The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #16,291 of 21,763
The Parterre is a really fun IEM, probably FitEar's least monitor-like universal with more emphasis at either end of the sound spectrum. It also boasts a more theatric type of presentation, larger and more like a concert hall.

I am understanding only half of this, which is not bad one might say. I find the tg334 and the 335DW anything but monitor like...they have lush mids, bass emphasis, an overall sound I do not find monitor like at all...but maybe you meant Minotaur like, quite human in the bottom end but bull like in the top end.

Is the 435 not more monitor like?

On the other hand the 334 and 335 do sound intimate which makes me think the Parterre is closer to the Miracles, with a wider and airier soumdstage. Never heard it though so I couldn't know.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #16,292 of 21,763
Hmmm these latest impressions kinda kill my interest in the Parterre. Fatiguing coupled with boring mids are like a negatory double whammy

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #16,293 of 21,763
Quote:
I am understanding only half of this, which is not bad one might say. I find the tg334 and the 335DW anything but monitor like...they have lush mids, bass emphasis, an overall sound I do not find monitor like at all...but maybe you meant Minotaur like, quite human in the bottom end but bull like in the top end.

Is the 435 not more monitor like?

On the other hand the 334 and 335 do sound intimate which makes me think the Parterre is closer to the Miracles, with a wider and airier soumdstage. Never heard it though so I couldn't know.

Now that more and more folks are hearing FitEar's lineup, it seems like it's shaping up to be a rather polarizing brand. I've read more conflicting impressions of the TG!334 for instance than almost any other universal IEM in recent memory (save for maybe the K3003), and it seems like opinions differ quite wildly to the point where there's disagreement on what folks are hearing from the very outset. One possibility is large unit to unit variation, though it seems unlikely given the meticulous detail and OCD level of attention Suyama-san gives to his products. Another possibility is that there is variation, but it's due to FitEar discretely updating their product line from one batch to the next (which seems to occur with certain Japanese manufacturers). I tend to suspect it's more a matter of different expectations, perspectives, and nomenclature however.

It took me quite a bit of listening time and comparisons across several different models before I personally felt I could wrap my head around FitEar's approach. It's quite distinctive, and I feel they do have something of a "house sound" to their products. There is a certain similarity across all of the models---I find they're more alike than not---so that even the Private line, while different from the more recent iterations, feels like a natural stage of FitEar's overall trajectory. I really feel as though Suyama-san has an explicit idea of what a monitor should sound like, and everything FitEar produces ties into this to an extent. Similar to a director like Bela Tarr who is said to direct the same film over and over.

To me the FitEar house sound is very much monitor-like in the same way I consider the Sony EX800ST to be characteristically monitor-like: a midrange emphasis with extreme clarity and detail, yet overall somewhat polite tilt (ie. somewhat deemphasized treble) to allow longterm listening with minimal fatigue. Also the presentation is stereotypically much more intimate and focused to allow for more diagnostic listening. Kind of reminds me of the first applications of headphones as analytical tools (before Stax came along with their SR-Sigma ---- a focus on just the what versus the what, where, and why). But yeah, I see it as diametrically opposed to more of a hi-fi approach as with the 1Plus2 or HD800: treble emphasis to make details pop, a more theatric type of presentation, etc. Basically what the Parterre is trying to do too.

I don't really hear the FitEar midrange as lush in the sense of timbre. It's emphasized, but it's still fairly transparent to my ears. Also while the bottom end has a definite emphasis, I personally don't find it to be as emphasized as some others seem to, or "thick" as one or two head-fiers have called it. To me the TG!334's bottom end is somewhat sluggish which does give it an exaggerated quality, but the MH335DW bottom-end is much snappier and more responsive. I also think the deemphasis of the treble contributes to perceptions of bass emphasis to an extent. In a way I'm reminded of Audez'e or the earlier SR-007 units. The C435 operates on the same continuum, falls within the same paradigm despite being an earlier (and seemingly disavowed?) take on the same overall vision I think.

