The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,046 of 21,761
Quote:
Not really. "Communication" is derived from the Latin word "communicatus, communicare" ( to impart, participate), "commute" is derived from another Latin word commutare ( to change, exchange).

I stand corrected. Oh well.

This is one of the best things I've heard this week: Classic Gang of Four on gamelan.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3,048 of 21,761
Oh, and re: mission Monet... I read an impression somewhere that the phones are quite bright and heavy up top. This might be something to consider, especially since you mentioned in the old diary thread that you were leaning towards darker phones nowadays.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,050 of 21,761
Quote:
I remember that feature on the worst forum I've ever seen on the internet (I think the average age was around 15), it was a nice feature but I'd rather impose the same colour unto everyone. 

It makes me think of when Sylverant noticed google gave different results on his laptop and his desktop computer, since he searched differently on them and then the search results tailor themselves to you.  I think his comment was "then what's the point?".

If they'll reshell any two universal IEM's of my choice, then Kabuki is on her way.

Geez, you've got some memory Kiteki, it took me a little while to remember that.
wink.gif

Quote:
So I finally caved in and bought a.......................... Clip+.

I wanted something small for the gym and outside, and it accepts 64GB cards, so why not =/.  (I feel so... dirty).

My Teclast X19+ is acting quite glitchy now.  It's rather ironic isn't it, when my 1990's Sony Walkman is playing perfect?

I can't help but wonder how long a car will last these days with so many functions now being controlled by computers. It's not gonna be pretty when my parents Dodge minivan dies...

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #3,051 of 21,761
Quote:
Oh, and re: mission Monet... I read an impression somewhere that the phones are quite bright and heavy up top. This might be something to consider, especially since you mentioned in the old diary thread that you were leaning towards darker phones nowadays.

Yeah, I've seen measurements for them and read some impressions. The sound signature seems to be of such a nature as to have lots of air and render female vocals well, hence the "tuned for anime soundtracks" descriptor.

My relationship with brighter headphones is... complex. For me, brighter signatures are completely hit or miss. When executed well they're some of my favorites (like the now sadly defunct Sony EX700, the Qualia 010, the Final FI-BA-SS, certain Stax Lambdas, etc.). When executed poorly (most PROline Ultrasones, Grados, etc.) then I can't stand them. Similarly, I love some darker headphones and despise others. I suppose in and of itself, treble presence doesn't make or break it for me, but really it depends more on the overall balance and context of the sonic signature.

Specifically with regard to IEMs, I think there's something of an art to making a good bright IEM. It's like there's this lineage of which the Sony EX700 is part and certain CIEMs like the Rooth LS8 [and maybe the Monet] continue.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3,054 of 21,761
Quote:
MuppetFace, really like the change in avatars; the glance of the eyes...

+1  Who is that BTW?  Not that I know a lot of actors/musicians these days, but I just can't place the face.  Oddly familiar, but have no idea really.

Quote:
Tom is selling his Frankenstein CIEMs!

One-of-a-kind, and can be "upgraded" a number of ways. Like playing an RPG. Only with earphones.

I really want to see these go to a diary regular....

I vote you! 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,057 of 21,761
Quote:

When I find a way to get the Monet, it will be my avatar for sure. <3

I rather like the one you got up now Mups, Bravo madam bravo for coming out behind the screen. I'm sending you a PM concerning operation Monet. I know someone who hangs out on these boards who lives in Tokyo. He's a rather helpful sort and I'm guessing you know him too.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,059 of 21,761
Gah *comes up for air*

I been busy again :p

In reference to much earlier comments, I actually prefer the SA3000 in the end, mostly because it was more comfortable and the singe entry cable was convenient. However the SA5000 is a thing of beauty.

In a fit of madness I ordered the Sony MDR-1R and bought the Sennheiser Momentum, with the idea of letting one ago after conducting some sort of closed circumaural portable deathmatch with the M50's and TMA-1 Studios included.

I'm actually somewhat confused to read the comments about the Momentum being boomy, since to my ears it sounds like that regular Sennheiser house sound: clean, warm tilt, but not overly dark or bloomy. (For reference I consider something like the early batch P5 I have to be boomy). It sounds just a bit thicker than my 7550's. I'm not sure actually how much I like the sound at this very early stage; it seems amazingly competent and relaxing but doesn't particularly grab me. Comfortable and classy like nothing else though.

Maybe it's just because I listen to too much synthesized instruments, but the TMA-1 Studios are really a bit of a winner to my ears. I like they way they sound synthetically punchy, like an electronic drum machine. The physical build is reassuring and monolithically beautiful to me, and they are also comfortable except for the too-heavy coiled cable for which I'm supposedly on some waiting list for a replacement.

From memory the MDR-1R was like something in between these two, so at the end of this I will have a favoured portable circumaural :3

Edit: Oh and happy birthday Coq! And Kiteki, I played Shadowrun on my SNES and you wake up with a bomb in your head and it really scared me because it was the first time I've ever played a game where the impending doom is tied to something happening in real time so yeah lets not play that pretty please?!.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,060 of 21,761
Hey a_recording how r u.  This thread has some cool people innit.

I moved to Indonesia around 5 months ago in case you missed that.

I wonder what shadowrun music (chiptune, glitch etc.) sounds like on FXD80's. =D

The most suspenseful and scary game I ever played was on the NES, then I got older and videogames weren't scary anymore. =(

Edit:  I didn't know the story was you wake up with a bomb in your head lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back