The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #15,857 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
I heard this two days ago driving an HD 800, and I was surprised at how clean it was (without exaggerating the HD 800's brightness).  It's very competent amp in my book.

Personally, I'd rather have the E-Q7... but you have enough nice IEMs that you won't miss it, and I can understand that. 
smile.gif

True, that's the main reason I let the e-Q7 go. It was getting almost no head time with me and was just sitting there in it's box gathering dust. I'm sure the guy who took it off my hands will appreciate it as good gear. I was surprised the trader came up and offered me the amp straight up. There was no haggling no nothing just here's some pics let me know if you're interested in a straight up one for one trade. I wish all people who PMed me were that straight forward about what they wanted. I guess it's true that patience in the long run will pay off. So Warren, would you say the amp is a pretty neutralish amp or are we talking fun sounding and slightly warm. I remember there being a bit of hype around this amp awhile back and some people were saying it was pretty neutral while others said it was rich and warm. Kind of an oxymoron in my book. I'm hoping this amp mated with my CLAS-db DAC will take my Sextette and Q701 to the next level. I've just about given up on my Q can.

You know, I actually don't know!  I'm inclined to think that it's a bit warm, since it seemed to take the edge off of the HD 800 at the top... and added a slight heft at the bottom.  But in doing so, it made the HD 800 neutral, so maybe neutral?  LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  I can definitely say that it was a good pairing with the HD 800, so I would think that it does well with brighter cans of all kinds.

Quote:

DigitalFreak who is this guy anyways? I'm wondering if he has the ipower supply up for grabs :wink:. I'd like that for my DACport LX.

Ha!  I should have thought of asking this! 
biggrin.gif
  Touche! 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
  photography coarse

No need. Lots of resources online. YouTube and Vimeo are your friend. That's how I learned.

Also, I built a little lightbox years ago out of foamcore and some muslin.  Helps a lot in terms of not having crazy reflections of stuff in the room.  Might be fun to try maybe? 
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #15,858 of 21,761
Quote:
Thanks Coq, that makes more sense. By the way, how have you been my friend? Life is good with you the family and the new job? The Swedish summer is as hot as the Canadian summer I hope?

The Swedish summer is beautiful (and hot) and my family is on the countryside, and rightfully so, they have a lake there, nature and all the time in the world to do whatever they want to do. I'm at home working because I can't really take a vacation right now due to work - maybe I'll take a week or so later in the summer, we'll see how it works out. How have you been my bus driving friend? I hope that harrassing guy who wanted to steal your gear hasn't shown up anymore after the incident at the café...

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #15,859 of 21,761
God, the voice of Alison Moyet gives me goose bumps.

The original song is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wtJyh2Co4

But the electro synthpop loving side of me might actually like the remix a bit more:

Head-fi should fix the bug that prevents from embedding youtube videos with dashes in the adress.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #15,860 of 21,761
BTW, DF, since you're taking so many pictures and videos, I think it's worth it for you to upgrade your camera gear.

Great stuff goes on clearance all the time. No need for the cutting edge. I'm still using the same camera I bought six years ago, and my backup is eight years old.

Speaking of which, I have a Sigma DP1s that I'd be willing to donate to a good cause, since it doesn't get much use lately. It's a rather exotic and unwieldy cam that's primarily suited for landscape photography, but the lens is tack sharp and on a good day the pics can be pretty amazing:

www.head-fi.org/t/256063/post-your-photography-here-2-new-dial-up-800x600-friendly/6630#post_6833450

www.head-fi.org/t/256063/post-your-photography-here-2-new-dial-up-800x600-friendly/6630#post_6833528

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #15,861 of 21,761
I love the DP1! Ergonomics and menus were awkward, but the Foveon X3 is such a cool sensor, despite its crap high ISO performance. Back in the day, even though I knew the camera handled weirdly, I lusted after it. This was before all the u4/3 and NEX cameras came out...

Under the right conditions (sunny), the DP1 with the AML-1 close-up adapter would make a great headphone/IEM shooter!
http://www.rytterfalk.com/2008/06/19/sigma-dp1-aml-1-lens-review-in-video-and-pictures/

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #15,862 of 21,761
Quote:

You know, I actually don't know!  I'm inclined to think that it's a bit warm, since it seemed to take the edge off of the HD 800 at the top... and added a slight heft at the bottom.  But in doing so, it made the HD 800 neutral, so maybe neutral?  LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  I can definitely say that it was a good pairing with the HD 800, so I would think that it does well with brighter cans of all kinds.

Ha!  I should have thought of asking this! 
biggrin.gif
  Touche! 
tongue.gif

Also, I built a little lightbox years ago out of foamcore and some muslin.  Helps a lot in terms of not having crazy reflections of stuff in the room.  Might be fun to try maybe? 
smile.gif

Instant lightbox 101. Go to a dollar store. Look for the kitchen supplies. The thin sheet plastic cutting "boards" that roll up come in translucent clear, red and a few other colors. The clear is absolutely perfect for a lighbox if you buy a few and tape them at the corners. You can also just roll it up around your subject if it is small enough.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #15,863 of 21,761
I remember when the SD9 was introduced - the Foveon sensor is a very cool piece of tech!