Quote:

So like anyway serious question which is the best STAX apart from those super expensive ones, like the best sounding STAX under $2000?  If no one has an opinion on that in here it's ok never mind me.

Pretty gemstones....

As a kid I used to have books filled with pictures of rocks and minerals, both cut and uncut, and I'd stare at them for a long time just admiring the geometry and colors. Between that and sealife, I thought nature was the bees knees.

You can find an older ("mk1") SR-007 for around 1500 USD. In a lot of ways this is still my favorite headphone of all time.

Also you can get a normal bias Lambda or pro bias Lambda Nova Signature along with an energizer for well under $1k. They'll sound fantastic IMHO.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #16,294 of 21,763
You haven't seen the anime Initial D yet right? 
wink.gif

Watch it and you will understand 
beerchug.gif

The only ones I've really enjoyed are Vampire Hunter D and Cowboy Bebop. My wife is the anime lover, not me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #16,295 of 21,763
Quote:

Between that and sealife, I thought nature was the bees knees.

Asians love sealife... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqphVlp2VJI

Quote:
Also you can get a normal bias Lambda or pro bias Lambda Nova Signature along with an energizer for well under $1k. They'll sound fantastic IMHO.

Yeahhhhh I like that model, Lambda is the 507 right?

Could you please explain what normal bias, pro bias, and an "energizer" is?  Also which third-party or Stax amplifier is recommended?

I think I'm going to sell every dynamic headphone I have and go for this, so tired of "dynamic driver sound" at the moment for some reason.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #16,296 of 21,763
Haha. Well the thing is, the 3N with 16-50 kit lens is CHEAPER than the RX100 and yet is better performing and going to be more flexible. I suppose you lose the absolute pocketability of the RX100 but honestly that is what a camera phone is for. The 3N can sit in your bag and you are going to be paying less for a system that you can continue upgrading merrily in the future (sell the body, keep the lens, etc). That's how I'd think of it anyway.

320 ohm? Could be that it's 32 ohm? I'll assume from now on on that basis.

Oops, my mistake. I meant 250 ohm,

You know what? I can have the luxury of having a MIL camera, since my phone has more than decent imaging power. Yeah, sure. I'd now take a look at MILCs then.
------
People are always asking "what's the best headphones at X?" where X is the absolute limit that they can spend and will be fked if the end up not liking the purchase, when they tend to forget that the higher end you go for headphones, amps that are equally expensive becomes more and more needed. Honestly, alpha's posts is rather tiring to read, even through someone else's answers and quotes.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #16,297 of 21,763
I just started reading the T-Peos H-100 loaner tour thread and saw this all these negative comments, like "awful" and "no mids" and "cardboard sound".

What?  The H-100 is one of the best IEM's I've ever heard, and isn't nearly as V-shaped as say, the ATH-CKM99, which I find way too V-shaped, I actually don't like V-shaped very much and loved the H-100, really weird thread!

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #16,298 of 21,763
I just started reading the T-Peos H-100 loaner tour thread and saw this all these negative comments, like "awful" and "no mids" and "cardboard sound".

What?  The H-100 is one of the best IEM's I've ever heard, and isn't nearly as V-shaped as say, the ATH-CKM99, which I find way too V-shaped, I actually don't like V-shaped very much and loved the H-100, really weird thread!

What about W shaped?

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #16,299 of 21,763
Quote:
Sigh Sennheiser Amperior on sale..... but Im banned from getting any other audio equipment till the end of the year.......

Um, where please? 
redface.gif

Quote:

You can find an older ("mk1") SR-007 for around 1500 USD. In a lot of ways this is still my favorite headphone of all time.

Mine as well.  Even my most recent Abyss audition did nothing to change that. 
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #16,300 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

Great! Somebody got one for me? 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #16,301 of 21,763
I'm gonna be honest, I've always been intrigued by the H-100 after readin thru Eke's tour thread. I almost entertained the notion of buying his just to see whether they were as awful as described when I realized that bros wouldn't sell bros H-100's :l

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #16,302 of 21,763
Quote:

What about W shaped?

