The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,606 of 2,115
Though, I only owned the Taboo MKIII for a brief period of time.  I indeed loved the sound quality/signature it gave me on my HE500 very much.  The Taboo had no problem driving/bringing the best bass and low end extension from my HE500 while maintaining great airy mid and silky high.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,607 of 2,115
I get my csp3 today, very excited!

Very Nice!

beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #1,609 of 2,115
Yes, in my opinion, to your question about the low end. Not anemic. It can be tweaked with tube choice to fatten or lean out the bottom.

The Taboo on it's own is fantastic with the LCD-3. I could happily live with that pairing alone. I consider adding the CSP3 as more of a different flavor, rather than a universal improvement. It adds some sonic advantages but at a slight loss of certain other areas. It's preference whether you will like it alone or with the pre. However, with both amps in the chain you can pick what you're in the mood for during a particular listening session. This is a HUGE advantage!

I agree more with what you wrote earlier about the addition of the CSP3.  It adds weight and body, which I attribute to increased gain.  I view this as a universal improvement (with LCD-3's).  I think you're right though, in that it'll be personal preference on whether or not one likes the Taboo with or without the CSP3. But it's been hard for me to come up with negatives.  I really like it.

Quote:
I get my csp3 today, very excited!

Yay!  Let us know, in about a week or so, what you think.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,610 of 2,115
The only thing I can't recommend the taboo for is IEM/CIEM use. It's a bit too noisy in the background with very very sensitive drivers sitting right in your ear. Tube noise etc. Maybe it's the level of gain in the amps design? I guess if it's able to drive speakers well (Which it does) it has to give somewhere.

Have you tried turning the output knobs on the csp3 really low and playing IEM's through the Taboo that way? Might reduce noise to where they are listenable. May not work at all just something I thought about. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,611 of 2,115
  I agree more with what you wrote earlier about the addition of the CSP3.  It adds weight and body, which I attribute to increased gain.  I view this as a universal improvement (with LCD-3's).  I think you're right though, in that it'll be personal preference on whether or not one likes the Taboo with or without the CSP3. But it's been hard for me to come up with negatives.  I really like it.

Yeah, agreed, this "different flavor" I do like more, and personally consider it an improvement....I just like to be careful about what I recommend. I don't want to go saying it's 100% better for every user - Some may like the leaner more transparent (and less expenditure) of the Taboo alone. Different results with different DAC's, headphones, etc. as well. That said, I do like going back and forth - that is great to have options - but I do always prefer CSP3+Taboo in the end. Yes it is really hard to come up with negatives about adding the pre - except well maybe the $, LOL

Have you tried turning the output knobs on the csp3 really low and playing IEM's through the Taboo that way? Might reduce noise to where they are listenable. May not work at all just something I thought about. 

Well, they are listenable. Just noisier than I prefer in quiet sections and between songs. This is without the CSP3 even in the chain, or in fact with nothing plugged into the taboo inputs at all. I just find a small dedicated IEM amp better in this regard. And the CSP3 can be used to feed the IEM amp to get the tube goodness going.

I notice the CSP3 and Taboo sitting side by side, the tubes on the Taboo glow much brighter. I'm not sure the specifics of what that means but it seems to me the Taboo must be cranking lots more energy through it. More power and gain to drive speakers- it has to give somewhere, right? If its the ability to use IEM's that's fine.

One thing I think I should try- now that I'm thinking about it. I'm going to try cleaning all the pins and sockets with Deoxit, maybe I'm getting a little noise from a dirty contact. My CSP3 had a little noise on the left channel when it arrived new, I cleaned the socket and the noise disappeared. I need to pick up more cleaner -then I'll give it a try.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,612 of 2,115
  Well, they are listenable. Just noisier than I prefer in quiet sections and between songs. This is without the CSP3 even in the chain, or in fact with nothing plugged into the taboo inputs at all. I just find a small dedicated IEM amp better in this regard. And the CSP3 can be used to feed the IEM amp to get the tube goodness going.

It also depends on the IEMs. If they're less efficient then the hum is barely noticeable during quiet sections. If they are VERY efficient  then yeah ... don't bother.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,613 of 2,115
  It also depends on the IEMs. If they're less efficient then the hum is barely noticeable during quiet sections. If they are VERY efficient  then yeah ... don't bother.

Agreed, this may be a big part of my issue - certainly. I only have multi driver, BA in ears. Very sensitive. Still useable, just not ideal. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #1,615 of 2,115
It's always interesting to stop listening to the rig for a while then coming back and hearing it with new ears.  CSP3 + Taboo + Alpha Dogs continues to impress.  I also changed up my source a bit and I'm finding some annoyances have gone away.  The hum I was hearing before seems to have left.  New cable (Q-audio) and new computer (MacBook Pro).  Feeding my DAC from a better USB source seems to have "cleaned up" a lot of things.  Either that or some ground loop present before has left the area.  

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,616 of 2,115
Sweet system WNBC!

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,617 of 2,115
Very pretty looking system.  I like it.  No more noise/hum issue ?  That is great to hear.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,618 of 2,115
Those Alpha Dogs are really  nice looking.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #1,619 of 2,115
Very strange to me but definitely welcomed.  I didn't switch out tubes or power outlets.  The rig sat quiet for a period of almost 2 weeks.  I switched from a MacMini to MacBook Pro.  My previous Taboo MKII was dead quiet and I had been missing that since getting the MKIII.  However, now I'm now back to the black background with the MKIII.  It does change the listening experience not worrying about that little buzz during quiet passages or in between songs.  Really strange but oh well.        

Quote:
  Very pretty looking system.  I like it.  No more noise/hum issue ?  That is great to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back