The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #3,031 of 21,761
What if FitEar releases another anime IEM after Mone-chan?

The Kabuki-chan... six-driver with inlays made from real Kendo practice swords, and broken hearts.

mari003.jpg

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #3,035 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm listening to these this morning...

65th Anniversary K702. I've read some impressions touting these as the best K702s to date, better than the Q701 which was a very slight improvement over the K701 / K702 (in the lower regions). So far I'm not really hearing much if any difference between these and the Q701. And no, I haven't given them the requisite 5,000 hours of burn-in.

Kinda soulless, as expected. No, not neutral. Colored, but also soulless. A soulless coloration. Not musical. Listening to a very well-recorded refrigerator hum, perhaps. I still kinda like 'em.

More seriously, I'm curious how the acoustic space sounds on them. Because by description it's approximately like the stock K702 with the FoF mod, and if that's the case the main difference will be the price and who tucks the semicircle of sponge up behind the earpad.

I should dust off my K702 box and give them one last listen before I sell them for reals. Now that I've got the CD 3000 configured how I like them (almost; still contemplating earpad-wrangling), I have even fewer excuses for keeping the K702 than I'd already been leaning on. The K702 still has its hyper-spaciousness (albeit by not quite as much, with mod in place) but the CD3k is otherwise better in all possible ways.

Of course the K702 is a living product and the CD 3000 was killed off (and cost some multiple of the K702's price even before it died), so it's not a totally fair comparison to make. But since only one of them ever gets headtime in this household, the other may as well go to a home where it will receive more attention.

<3 Mone-chan

"Copyright 2012 Suyama Dental Laboratory"?

I've managed to wrap my brain around the concept of product-tans by now (to the point where I even think of Miku Hatsune as idol-tan, a mangafied idealized pop idol singer, of sorts), but for some reason I'm completely unable to keep Monetan in the same mindspace. She looks too much like a figure from a realistic romance manga; the watercolor style heightens the impression that these are covers of story collections rather than promotional or fan art.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,036 of 21,761
Quote:
LOL, yeah. Of course (facepalm). In my defense though, public transportation in Swedish is a part of "kommunikationer" (which means 'communications'). Often it works quite well to just translate words from Swedish to English, however, not always. 
biggrin.gif

The same linguistic root is used for "commuting" and "commuter", but our use of the cognate is inconsistent. English speakers don't transport to work every morning and don't ride commutators to do it.

English is weird. That's what makes it fun.

Quote:
No no no it has to be light-grey, off-white and some shades of blue... don't make that dark blue too dark or someone might get too excited!! 

Keep everyone as bored, civilized and chatty as possible until they eventually coax eachother into clicking on shiny adverts and spending money on their desperate inner-angst of colour and entertainment, lol.

Speaking as a self-acknowledged boring person, I mostly prefer the neutral colors.

It's not that the theme is grey, it's that the greys are not chosen well and are not implemented well.

If I had the free time, I'd try writing a user-domain CSS file that people could use to let their browser reskin head-fi the way they like.

Quote:

The Kabuki-chan... six-driver with inlays made from real Kendo practice swords, and broken hearts.

I'm sure if you talk to Heir, they could price you an IEM with an inlay cut from the bamboo of a Kendo practice sword.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #3,037 of 21,761

Speaking as a self-acknowledged boring person, I mostly prefer the neutral colors.

It's not that the theme is grey, it's that the greys are not chosen well and are not implemented well.

If I had the free time, I'd try writing a user-domain CSS file that people could use to let their browser reskin head-fi the way they like.

I remember that feature on the worst forum I've ever seen on the internet (I think the average age was around 15), it was a nice feature but I'd rather impose the same colour unto everyone. 

It makes me think of when Sylverant noticed google gave different results on his laptop and his desktop computer, since he searched differently on them and then the search results tailor themselves to you.  I think his comment was "then what's the point?".

I'm sure if you talk to Heir, they could price you an IEM with an inlay cut from the bamboo of a Kendo practice sword.

If they'll reshell any two universal IEM's of my choice, then Kabuki is on her way.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,038 of 21,761
Quote:

mari003.jpg

That reminds me of Yoshino from Maria-sama ga Miteru almost exactly. 

Quote:

"Copyright 2012 Suyama Dental Laboratory"?

I've managed to wrap my brain around the concept of product-tans by now (to the point where I even think of Miku Hatsune as idol-tan, a mangafied idealized pop idol singer, of sorts), but for some reason I'm completely unable to keep Monetan in the same mindspace. She looks too much like a figure from a realistic romance manga; the watercolor style heightens the impression that these are covers of story collections rather than promotional or fan art.

Noticed that too... lol. I knew they did hearing aids, which makes sense, but perhaps they're also involved in other health areas?

I'm determined to get the Monet for personal reasons. One of them is that the product-tan thing is part of what inspired me to start collecting headphones, one of the things that got me interested in the products themselves and looking at them as more than tools.

What is so appealing about the Monet in that respect is that it speaks to that very irrational core of my dedication to this hobby while at the same time appealing to the rational part being a well-engineered CIEM by one of the top manufacturers in the business.

