The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #3,076 of 21,761
Quote:
"The headphoniest headphone that ever headphoned ... the Platonic Idea of a headphone"

Nice. LOL.

Lol. Yeah honestly, I feel like the TMA-1 design must have come out of a dream. It's like a placeholder / meta headphone and all other designs are variations on this basic timeless theme. Which is really weird since they also seem intensely modern to me as well. It actually makes me think they are a simulacra of headphones, or the history of headphones as interpreted by hipsters.

I could go on for ages about them lol. It's this kind of thing that makes me happy XD

On another note: the Momentums keep eating my hair.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #3,077 of 21,761
Quote:
Welp, started another review thread thingy. Trying to keep things short this time around after the whole EX1000 vs XBA-4 thread turned into a dying star and sucked out all my words.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639948/review-closed-portable-circumaural-shooting-gallery-m50-z1000-tma-1-studio

Reading it disappointed me.

I don't know why, but I somehow thought of the Z1000 better than I apparently should've. Such a shame. Have you tried the 1R or whatever it's called..? 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #3,078 of 21,761
Quote:
Reading it disappointed me.

I don't know why, but I somehow thought of the Z1000 better than I apparently should've. Such a shame. Have you tried the 1R or whatever it's called..? 

It's weird, whenever I put the Z1000 I like it at first, and then gradually feel unsatisfied. It might even be psychological on my part lol, but I just feel struck by this intense feeling of wasted potential.

I've ordered a 1R, but I had a chance a few months back to listen to the 1R at Sony HQ in Australia :3 I brought along my Z1000's to compare, and honestly I think the 1R nails it where the Z1000 went astray. The 1R sounds darker, but definitely tighter and more controlled.

Since Tyll has helpfully made graphs available for both, you can take a gander: Z1000 vs MDR-1R

I'm very interested to see what I will think of the 1R vs the Momentums. The Momentums sound amazingly clear and controlled to me, now that my brain is starting to wrap around them.

Edit: It's not that I think the Z1000 sounds terrible. But the ZX700 sounds similar enough in signature for one third the price. It's otherwise a really nice piece of hardware. If they made the 1R with the Z1000's build quality I would truly rejoice. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,079 of 21,761
It looks to me like the 1R is the better one for me.

Something else: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333 does contain quite a few references to head-fi here and there. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #3,080 of 21,761
Quote:
It looks to me like the 1R is the better one for me.

Something else: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333 does contain quite a few references to head-fi here and there. 

What exactly are you looking for anyway? A do anything closed portable?

Lol, I love SA but I am afraid of the forums.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,081 of 21,761
Quote:

What exactly are you looking for anyway? A do anything closed portable?

Lol, I love SA but I am afraid of the forums.

Been a member of SA forums for quite a while now. Love that place as much as any other place I frequent...

I don't know what I'm looking for to be honest. I'm creating a list of headphones I need to buy, and own, and up until a few days ago the Z1000 was a part of it. It still might be...

To be honest though, I'd like the list to contain open backed hps as well as closed back, with small soundstages as well as big ones, bassy ones as well as non-bassy ones as well as neutral ones, portable as well as non-portables, and so on. I want different things, but I'm not sure which headphones to include and exclude. I always thought of the Z1000 to be a resistant member of that list, but since there is the 1R, I might choose that one as a "better closed sony portable". I mean, I'll still have other closed portables on there as well, but I don't want to have too many of the same brand, so one closed Sony should be enough. Also, since I'm no millionaire, I'm mostly looking at mid grade stuff with a budget of perhaps maximum $3-400 per headphone. Also, I think I'll invest in one pair of headphones monthly, unless I choose to include some super cheap ones as well, like the superluxes - in which case I could buy more than one. We could simplify it by saying I'll be buying diferent headphones for 3-400 each month for a while.

Just some stupid idea. Headphones are becoming more and more like STDs for me: Gotta catch them all.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #3,082 of 21,761
Quote:
Been a member of SA forums for quite a while now. Love that place as much as any other place I frequent...

I don't know what I'm looking for to be honest. I'm creating a list of headphones I need to buy, and own, and up until a few days ago the Z1000 was a part of it. It still might be...

To be honest though, I'd like the list to contain open backed hps as well as closed back, with small soundstages as well as big ones, bassy ones as well as non-bassy ones as well as neutral ones, portable as well as non-portables, and so on. I want different things, but I'm not sure which headphones to include and exclude. I always thought of the Z1000 to be a resistant member of that list, but since there is the 1R, I might choose that one as a "better closed sony portable". I mean, I'll still have other closed portables on there as well, but I don't want to have too many of the same brand, so one closed Sony should be enough. Also, since I'm no millionaire, I'm mostly looking at mid grade stuff with a budget of perhaps maximum $3-400 per headphone. Also, I think I'll invest in one pair of headphones monthly, unless I choose to include some super cheap ones as well, like the superluxes - in which case I could buy more than one. We could simplify it by saying I'll be buying diferent headphones for 3-400 each month for a while.

Just some stupid idea. Headphones are becoming more and more like STDs for me: Gotta catch them all.

Ahaha, I have the same urge to collect a good 'representative' for each category; the trouble being that the categories keep expanding. 

If you can find a Z1000 for something like $200 I suppose that's a good buy. I just think the 1R is more comfortable and more competent. You could always get one of their actual professional studio monitors that broadcast engineers use; that is quintessential Sony.

For me I have the 1R arriving, and the XB900 as well for laffs.

Also, STD's are cheaper to get.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,083 of 21,761
A convinience store near me sells these Dorayaki fish things
tumblr_mamtl9GH5J1rw687fo1_500.jpg

I stuffed my freezer full of them.

As well you should. They're awesome.

In Seoul there are street vendors selling smaller versions of them, freshly fried with hot bean paste fillings. You can't imagine how great those are on a cold rainy morning.

What's your guys' thoughts on how some of the sponsor posters here who come in and answer questions and frankly, advertise their product?

I think you answered your own question.

The paid sponsors are here because they have a ready audience to market to. More than a few of them would be here whether or not they were paying to do it. The people who do the best job of marketing to members, IMO, tend to be the ones that are available and sociable and helpful to the community. The MOT and Paid Sponsor markings on their posts make their status clear when they're discussing their own or others' products.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3,084 of 21,761
Quote:
A convinience store near me sells these Dorayaki fish things

tumblr_mamtl9GH5J1rw687fo1_500.jpg

붕어싸만코? Hey... those are my favorite snacks too. I eat these at least once every week.
Wait a minute, are you a Korean too Kiteki? I thought you were a Japanese.

혹시 한국 사람이세요? もしかして韓国人ですか?
If you understood either of what I wrote above, please say so in your native language. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back