The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,576 of 2,112
Agreed about the LCD3 - I will still go for them (next year now) if they're the better hp. OTOH LCD-X specs are interesting - a yet lighter diaphragm and 22 ohms (presumably still flat, resistive) impedance. Taboos should love these.

Of course it's not unheard of for later tech to outdo earlier at a lower price (perhaps it is unheard of in high-end audio?
evil_smiley.gif
). I await impressions with interest.

You are SUCH a sceptic! ( and a realist as well!)  
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,577 of 2,112
Lol Eric, my day job must be getting to me :D

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,578 of 2,112
  They're coming through: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/120#post_9883562

I'm tempted. But, as history teaches us with Audeze, it might be a good idea to wait for a while before pulling the trigger. :p

I'm not tempted.  I am happy with the warmer signature of the LCD 2.2s and still await what they'll sound like with the silver widows.  If I want "Balanced" and more "Revealing/detailed" I put on the HD800s.  On some recordings the HD800's are just too much though and I go to the LCD 2.2s...they're always pleasing on any recording.  Before I would buy another Audeze I'd actually have to do A B testing with them against the LCD 2.2s.  Mark.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,579 of 2,112
  I'm not tempted.  I am happy with the warmer signature of the LCD 2.2s and still await what they'll sound like with the silver widows.  If I want "Balanced" and more "Revealing/detailed" I put on the HD800s.  On some recordings the HD800's are just too much though and I go to the LCD 2.2s...they're always pleasing on any recording.  Before I would buy another Audeze I'd actually have to do A B testing with them against the LCD 2.2s.  Mark.

The Silver Widows have fantastic synergy with the LCD-2s. I used them both. For me it was a bit different as after buying the HD800 my LCD-2s did not get much head time and eventually got sold. But I hear what you're saying about some recordings. I listen to pretty much everything between classical and metal. The LCD-3s made that good again for camp Audeze. But then came the SR007s MKI and in short that took care of them all others.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,580 of 2,112

The Silver Widows have fantastic synergy with the LCD-2s. I used them both. For me it was a bit different as after buying the HD800 my LCD-2s did not get much head time and eventually got sold. But I hear what you're saying about some recordings. I listen to pretty much everything between classical and metal. The LCD-3s made that good again for camp Audeze. But then came the SR007s MKI and in short that took care of them all others.

Different strokes for different folks.  When I first got the HD800s, I was tempted to send them back.  The recording had to be just perfect and even then they sounded too edgy and bright.  I keep both the LCDs and the HD800s hooked up when listening and after the HD800s had had some break in, I liked them much better and they won't be going anywhere.  But for LPs with a bit too much surface noise or poorer recordings of any source the LCDs are the only way to go. Mark.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,581 of 2,112
  Different strokes for different folks.  When I first got the HD800s, I was tempted to send them back.  The recording had to be just perfect and even then they sounded too edgy and bright.  I keep both the LCDs and the HD800s hooked up when listening and after the HD800s had had some break in, I liked them much better and they won't be going anywhere.  But for LPs with a bit too much surface noise or poorer recordings of any source the LCDs are the only way to go. Mark.

All that on the Taboo? This may sound trivial, but if your ears are young or otherwise very sensitive to treble (I am), might be worthwhile to give your HD800s a copper aftermarket cable and the Anax mod. That made them immensely enjoyable for me.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,582 of 2,112

All that on the Taboo? This may sound trivial, but if your ears are young or otherwise very sensitive to treble (I am), might be worthwhile to give your HD800s a copper aftermarket cable and the Anax mod. That made them immensely enjoyable for me.

Yes, I use the Taboo and soon I'll add a CSP 3. For speakers ordered (HR-1s) I have the Decware Torii MK IV Amp ordered.  My hearing if extremely good/sensitive.  I thought the standard cable was cooper....what's the anax mod?  I don't think I'm ready for another $500 aftermarket cable purchase...the Silver Widows are enough for now.  Exactly what aftermarket cooper cable did you buy for the HD800's?  Mark. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,583 of 2,112
  Yes, I use the Taboo and soon I'll add a CSP 3. For speakers ordered (HR-1s) I have the Decware Torii MK IV Amp ordered.  My hearing if extremely good/sensitive.  I thought the standard cable was cooper....what's the anax mod?  I don't think I'm ready for another $500 aftermarket cable purchase...the Silver Widows are enough for now.  Exactly what aftermarket cooper cable did you buy for the HD800's?  Mark. 

Very worthwhile: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

I may have guessed right, your ears appear to be similar to mine in relation to treble. I can still hear up to 20k  and sharp/hot treble kills the deal for me. The mod above is basically some damping to the resonant plastic materials in the ear cup. They sort out a good deal of the problem. I have heard several Toxic Cables and the Black Widow and Scorpion do treble justice the HD800s.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,584 of 2,112
If one were to get the Woo Wee what would be your lower level Stax that one might use if the SR007 MKI was not going to be purchased for a while?

Quote:

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,585 of 2,112

I am not sure about the lower models. It might be worthwhile to check in the Stax thread. I've only heard 3 stats, the 007MKIs, MKIIs and the SR-Omega. And that was enough to convince me. Just be aware there are 2 types connectors/bias voltages between the various Staxes. That's if you decide to go with the Woo as there are options when ordering. And it makes using the EL84s a requirement on the Taboo. I prefer them for the SQ anyway. I found the 6p15p will clip early.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/677809

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,586 of 2,112
Thanks for the info.  No immediate plans to try the Stax but good to know we have options using our Taboo.  

Quote:
  I am not sure about the lower models. It might be worthwhile to check in the Stax thread. I've only heard 3 stats, the 007MKIs, MKIIs and the SR-Omega. And that was enough to convince me. Just be aware there are 2 types connectors/bias voltages between the various Staxes. That's if you decide to go with the Woo as there are options when ordering. And it makes using the EL84s a requirement on the Taboo. I prefer them for the SQ anyway. I found the 6p15p will clip early.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/677809

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,587 of 2,112
Any other Taboo owners enjoying the Alpha Dogs as well?  The CSP > Taboo > Alpha Dogs have taken care of all my closed headphone needs.  A neutral headphone with the Taboo tube warmth.  Excellent combo.  Anybody with experience with the DT990 600 ohm and the Taboo?  Looking for an inexpensive, open, "fun" U- or V-shaped open dynamic headphone to pair with the Taboo.        

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,588 of 2,112
  Any other Taboo owners enjoying the Alpha Dogs as well?  The CSP > Taboo > Alpha Dogs have taken care of all my closed headphone needs.  A neutral headphone with the Taboo tube warmth.  Excellent combo.  Anybody with experience with the DT990 600 ohm and the Taboo?  Looking for an inexpensive, open, "fun" U- or V-shaped open dynamic headphone to pair with the Taboo.        

I've only heard AD's at a meet, but I was very impressed.  If I didn't already have a pair of planars, I probably would've gone for some.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,590 of 2,112
Hi all, it's been great knowing you all in this thread and thx for all the advise and input you've given me about the taboo.  I'll see you guys around the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back