I had forgotten these were phone camera pics - that certainly makes it more challenging! I was simply noticing that in a couple of the pics, the nearest points on the subject and the farthest points weren't as sharp as the center. I think DoF control is one of the things we have lost as cameras have become simpler and sensors smaller.

The most enjoyable college classes I took were two photography classes. Great fun!

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #15,864 of 21,761
What with all this photography talk...

While I'm mostly content with my Nokia 808 PV, once in a while I do wish that I have more manual control, like aperture or shutter speed. Sure, the creative mode in that phone is as granular as a default camera app can get, but obviously it can't beat a real camera. And physics also limits it somewhat with its lens and sensor size (to a degree, since it's the largest (if not second largest, since Nokia is launching its spiritual successor using Windows Phone 8)).

Maybe I should get a used u4/3 that have a relatively huge lens choice and be done with that for the occasional semi-amateur photography cravings...

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #15,865 of 21,761
I rarely shoot in full manual, for general walking around, my preferred mode is aperture priority. That let's me set the f/stop to control DoF and let's the camera figure out the shutter speed. I only shoot manual when I'm on a tripod and I have time to play around with different settings to try to get different effects.

But - this all ancient history for me - I haven't really been into photography for at least 10 years. My advice is learn about light - everything follows from that. There are tons of tutorial sites on the web.
Just a few of MANY examples:
http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/2009/06/34-essential-tutorials-to-get-started-with-digital-photography/
http://www.geofflawrence.com/index.html
http://digital-photography-school.com/

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #15,867 of 21,761
Quote:
What with all this photography talk...

While I'm mostly content with my Nokia 808 PV, once in a while I do wish that I have more manual control, like aperture or shutter speed. Sure, the creative mode in that phone is as granular as a default camera app can get, but obviously it can't beat a real camera. And physics also limits it somewhat with its lens and sensor size (to a degree, since it's the largest (if not second largest, since Nokia is launching its spiritual successor using Windows Phone 8)).

Maybe I should get a used u4/3 that have a relatively huge lens choice and be done with that for the occasional semi-amateur photography cravings...

Yeah that Nokia 1020 looks pretty spiffy with its manual controls. I must admit I'm intrigued but I would probably wait till Nokia implements that Pelican Imaging tech they acquired...

Quote:
But - this all ancient history for me - I haven't really been into photography for at least 10 years. My advice is learn about light - everything follows from that. There are tons of tutorial sites on the web.

Aye, I can echo this. All you need to understand is that a camera is just a device that captures light, and then understanding every other setting follows.

That said it's really helpful to have someone there to guide you through some of the basic concepts. If you have friends who are into photography DF they might be able to give you some pointers.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #15,868 of 21,761
Yeah that Nokia 1020 looks pretty spiffy with its manual controls. I must admit I'm intrigued but I would probably wait till Nokia implements that Pelican Imaging tech they acquired...

They did what now... This is the only reason why I'm still sticking with Nokia very closely. Too bad that their push into Maemo/MeeGo flopped... but then the Pro Camera app they developed for the L1020 looks absolutely awesome for a phone. Heck, I think I saw a shutter speed setting, on top of the usual manual setting for cameraphones (WB, exposure level, ISO).

And my 808 PV is yet to reach 1 year old... why tempt me so Nokia... The only niggle I had so far is that it looks... relatively ugly, in a sense. The camera island on my 808 PV flows better into the body than the perfect circle island meshed with the flat, wide body of the L1020.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #15,869 of 21,761
Quote:
They did what now... This is the only reason why I'm still sticking with Nokia very closely. Too bad that their push into Maemo/MeeGo flopped... but then the Pro Camera app they developed for the L1020 looks absolutely awesome for a phone. Heck, I think I saw a shutter speed setting, on top of the usual manual setting for cameraphones (WB, exposure level, ISO).

And my 808 PV is yet to reach 1 year old... why tempt me so Nokia...

Yeah it looks real nice.

The Pelican Imaging sensor is a grid array of sensors that take the same image from slightly different angles. This means that using the slight differences between the angles they can

a) Computationally work out depth information and therefore let you re-focus in the image after you take it (much like a Lytro but the technology is less complex). Pelican also suggests interesting ideas like 3D depth mapping and modelling with the camera
b) Reject camera noise since it will be different between each sensor
c) Image stabilization by working out camera motion computationally 

It's so insane that a handheld camera will soon have the CPU grunt to do this kind of processing on the fly.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #15,870 of 21,761
Yeah it looks real nice.

The Pelican Imaging sensor is a grid array of sensors that take the same image from slightly different angles. This means that using the slight differences between the angles they can

a) Computationally work out depth information and therefore let you re-focus in the image after you take it (much like a Lytro but the technology is less complex). Pelican also suggests interesting ideas like 3D depth mapping and modelling with the camera
b) Reject camera noise since it will be different between each sensor
c) Image stabilization by working out camera motion computationally 

It's so insane that a handheld camera will soon have the CPU grunt to do this kind of processing on the fly.

Surely it will be in their next flagship in two years (if not next year's, but that's too little time for R&D IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back