Lol!

Quote:

I hated the "Denon sound" and prefer deadly neutral or extra 50Hz bass and 10kHz spikes, to me that is "home cinema" sound, which I don't find tiring at all.

Not to mention I love a spike around 2.5kHz, and I constantly feel agitated about "BA sound" versus "dynamic sound", so no wonder that IEM sounds amazing!

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #16,303 of 21,763
Quote:
Yeahhhhh I like that model, Lambda is the 507 right?

Could you please explain what normal bias, pro bias, and an "energizer" is?  Also which third-party or Stax amplifier is recommended?

I think I'm going to sell every dynamic headphone I have and go for this, so tired of "dynamic driver sound" at the moment for some reason.

The Lambda line has been around since the 70s, and it's Stax's mainstream line of electrostats. Basically they released the original SR-Lambda as a more cost effective, streamlined version of their panoramic earspeaker concept, the SR-Sigma, which was their flagship model until the SR-Omega was released in the 90s. The goal for the panoramic earspeaker was to design something that simulated the actual context of listening to music. Up until that point, headphones were basically diagnostic tools originally invented for wartime applications, deciphering signals and listening to the human voice. The concept just happened to be borrowed for music listening, and as a result "soundstage" wasn't really a priority, and in fact would be kind of distracting if you're just trying to analyze something. The SR-Sigma was built from the ground up to try to replicate the actual experience of listening to music in a live setting, so they've got those really wonky housings that position the drivers in such a way to create a very unique sensation of space.

The Lambda is kind of a mini version of this, which is why they have that very distinctive rectangular look. There have been many different versions of the Lambda over the years: the original, the Lambda Pro, the Lambda Signature. Starting with the Nova lineup (in the late 80s I believe?) they started making a full range: the Lambda Nova Basic, Lambda Nova Classic, and Lambda Nova Signature. This trend continues on today with the 202/303/404 and now the most recent 207/307/407. The 507 is the newest and highest end Lambda model, though it's basically the 407 with real leather earpads and the oversized (and wonky IMHO) frame from the SR-009.

Older Stax models are normal (lower) bias, and have a different pin configuration on the plug. You need an amp that is specifically set to drive these. Stax eventually switched to "pro bias" which is a higher bias, and any models from the 80s onward (and all modern amps) will support this standard. Plugging a pro bias into a normal bias jack wont cause any problems, but if you plug a normal bias into a pro bias jack it'll basically destroy the headphones. Too much power. Because of the pin arrangement however, you're not likely to accidentally do this. An energizer is basically any kind of amp that powers the stats. You can get a transformer for a lot less and plug it into a speaker amp you already have, or you can get a dedicated standalone amp just for driving stats. Consensus seems to be the standalones sound better, but they can get really expensive, and truthfully I don't think the Lambda series needs a lot in terms of amplification.

When I recommended the SR-Lambda, I meant the original normal bias one. You can get one and a transformer for around $500-ish, or at least you could before all the flippers started ripping people off. Any of the Lambdas will be fine, but the more recent ones tend to have treble etch, and the older ones are a bit better balanced IMHO. For amps I recommend the Stax SRM-T1 series (I have the W version) which can drive both pro and normal bias. The SRM-323 is also a good bet.

Quote:

Um, where please?  
redface.gif

smile.gif

The SR-007 still wins out for me for long-term listening, as it is still one of the most fatigue-free listens in fullsized headphones I find. It's still easiest for me to live with on a daily basis. The Abyss however wins out in terms of sheer technical razzle dazzle, with its absurd speed and lightning fast transient response (so fast it even trips over itself sometimes --- LOL), its sense of layering and detail mongering (without the treble emphasis of the HD800 and even the SR-009). In terms of fatigue it's sort of halfway between the 007 and 009 for me. Though the treble isn't as refined as the SR-009, the overall balance is better for me. The bottom end also far more satisfying for me without any added bass emphasis, and overall it has more presence and spatial weightiness (what I call "gravity") compared to most 'stats. I've compared the signature to that of the Paradox, rather linear complete with its slight emphasis above the sibilance region, and it seems a few others agree w/ me. In essence, the Abyss does most things I value with aplomb. There are other headphones that do things better, but as a whole the Abyss is among the most complete packages for me.

