The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #15,841 of 21,761
Quote:
Yeah but you can also be targeted when someone provided the burglar with insider info of what yiur apt contains...like a delivery guy or somesuch.

Well I guess the only solution is to leave your living room trashed and ghetto :wink:. They'll probably think twice about messing with you.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #15,842 of 21,761
Quote:
This sucks. I don't feel safe in my apt, so I sat up all night with a knife in my hand.

I've been doing my own investigation this morning. The guy who I suspected may or may not have an alibi that puts him at my complex for not very long (unless he's an expert at grabbing things in less than an hour, which is still very feasible). Apparently I live in the hood (my complex), and the police officer warned me about keeping valuables there.

The detectives are being slow to come do more fingerprinting, so I can't even touch things around the apartment, which looks  even worse in the daylight.

My whole life was on my computer. Now I have all this anger, with nothing concrete to punch. I'm glad I still have my iems, and they didn't take the Translucent items.

I wish there was something we could do, my friend.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #15,843 of 21,761
Quote:
In some ways, it's a little like 2 people running away from a grizzly bear. You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than the other guy. Likewise, you don't need your apartment to be Fort Knox - you just have to appear to be a less desirable target than the other places in your neighborhood. For example, I'll bet 1st floor apartments are burgled more than 2nd floor apartments. That doesn't mean 2nd floor apts are never burgled, but maybe the probability is lower. Leaving your blinds closed, but the lights and TV on might be enough to make someone move on to a quiet apartment. Even an alarm company decal (but no actual alarm) might be all the edge you need.

What my neighbor does is he has various lights in his house on timers so it looks like there's someone at home moving around the house. He even has a radio on a timer.

Alright, I took a few very quick pics. Now, I still need to work on my lighting, I'm mulling over some ideas concerning that, but overall I think my pics look much clearer then before. So tell me guys, what do you think? Tom, if you're around do you think everything looks more clear now, aside from the lighting of coarse?

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #15,845 of 21,761
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #15,847 of 21,761
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #15,848 of 21,761
Yes, sorry - I was typing too quickly! DoF is how far in front and behind the actual focus point will still be sharply in focus. The smaller the aperture, the larger the depth of field. Of course, the smaller aperture, the less light as well, so the exposure time would also need to be increased. To get the picture to "pop", you typically want the primary object to be sharply in focus, and everything else to be blurred.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #15,849 of 21,761
Quote:
Yes, sorry - I was typing too quickly! DoF is how far in front and behind the actual focus point will still be sharply in focus. The smaller the aperture, the larger the depth of field. Of course, the smaller aperture, the less light as well, so the exposure time would also need to be increased. To get the picture to "pop", you typically want the primary object to be sharply in focus, and everything else to be blurred.

Easiest way to think about this is what happens when you squint. Everything gets darker but sharper.

That said I'm not sure how helpful this is for DF given that he is using a phone camera that doesn't give much manual control?

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #15,850 of 21,761
Quote:

Easiest way to think about this is what happens when you squint. Everything gets darker but sharper.

That said I'm not sure how helpful this is for DF given that he is using a phone camera that doesn't give much manual control?

Yeah, unfortunately my photo gear is pretty crappy. My old Fuji point and shoot is even crappier

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #15,851 of 21,761
  1. These are iPhone pictures. DF doesn't get any manual exposure control.
  2. Besides, phone camera sensor sizes are so tiny that you'd need an < f/1.X lens to get any type of shallow DoF.
  3. DoF also won't matter here, as the background is right behind the subject.
  4. The only way to get shallow depth of field here is to bring the camera closer to the subject, but iPhones have relatively poor macro functions.
  5. Macro also runs into problems with the phone blocking the light falling on the subject.
  6. One thing to realize about photographers is that we fake things, a lot. A setting might look "improvised", like we've just taken it in a room, but really the background and foreground have been moved around and manipulated for the best possible composition under the best possible light. But that's why street photography is fun. You don't have the luxury of doing that.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #15,852 of 21,761
BTW, DF, since you're taking so many pictures and videos, I think it's worth it for you to upgrade your camera gear.

Great stuff goes on clearance all the time. No need for the cutting edge. I'm still using the same camera I bought six years ago, and my backup is eight years old.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #15,855 of 21,761
Quote:
BTW, DF, since you're taking so many pictures and videos, I think it's worth it for you to upgrade your camera gear.

Great stuff goes on clearance all the time. No need for the cutting edge. I'm still using the same camera I bought six years ago, and my backup is eight years old.

Yeah I've thought of that too. I'll also need to invest in a photography coarse so I can at least know some of the basics concerning lens, lighting, composition etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back