Aside from the AKG K702 65th Anniversary, I've been listening to the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD and Final Audio Heaven VI this morning. Of the three I personally prefer the Heaven VI.

The ESW11LTD has a slightly darker signature compared to the other two. It's also darker compared to the ESW9 and ESW10JPN and most of the woodie Audio-Technicas in general. The bass is emphasized a bit more than the other woodie Ear Suits, too. Kinda reminds me of the sound signature on the CKW1000ANV. This is somewhat surprising, as their "Limited" series (W10LTD, W11R) has always been their most analytic and balanced sounding overall. Still I'm digging 'em.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,039 of 21,761
Quote:
Noticed that too... lol. I knew they did hearing aids, which makes sense, but perhaps they're also involved in other health areas?

I'm determined to get the Monet for personal reasons. One of them is that the product-tan thing is part of what inspired me to start collecting headphones, one of the things that got me interested in the products themselves and looking at them as more than tools.

What is so appealing about the Monet in that respect is that it speaks to that very irrational core of my dedication to this hobby while at the same time appealing to the rational part being a well-engineered CIEM by one of the top manufacturers in the business.

Apparently, because of the similar nature of their work and process, dental mold labs and hearing aid labs are one and the same in Japan, or at least that's what Tomoaki-san told me the other day. The name may say 'Suyama Dental Laboratory', but I think they do most of their business with hearing aids. Well, I'm sure they get orders for making false teeth too... 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3,040 of 21,761
I remember that feature on the worst forum I've ever seen on the internet (I think the average age was around 15), it was a nice feature but I'd rather impose the same colour unto everyone. 

It makes me think of when Sylverant noticed google gave different results on his laptop and his desktop computer, since he searched differently on them and then the search results tailor themselves to you.  I think his comment was "then what's the point?".

I've got mixed feelings about reskinning generally -- for the most part I'm on your side in the debate, inasmuch one excellent design is better than a variety of mediocre-yet-neato designs.

But as a power-user thing (this is not something Head-Fi would offer, this is something you would have to wrangle your browser to do), it is more like hacking, or using Greasemonkey to set up userscripts to optimize things.

Quote:
If they'll reshell any two universal IEM's of my choice, then Kabuki is on her way.

Heir took reshelling off their list of services a few months ago. I don't know when that happened. I assume it means that they've got enough business coming in now that they don't have to do things like that to stay busy.

I've noticed third-party reshelling and personalized driver assembling tend to be the first things to go when a customs manufacturer starts getting popular. I assume in both cases because they're less profitable and stand a higher risk of customer dissatisfaction. When we chatted with Hidition's founder he mentioned freeform experimentation as one of the things he misses being able to do now that his business has grown.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,041 of 21,761

I'm determined to get the Monet for personal reasons. /

i.e. she looks like you.

/ When we chatted with Hidition's founder he mentioned freeform experimentation as one of the things he misses being able to do now that his business has grown.

=/

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3,042 of 21,761
i.e. she looks like you.

Now that you mentioned it, here's another picture that made me think "MF" instantaneously:

99ee6a5e_Ct3cz.png

It just boggles the mind how the shoes and socks fits exactly as it was mentioned many moons and threads ago.

Also as an anime nut, I've always am looking for ways to share some of the love to other people, but doing so in an very thoughtful manner. So an anime that I thought worth sharing from the Autumn 2012 season, that's still on-going but can be simulcast/streamed from a proper site, is called Psycho-Pass. I'm pretty bad at describing stuff coherently for things I love, so I'll just leave this here:

Synopsis
-------------------------------
The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kougami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

In the future, it is possible to quantitatively measure a person's emotions, desires, and every inclination. In this way, it is also possible to measure a person's criminal tendency factor, which is used to judge criminals.

This is the story of a team of policemen dedicated to maintaining public order. Some of them work in the Enforcement Division, responsible for the apprehension of criminals, while others belong to the Supervisory Division which oversees their colleagues in Enforcement.

In a few words, I'd describe it as crap-saccharine cyberpunk world governed by an authoritarian psychological assessment system. I had a more colorful one-sentence description but I forgot about it...

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3,043 of 21,761
Quote:

The same linguistic root is used for "commuting" and "commuter", but our use of the cognate is inconsistent. English speakers don't transport to work every morning and don't ride commutators to do it.

English is weird. That's what makes it fun.

Not really. "Communication" is derived from the Latin word "communicatus, communicare" ( to impart, participate), "commute" is derived from another Latin word commutare ( to change, exchange).

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,044 of 21,761
So I finally caved in and bought a.......................... Clip+.

I wanted something small for the gym and outside, and it accepts 64GB cards, so why not =/.  (I feel so... dirty).

My Teclast X19+ is acting quite glitchy now.  It's rather ironic isn't it, when my 1990's Sony Walkman is playing perfect?

Speaking of, Romy since you are the grammar proess in these woods... is this correct?

"---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------"

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3,045 of 21,761
Quote:
Speaking of, Romy since you are the grammar proess in these woods... is this correct?

"---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------"

That looks right. The biggest selection possessed by Earth as a singular collective, so it's "Earth's," yeah.

What color Clip did you get? The only DAPs I use now are Walkmans... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back