The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #16,306 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:

Mine as well.  Even my most recent Abyss audition did nothing to change that.  
smile.gif

I'd still take an SR-007 as my desert island headphone, just because of its ultimate agreeableness. It's still pretty much the most "transparent" for me, the term specifically in quotations because I use it to mean "getting out of the way." The SR-007 just disappears the most for me most of the time, so in some ways it's the easiest to forget about and just connect to the music, even if I find the Abyss can plumb musical depths more from a technical standpoint.

+1!  Yes, this.  Exactly this.  I've spent far too little time with the Abyss to make any lasting call on it.  But in the short time that I experienced it, I would have to say that it was extremely technically competent, but much in the same way that a Nobel Prize winning physicist is very technically competent (in other words a brilliant guy, but not too fun at parties).  It keeps wanting to point out the minutiae of what I'm listening to... "did you hear that snare?  What about the shimmer of those hats?  And you can hear the rosin dust flying off the strings right?  You didn't miss the vocalist's vurp in the middle of that low growling passage did you?"  At some point, I kinda just want it to ****.  That's something that I would NEVER have to ask for from the SR-007 Mk I.  It knows enough to just play the music and fade away quietly into the ether.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sigh Sennheiser Amperior on sale..... but Im banned from getting any other audio equipment till the end of the year.......

Um, where please? 
redface.gif

Only for us Aussies!

angry_face.gif
  Grrr.  Okay, next time we have a crazy deal here in the States, Ima totally rub it in! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #16,307 of 21,763
I've been doing a little bit of can rotation today as I run the WA7 (w/Electro Hamornix tubes) through it's paces.  And I've gone through about 6 different cans with varying signatures.  In each and every case, the following track sounds absolutely brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable:

I think I've found one of those magical tracks that sounds good all the time no matter what.  I'm happy. 
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #16,308 of 21,763
I never know if it's meant to be pronounced NIKE - ON or NICK - ON. Same with Ricoh - RIGH- co or REE-co. Sometimes I hear people say SON-y (like the son from sonnet) like they are some weeaboo Japanese oldhand when even the company itself pronounces it SONE-y (like the sone from Ultrasone) and I'm like - chyeah.

So in Japanese is like "so" in American English almost sounding like "soh" so I don't even think the Japanese would say it like in sonnet. It's more like SONE-E then, no? I say Nikon like NAI-KON anyway but I'm pretty sure it should be something like NEE-KON if the word is like Romanji. Chances are I'm wrong though lol. There are whole websites dedicated to this lol.

Fun stuff. Some company names are impossible like Mammut and Arc'teryx. Speaking of which, I'm convinced that the Arc'teryx Fission SL is just about the best winter jacket ever made. I'd probably sell headphones for another one if I had to.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #16,309 of 21,763
Quote:
So in Japanese is like "so" in American English almost sounding like "soh" so I don't even think the Japanese would say it like in sonnet. It's more like SONE-E then, no? I say Nikon like NAI-KON anyway but I'm pretty sure it should be something like NEE-KON if the word is like Romanji. Chances are I'm wrong though lol. There are whole websites dedicated to this lol.

Yeah I know the way Soh sounds from hearing anime characters say "so desu ne" all the time. But that's the same way that son is pronounced in sonnet  - with a broad O? Who knows. (Well, someone does but not me).

Also, you might find this post interesting Mupps:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/545288/audio-technica-ath-es-10-appreciation-thread/555#post_9648016

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #16,310 of 21,763
@ a_recordiing

I remember A/Bing my HD25-ii-ii Adidas against the the Amperions when they first came out and I wasn't all that impressed. To me they sounded like a slightly more refined HD25 Adidas and little else. I'm hoping you'll do a segment on your channel directly comparing the two. When I heard the Amperion it was in a bustling Apple Store so in all fairness to Sennheiser it wasn't the greatest listening conditions for an A/B session.

@ MuppetFace

Welcome back we all missed you

gs1000.gif
dt880smile.png
jecklinsmile.gif
k701smile.gif
o2smile.gif
atsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
L3000.gif
floatsmile.png
happy_face1.gif
ksc75smile.gif
smile_phones.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #16,311 of 21,763
I'm dropping in again after some absence from the 'net in general. I was in NC with friends. It was totally unrelated to Head-Fi, but a lot of fun all the same.

Quote:

So, Amperior for 160. I reserved one pair and my friend the other.

[...]

I never know if it's meant to be pronounced NIKE - ON or NICK - ON. Same with Ricoh - RIGH- co or REE-co. Sometimes I hear people say SON-y (like the son from sonnet) like they are some weeaboo Japanese oldhand when even the company itself pronounces it SONE-y (like the sone from Ultrasone) and I'm like - chyeah.

But yes I've totally fallen in love with the NEX. Along with the SEL2418z and a collection of curious old glass lenses (I recently got a Asahi Super Takumumar that uses Thorium in the glass and is thus mildly radioactive!!!!!) I'm having a lot of fun with it. <3

That is crazy good luck. I'm thinking of purely buying a pair of Amperiors simply because they sound so good and would be perfect cans for casual listening for me.

A quick guide to Japanese pronunciation: They ONLY have short vowels. Basically:

"a" as in the "u" sound in "bus", which means the romaji for bus is "basu". They don't have the short "a" sound that we use for "cat/sat/mat" etc. that the dentist tells you to say.
"e" as in "set";
"i" as in "sit";
"o" as in "not";
"u" as the "oo" in "look".

