The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #18,766 of 21,761
  Speaking of iOS, I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't added additional steps to the volume control for the stock Music player. Twice as many steps would be perfect. I can't tell you how many times I've been annoyed by the fact that when I go up one notch in volume, it's too loud, but when I go down a notch, it's too quiet. Sure, it's theoretically possible to fine tune by moving the volume slider manually with my finger, but it's very difficult to do, at least for me. As soon as I let go, another part of my finger touches somewhere else and it jumps to the wrong position.

/rant

There is a way around this, but its janky. Basically set the volume limit on the player at the loudest volume that you would want for any one of your headphones / earphones. For instance, if you set it at half maximum volume, this will give you twice as many additional steps within that volume range.

is it me or did a_rec get new glasses. probably just me since I vaguely remember them. Or since camera so up  close :xf_eek:

Same glasses! But there is one or two videos where I am wearing a different pair because I had to get new lenses. (Which are now already scratched grr).

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #18,767 of 21,761

There is a way around this, but its janky. Basically set the volume limit on the player at the loudest volume that you would want for any one of your headphones / earphones. For instance, if you set it at half maximum volume, this will give you twice as many additional steps within that volume range.

Same glasses! But there is one or two videos where I am wearing a different pair because I had to get new lenses. (Which are now already scratched grr).

I see... so they are new glasses? :D 
Soooo Westone just pulled a Sony?

They were laying it on pretty confidently with the W40 spiel though.

pulled a sony... o how you've fallen, sony, old friend )

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #18,768 of 21,761

I think it would depend more on the amp in question rather than specific tubes, how they're implemented and whatnot. The DNA Stratus is supposed to be a really good match. I also know someone who likes them with the ECP L-2. Those would be the options I'd be most interested in, personally.

Speaking of ECP Audio, I really hope Doug decides to release a commercial version of his transformer based amp, the Black Diamond. I need to send my prototype in for some minor repairs, as the volume pot is causing some electrical noise due to the way it was installed. I just never got around to doing it, but I should because it's really a fantastic little amp. I'm also curious as to how the Electro Magnetic Amp Company's transformer amp is coming along. I posted some photos of it earlier in the year; its visual design is largely based on vintage radio equipment from the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately it's supposed to be around four times the price of what the Black Diamond would be. Still would like to hear one at some point.

In the next few months there are several sub-$1k amps that have the potential to be game changers in my estimation. The Black Diamond would be one of those assuming Doug is able to get the price to where he wants it. Oh, and if he decides to even put it into production of course. Then there's the upcoming portable from Cavalli Audio, the pre-production version of which I should be hearing sooner rather than later. There's also a new amp from a very popular company that shall go unnamed for now, something of a surprise since it hasn't been mentioned on head-fi before. A friend of mine has been able to listen to it, and he's really enthusiastic about what he's heard. Maybe one of the best "cheap tube amps" he's ever heard. Or put another way, a cheap tube amp that doesn't sound like a cheap tube amp.

Oh, and there's a new Apex amp from Pete Millet called the Teton:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683115/the-apex-high-fi-audio-teton

...which is apparently going to be priced at $5k. Sigh.

Really, to be perfectly honest, the majority of this stuff---while super neat-o keen---doesn't really interest me. I'll be picking up the Cavalli portable if it plays nicely with IEMs (in other words if they heeded my advice on the gain and didn't make it too high). Aside from that and possibly the Schiit Ragnarok due to its ability to drive speakers, I'm not really in the market for amps.

In fact I keep getting this urge just to get into speakers sooner rather than later, to pay a friend to build some from a kit or buy some from Fritz. 

I've pretty much made my mind up to grab that Cavelli mobile amp once it hits the market. It would be nice to hear the Cavelli house sound and go from there. Any idea on a release date yet? I'm also looking forward to something else that hopefully see's the light of day soon. Hopefully neither disappoints me.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #18,772 of 21,761
  Maybe google can sue them now :wink:.

