like to point out that not all tube amps sound "sleepy" or "slow." In fact, that's not a function of the tubes but the amp design itself. It's a very common myth that tubes make everything sound warm and mushy. That's not true. In fact, there are tube amps that sound snappier and more detailed than a lot of solid state amps. So in short: you're not hearing the tubes so much as the amp.

You probably know this eke, but I'm just posting it for anyone lurking who might see your impressions and think "yup that's tubes." These misconceptions have only gotten worse over the years because of the huge influx of cheap Chinese tube amps. The Chinese specifically love the "warm / euphony" type signature for their cheaper gear. Also you have people like NwAv's minions who scream bloody murder about tubes, claiming they add all this distortion.

Never mind transistor mist.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #9,304 of 21,763
Quote:
I'd just like to point out that not all tube amps sound "sleepy" or "slow." In fact, that's not a function of the tubes but the amp design itself. It's a very common myth that tubes make everything sound warm and mushy. That's not true. In fact, there are tube amps that sound snappier and more detailed than a lot of solid state amps. So in short: you're not hearing the tubes so much as the amp.

You probably know this eke, but I'm just posting it for anyone lurking who might see your impressions and think "yup that's tubes." These misconceptions have only gotten worse over the years because of the huge influx of cheap Chinese tube amps. The Chinese specifically love the "warm / euphony" type signature for their cheaper gear. Also you have people like NwAv's minions who scream bloody murder about tubes, claiming they add all this distortion.

Never mind transistor mist.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I'm curious though about the effects of tubes. I always thought tube amps in general had that kind of sound, and tube rolling could heighten or lessen the effect.

What purpose does the tube serve in the circuit?

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #9,306 of 21,763
Oh man I'm exhausted today. It was a long day at work, I didn't sleep well last night and my feet are throbbing. I need to escape with my music.

Hey MF, in your opinion whats a good tube amp that would tame the upper end glare of the Q701? I really need to smooth that can out. I had a chance at a Bottlehead Crack a few weeks ago but didn't jump at it thinking I wouldn't need it for my Q can. I was thinking the Continental ver 3 but I'm not so sure. Woo makes some nice stuff but their amps all seem pretty pricey.

Excuse me, I'm going to go soak my dogs in some hot water while I give the 1plus2 a listen on my V player. I only have a couple of weeks with these IEM's and I don't want to waste any time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #9,309 of 21,763
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear? 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9,310 of 21,763
Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear? 
smile.gif

I name my amps and take pictures of my gear with a smiley squeeze ball and mini figurines. I think the word cute should be my personalized handle

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #9,311 of 21,763
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #9,312 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

I name my amps and take pictures of my gear with a smiley squeeze ball and mini figurines. I think the word cute should be my personalized handle

So you wouldn't mind a custom title like "Too freakin' cute for my own good! 
smile.gif
" added to your profile?

Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

I love it.
biggrin.gif

Turning it off could be considered nappy time. 
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #9,315 of 21,763
Quote:
I actually thought the continental v3 was on the bright side and had less bass.emphasis than the dx100 internal amp. Actually too much so paired with the Miracles.

If I'm not mistaken Mike from Headfonia once said the Continental V3 had deep bass and slightly thick mids. He then went on to say the mids were still quite detailed and quick.
(shrugs)
What do I know, I've never really looked closely at tubes before especially for headphones or IEM's. I should have jumped at that Crack Bottlehead when I had the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back