That means "Nikon" is pronounced like the bold words in the sentence, "Nick sat on the chair."
Quote:
Apparently Sony's NEX line(s) have a lot of new third party lenses compared to other MILC systems. Also not too keen on the 3N for the lack of mode dial. Sure, there's an on-screen implementation for it, but a mode dial at least will be a lot faster. Other entry level MILC systems seem to have that same design though; i.e. the lack of a mode dial. Hmm. No matter; tomorrow I'm going to a camera shop to play around with some advanced compact cameras and MILC systems.

I was in the stores yesterday and Sony's display was showing of the entire lens range. There were way more of them than I had expected.

Speaking of cameras, I've decided, after getting a D800 that I'm going to do almost all my indoor photography with 24mm f2.8 and 35mm f2 primes.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #16,312 of 21,763
You know, reading all this photography talk, for me, is like trying to read Chinese, I'm lost. How do you guys keep all these product names and stuff straight?

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #16,313 of 21,763
Quote:
You know, reading all this photography talk, for me, is like trying to read Chinese, I'm lost. How do you guys keep all these product names and stuff straight?

biggrin.gif
 What you're currently missing is the emotional connection. Trust me, once lots and lots of your hard-earned dollars start flying the coup, you'll know every code-letter-symbol-number behind the exodus!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #16,314 of 21,763
All this photography talk is making me want to pay Nikon their borderline extortion repair costs. Must be sent only to the official Nikon service center my ass.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #16,315 of 21,763

The same way you do any other hobby - you devour magazine and web site reviews! Because my hobbies tend to be cyclical, I tend to have knowledge that represents particular periods of time - and then I will have big gaps where I know almost nothing about the products that came from that period. For example, I still have a head full of knowledge about some of the classic amateur 35mm film cameras from the late '70s and '80s - Nikon FE/FG/EM, Pentax K1000 & ME Super, Minolta XGM/X700, Canon AE1 - then I have huge gap until you get to the early DSLRs - Canon 300D/Digital Rebel & 10D, Nikon D70, Minolta Maxxum 7 and Sigma SD9. After that another gap because I was only interested in buying Canon lenses for my 300D and then I again cycled away from photography.

Coincidentally, that last cycle away from photography probably began with my discovery of head-fi in 2006... :p

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #16,316 of 21,763
All I can say about the Abyss is "I heard the Abyss!" - it was all of 5-10 minutes (at most) in a noisy room of head-fi geeks. I didn't think they were the best 'phones I heard at the meet - but of course that could change with more listening time. I also have almost zero high-end gear experience, so I was usually just going "gaaaaaahhhhhh" for the entire 5-10 minutes I had the Abyss, LCD-2 & 3, Stax, HD800, etc on my head. I was like the kid that gets to sit in the pilot's seat before the plane takes off, then runs back to his seat yelling "Mom, I got to fly the plane!" :p

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #16,317 of 21,763
Quote:
They ONLY have short vowels. Basically:

Speaking of cameras, I've decided, after getting a D800 that I'm going to do almost all my indoor photography with 24mm f2.8 and 35mm f2 primes.

That's neat! So Sony is a bit more like 'sohnny'?

I do almost all my photography with the one 24mm 1.8 lens. It's such a good walkaround lens, with a 6cm minimum focus distance so it also acts as macro-ish. It was expensive but so worth the investment for me.

Quote:

Well, isn't it just like headphones? We know the model numbers and the competing camera systems, and then there is some common language in terms of aperture numbers and focal lengths etc.

I honestly did not really start getting into photography till I got my first prime lens. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #16,318 of 21,763
Quote:

That's neat! So Sony is a bit more like 'sohnny'?

I do almost all my photography with the one 24mm 1.8 lens. It's such a good walkaround lens, with a 6cm minimum focus distance so it also acts as macro-ish. It was expensive but so worth the investment for me.

Well, isn't it just like headphones? We know the model numbers and the competing camera systems, and then there is some common language in terms of aperture numbers and focal lengths etc.

I honestly did not really start getting into photography till I got my first prime lens. 

True, when I start tossing model names like Sony EX600, Meelectronics 161p, Ortofon e-Q7, Westone 4, SM64, UERM, Heir 4A I've gotten some pretty blank stares. You should see the look on peoples faces when I throw slang such as bright, muddy, bloated, sound stage, recessed, analytical, and PRAT around. People look at me like I just came from Mars.

Hey Tom, I have a pair of the HiSound E212 coming in for a product feedback review on head-fi. You want me to do a future piece for CYMBACAVUM too?

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #16,319 of 21,763
A quick guide to Japanese pronunciation: They ONLY have short vowels. Basically:

"a" as in the "u" sound in "bus", which means the romaji for bus is "basu". They don't have the short "a" sound that we use for "cat/sat/mat" etc. that the dentist tells you to say.
"e" as in "set";
"i" as in "sit";
"o" as in "not";
"u" as the "oo" in "look".

That means "Nikon" is pronounced like the bold words in the sentence, "Nick sat on the chair."

I know this is going to sound dumb what with you being in Japan but,

I've never heard the "a" sound like u as in bus nor the "i" short and curt like in sit. Is this a specific dialect?

I've always heard "a" closer to "ah" and "i" like the e in me.

Have I been wrong all this time? =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back