Interestingly, Tyll said something about the unit at the LA meet not having the same treble issues he noted in his review. My set doesn't seem to have those issues either. But yes, it's nice to see more impressions for them. I know Jason from Schiit Audio was very impressed with them, as was Frank Cooter.

I'd still take an SR-007 as my desert island headphone, just because of its ultimate agreeableness. It's still pretty much the most "transparent" for me, the term specifically in quotations because I use it to mean "getting out of the way." The SR-007 just disappears the most for me most of the time, so in some ways it's the easiest to forget about and just connect to the music, even if I find the Abyss can plumb musical depths more from a technical standpoint. Then there's the new Jecklin Float, the QUAD Atelier. This is the third member of my headphone trifecta. For me it's the most fun, with a really uncanny sense of immersion, literally putting you in the middle of the music. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #16,304 of 21,763
Quote:
Sigh Sennheiser Amperior on sale..... but Im banned from getting any other audio equipment till the end of the year.......

Quote:

Um, where please? 
redface.gif

Only for us Aussies! Yesterday I got a call. A friend of a friend found two pairs of Amperiors in stock at JB HiFi. Before he finished talking I knew what he was going to tell me. The Amperior recently went on clearance for $199 in Australia but the stock was very quickly depleted from retail and online stores - or so I thought. Lo and behold, this guy finds TWO pairs in a store in Campbelltown. At the same time, JB is doing a 20% off sale on Sennheiser headphones.

So, Amperior for 160. I reserved one pair and my friend the other.

This is really a temporary purchase because I bought it to compare to the Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium Edition (I really liked the loaner HD25 I got) but one thing we will get to do is blind testing between the Amperior and the standard edition / aluminium edition to see if the aluminium cups, new earpads and 70 ohm drivers actually make any difference!

And because we will have two pairs of the Amperior we can do pad swapping to control for how much the earpads change the sound.

I'm kind of excited because I think it will be a fun to do and a fun video to watch!

After that one must fall, so I'd keep the Alu Ed. or the Amperior. $160!!!

Quote:

I've seen that before... besides reminding me of the scene in Oldboy (if that scene makes it into the new Hollywood remake I will be amazed) it makes me feel real bad for it.

Quote:
You know what? I can have the luxury of having a MIL camera, since my phone has more than decent imaging power. Yeah, sure. I'd now take a look at MILCs then.

*cackles and makes claw hands* YES FALL INTO THE EVIL TRAP FALLL

Quote:
My last girlfriend was a professional photographer. She had a thing for Nikons, so I tend to associate the two now irrevocably.

I know very little about the world of high-end cameras nowadays, but I'm really drawn to Sony's NEX line for some reason. Lach's video overview kind of helped to reinforce that.

I never know if it's meant to be pronounced NIKE - ON or NICK - ON. Same with Ricoh - RIGH- co or REE-co. Sometimes I hear people say SON-y (like the son from sonnet) like they are some weeaboo Japanese oldhand when even the company itself pronounces it SONE-y (like the sone from Ultrasone) and I'm like - chyeah.

But yes I've totally fallen in love with the NEX. Along with the SEL2418z and a collection of curious old glass lenses (I recently got a Asahi Super Takumumar that uses Thorium in the glass and is thus mildly radioactive!!!!!) I'm having a lot of fun with it. <3

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #16,305 of 21,763
Apparently Sony's NEX line(s) have a lot of new third party lenses compared to other MILC systems. Also not too keen on the 3N for the lack of mode dial. Sure, there's an on-screen implementation for it, but a mode dial at least will be a lot faster. Other entry level MILC systems seem to have that same design though; i.e. the lack of a mode dial. Hmm. No matter; tomorrow I'm going to a camera shop to play around with some advanced compact cameras and MILC systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back