The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #19,636 of 21,761

Unfortunately for Wacom.

Because the competition is better, IMO. Aside from the larger screen and the brand itself (quality of the digitizer and pen), there really is no compelling reason for choosing the Companion over a Surface Pro for instance. I'd wager that forthcoming pro grade tablets will be better choices as well, especially if they too are using Wacom technology. Maybe I had too high expectations from hyperbole but I was deeply let down. I personally would not pay more than twice the price of Surface Pro II for the Companion.

The pen was luxurious though.

dosent surface pro use wacom as well? 

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #19,638 of 21,761
While the Companion seemed curious to me, I wouldn't be almost sure that a first generation product from a company that has never made a PC before would not be competitive with something like the Surface Pro 2, especially since the Surface Pro 2 is basically Microsoft sitting up, looking at their PC partner's offerings, and saying "THAT's not a convertible tablet PC. Now THIS is a convertible tablet PC."

The Surface Pro does indeed use Wacom digitizer technology, though it doesn't support tilt sensitivity and has a 1024 level pressure sensitivity. Whenever I try sketching with it though (and I really should do that more) I am struck by just how natural it feels drawing directly on the screen and manipulating the canvas with touch controls. 

If Microsoft made the Surface 2 with a digitzer though, I probably would have sprung for that given it's an overall lighter and more portable package.

-----

So, randomly, who has fun plans for their upcoming holidays? 

I might go on a trip with family to Singapore.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #19,641 of 21,761
@a-rec, that's dangerously close (relatively) to me. Like, that will be around 300km distance. :p

Dangerous in what way? Will you ambush me? OR DO YOU FEAR ME

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #19,646 of 21,761
I bet he knows martial arts and stuff like the five finger grip of death!

Probably, wouldn't surprise me if he also knew the Ozzie death grip and the outback heart punch

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #19,649 of 21,761
I'm considering getting one as well. That will probably have to wait till next year, though. I've already spent more money on audio gear this year than I probably should have. I'm a little short on money as a result.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #19,650 of 21,761
  I agree, I've had the fortunate opportunity to be playing with both the intuos 3 and 4. 4 is where they changed the surface, so that it would be more reminiscent of real paper. It ended up being one of the most hated "features" since it wears down the nibs so fast. Wacom's support said openly on their support forums that if people didn't like the new material, they could use a plastic bag (straightened out and fixed with scotch tape obviously), or something along those lines (I think someone used a thin glass) on top of the tablet. It works, but is a bit wonky. I removed whatever plastic I used, because I found it being in the way and distracting. I have since sold my Intuos (I had the 4th, a friend had the 3rd) and bought a Bamboo Touch - which (un-)fortunately works just as well (and as bad) as the Intuos.

Personally I'd advice you to stay with the third generation of Intuos. It seems as if Wacom isn't going to go back from the slightly textured, nib wearing surface.

@coq: Thank you very much for the additional background!  I didn't know how different the 5 was going to be before getting a couple of them.  Appreciate knowing that the 4 has the same surface so that I can recommend the 3 (hopefully driver support will keep up for years) and possibly look for a medium 3 to replace my medium 5.  Those older Bamboo tablets with smooth surfaces just went up in value as far as I am concerned.

@MuppetFace:  Did you get an arrival date for your Vali?  Should have a Vali here by tomorrow night.  Think they will be able to produce enough of these for everyone very quickly, so that's nice...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back