The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,591 of 2,115
Agree.  I've been thinking of adding an open headphone and was thinking of returning to the HE-500 or HE-4.  But then it becomes a double planar rig which is fine but I'm just thinking a 2 headphone home rig and in that case matching up a good open dynamic headphone would be more complimentary.  

Quote:

I've only heard AD's at a meet, but I was very impressed.  If I didn't already have a pair of planars, I probably would've gone for some.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,592 of 2,115
We're all in this journey together.  You may be back here one day.  I left the Taboo world for 6 months and then came to the MKIII...then the CSP3.  

Cheers!

Quote:
  Hi all, it's been great knowing you all in this thread and thx for all the advise and input you've given me about the taboo.  I'll see you guys around the forum.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,593 of 2,115
  We're all in this journey together.  You may be back here one day.  I left the Taboo world for 6 months and then came to the MKIII...then the CSP3.  

Cheers!

Quote:
  Hi all, it's been great knowing you all in this thread and thx for all the advise and input you've given me about the taboo.  I'll see you guys around the forum.

Hobby? What hobby? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,594 of 2,115
Updated the desktop stereo today. Decware Taboo MK III amplifier, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, Onkyo ND-S1000 Media Transport (Japanese version) and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones.

Going to upgrade the cans to Audeze LCD-2s shortly. That's what the amp was specifically designed for.

Sweet sounds for sure!

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/turbox2/602397_10152281454472306_2017143691_n_zpsf81d5fd0.jpg

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,595 of 2,115
  Updated the desktop stereo today. Decware Taboo MK III amplifier, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, Onkyo ND-S1000 Media Transport (Japanese version) and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones.

Going to upgrade the cans to Audeze LCD-2s shortly. That's what the amp was specifically designed for.

Sweet sounds for sure!

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/turbox2/602397_10152281454472306_2017143691_n_zpsf81d5fd0.jpg

I remember when my desk looked that neat, hope yours stays that way longer than mine did! I think you will like the LCD-2's. 
What tubes are you using with the Taboo?

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #1,596 of 2,115
x2Turbo, that is a fine looking Taboo you have!  
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,597 of 2,115
x3 on the Taboo, Turbo!  I generally shy away from blonde wood for anything but with the black top the maple(?) makes a striking contrast.  Very nice!
x2 on the desk.  I wish I could keep a desk looking so tidy.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,598 of 2,115
I bet it does look familiar Longbow. LOL

Still using the stock tubes and the desk is clean because I cleaned it before I took the pic!! I have over a dozen vintage 6DJ8 tubes I took out of an old Tektronix scope that I want to try but haven't yet. They include some telefunken and Amperex bugle boys.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,599 of 2,115
  I bet it does look familiar Longbow. LOL

Still using the stock tubes and the desk is clean because I cleaned it before I took the pic!! I have over a dozen vintage 6DJ8 tubes I took out of an old Tektronix scope that I want to try but haven't yet. They include some telefunken and Amperex bugle boys.

I really enjoyed rolling some Mullard EL84's The stock tubes are excellent. Rolling simply allowed for a variety of tonalities. I am glad it is a winner for you as well!

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,600 of 2,115
  I take back what I said about the lucid modes recently, as I'm discovering some albums that really benefit from new lucid mode.  It generally doesn't work with busy music, but some folky stuff with a limited number of instruments can sound great with it on.  Right now I'm listening to the recent Calexico album and new lucid mode gives it a very pleasant forward presentation on the HD800s.  Doesn't sound 'weird' like it does on some albums.  

Another Head-fi'er from Amsterdam, nice to see. I read you had a hum issue with your Taboo, were you able to solve it?

Two months ago I heard an LCD-3 on a Bakoon HPA-21 and a Malvalve Head Amp Three. I was so impressed that I now am happy to have an LCD-3 in the house even though my amps are less than optimal for the LCD-3. So I made a short list of amps I might be able to afford, with a balanced output and sufficient power. The Taboo MKIII is on the top of my list, also because it is supposed to do great with an HD-800.

In a few weeks, when my LCD-3 has enough hours on it, I would love to hear it with an LCD-3 and I see you have one. Is it okay Kendoji to send you a PM?

Are there others who heard the combination of LCD-3 driven by Taboo MKIII?

cheers,
rudi

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,601 of 2,115

Are there others who heard the combination of LCD-3 driven by Taboo MKIII?

cheers,
rudi

Yes! I am also fortunate enough to have this pairing and am very very satisfied with the Taboo mk3 and LCD-3. Tweaking the tubes to personal preference, I find the pairing natural and effortless sounding with great spatial feel. I also have the CSP3, adding that to the chain takes away some transparency, adds a little color. Note weight and body are increased, as well as increased options for gain adjustments and tube rolling. The CSP3 alone with the right tubes is also not shabby at all with the LCD-3! Had I never heard the Taboo, the CSP3 on it's own would not disappoint. My preferences (for LCD) in order: CSP3+Taboo3 > Taboo3 > CSP3.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,603 of 2,115

Yes! I am also fortunate enough to have this pairing and am very very satisfied with the Taboo mk3 and LCD-3. Tweaking the tubes to personal preference, I find the pairing natural and effortless sounding with great spatial feel. I also have the CSP3, adding that to the chain takes away some transparency, adds a little color. Note weight and body are increased, as well as increased options for gain adjustments and tube rolling. The CSP3 alone with the right tubes is also not shabby at all with the LCD-3! Had I never heard the Taboo, the CSP3 on it's own would not disappoint. My preferences (for LCD) in order: CSP3+Taboo3 > Taboo3 > CSP3.

Thank you for your enthousiastic recommendation, that makes me wanting the Taboo even more.That this combinations works so well says a lot about the Taboo, because the LCD-3 is revealing  so much of the amp and source. Hopefully Kendoji is still reading this thread and let me hear his Taboo. Are there other Head-fi'ers in NL having a Taboo MK3?
However I suspect that even buying a Taboo unheard I would not go wrong. The option of upgrading later by adding a CSP3 and / or rolling tubes is a bonus. Does the Taboo on its own have a good grip on the low or deep end of the LCD-3 and still show all colours and details of the low notes?

cheers,
rudi

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,604 of 2,115
Yes, the Taboo alone has a very strong deep low-end. Better extension and slam than my previous Soloist.
And tube rolling continues to build on that. I'd swap the rectifier first for a 20-30$ RCA double D getter from the 1950s (plenty of them on eBay). This rectifier is ridiculously good for the money.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,605 of 2,115
Yes, in my opinion, to your question about the low end. Not anemic. It can be tweaked with tube choice to fatten or lean out the bottom.

The Taboo on it's own is fantastic with the LCD-3. I could happily live with that pairing alone. I consider adding the CSP3 as more of a different flavor, rather than a universal improvement. It adds some sonic advantages but at a slight loss of certain other areas. It's preference whether you will like it alone or with the pre. However, with both amps in the chain you can pick what you're in the mood for during a particular listening session. This is a HUGE advantage!

The only thing I can't recommend the taboo for is IEM/CIEM use. It's a bit too noisy in the background with very very sensitive drivers sitting right in your ear. Tube noise etc. Maybe it's the level of gain in the amps design? I guess if it's able to drive speakers well (Which it does) it has to give somewhere.

FWIW, the headphone out on the CSP is silent with IEM. sending the CSP signal to a small portable IEM amp works very well too for in ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back