Don't worry I'm sure they are.  The back and forth patent trolling seems like it will never end.  I guess the companies need something to keep their lawyers busy.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #18,773 of 21,761

You're right, I hadn't thought of that. My CIEMs are super sensitive - they're really loud at less than 50% volume. I'll try it when they come back (they're out for a refit adjustment). Thanks :)

Maybe google can sue them now :wink:.

I heard that iOS7 has been longer in the making than Jelly Bean has, so if that's true it might not fly.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #18,774 of 21,761
I heard that iOS7 has been longer in the making than Jelly Bean has, so if that's true it might not fly.
The underpinning maybe but I think graphically, no. If that was the case, they would've updated the graphics when iOS6 came out last year. Some elements has been around for a while now.

Notication Bar was at least Eclair 2.1.
Lock screen was Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.
UI Elements is Jelly Beans, release date was before iOS6, July '12.

Suing is surely not going to happen but... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :wink:

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #18,775 of 21,761
I'm super psyched about Sony's 35th Anniversary Walkman, the NW-ZX1 ...

"The NW-ZX1, on the other hand, is quite a strange beast, marketed, and priced, to be a high-end device. It sports the same audio prowess as the F880 but, curiously, actually removes some features for the sake of better audio quality. The ZX1 does away with the FM radio and even digital noise cancellation to reduce the amount of possible audio interference. The device also has a bulge at the rear to house a larger capacitor and headphone amplifier. The NW-ZX1 comes with 128 GB of storage. Like the F880 series, the ZX1 also touts Sony’s S-Master HX digital amplifier that reduces distoration and noise on all frequency ranges, whether high or low. To best experience the audio quality offered by the ZX1, Sony doesn’t include free earphones in the package and instead recommends buyings one if its Hi-Res audio headsets separately."​

Source: http://androidcommunity.com/sony-walkman-nw-zx1-and-nw-f880-series-unveiled-coming-in-october-20130925/

$760 USD

Hnnnngggg!! A high end DAP that sounds good, looks good, is stable to use, is easy to carry around, and celebrates the Walkman lineage? Yes plz.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #18,776 of 21,761

"The NW-ZX1, on the other hand, is quite a strange beast, marketed, and priced, to be a high-end device. It sports the same audio prowess as the F880 but, curiously, actually removes some features for the sake of better audio quality. The ZX1 does away with the FM radio and even digital noise cancellation to reduce the amount of possible audio interference. The device also has a bulge at the rear to house a larger capacitor and headphone amplifier. The NW-ZX1 comes with 128 GB of storage. Like the F880 series, the ZX1 also touts Sony’s S-Master HX digital amplifier that reduces distoration and noise on all frequency ranges, whether high or low. To best experience the audio quality offered by the ZX1, Sony doesn’t include free earphones in the package and instead recommends buyings one if its Hi-Res audio headsets separately."​

Source: http://androidcommunity.com/sony-walkman-nw-zx1-and-nw-f880-series-unveiled-coming-in-october-20130925/

$760 USD

Hnnnngggg!! A high end DAP that sounds good, looks good, is stable to use, is easy to carry around, and celebrates the Walkman lineage? Yes plz.

*looks at his new Hm 801* meh I'm think I'm done with DAPS actually. This one sounds like a sexual magic ear gasmic orgy of sound :3

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #18,777 of 21,761

$760 USD

I Hope Sony does this right!!!
I think they will.
And the price, compared to what's out there, I don't really mind at all! Definitely prefer a WORKING unit from Sony that being a Beta tester for Hifiman, HiSound, iBasso or FiiO!!!

GO SONY!

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #18,778 of 21,761
I Hope Sony does this right!!!
I think they will.
And the price, compared to what's out there, I don't really mind at all! Definitely prefer a WORKING unit from Sony that being a Beta tester for Hifiman, HiSound, iBasso or FiiO!!!

GO SONY!

Yeah me too. The only bone I have to pick thus far is no expandable storage. Any idea on the worldwide release date.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #18,779 of 21,761
Only $760. Wow that's pretty cheap :) (not sarcastic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back