The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #812 of 2,112
Quote:
I will cover that in review down the road but I thinks its unfair because the Wa5 is more than twice the price. its 4400.00 with the tubes I have in there.  

Yeah I was just curious if it was competitive so far above it's price point.

If I ever get another Woo amp it will be the WA5, that and I have never heard a 300b tube amp before.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #813 of 2,112
I think the taboo in its price category is an excellent amp but it cant compete with what the WA5 can do.  The power of the WA5 for planars with this  speaker model is much more powerful. It driving the HE6 without a hiccup and I mean no matter what kind of music I throw at it it just sail through the music. It also drives speakers better than the Mk 111 did in direct comparison with the Omega 3T but then again for the difference it price it should do that and it does.  Its also the 300B tubes. Direct heated triode tubes have a well deserved reputation for the sound quality. It is 10 Watts for speakers and the LCD2 and HE6 are getting the benefit of that speaker power through the xlr 4 pin layout and the other two switches for low and high impedance headphone makes this an amplifier that can drive anything.

That being said the Taboo is still an excellent amplifier in its price category and will compete with any amp up to 2K that I have heard. I liked my time with the Decware amps.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #814 of 2,112
^ This strikes me as a very fair summation Frank. Whilst my (at the time $1295 with VCAPs) Taboo II is the best LCD2 amp I've heard, I've been curious about amps like the Eddie Current Balancing Act. Evidently the WA5 should be added to the list.

Not sure I've got $4k of curiosity though :D

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #815 of 2,112
Quote:
^ This strikes me as a very fair summation Frank. Whilst my (at the time $1295 with VCAPs) Taboo II is the best LCD2 amp I've heard, I've been curious about amps like the Eddie Current Balancing Act. Evidently the WA5 should be added to the list.

Not sure I've got $4k of curiosity though
biggrin.gif

C'Mon Andre...Live a little!  
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #816 of 2,112
Evil one!!

Eric, be gone!! :p

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #817 of 2,112
Quote:

Not sure I've got $4k of curiosity though
biggrin.gif

The MK11 is an excellent amplifier and for that price makes it a real winner. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #818 of 2,112
Question for those on the board much more knowledgeable than I re the Taboo 3...

I got mine last week and love it but on many recordings I am not quite getting enough gain driving a pair of LCD 2s straight from a W4S DAC.  I am thinking I need to add a pre-amp but

1) I love the purse sound of the DAC straight into the Taboo  and
2) the build time for the Decware pre-amp will likely be 2+ months.

I saw an old Zen Triode Preamplifier Model SE84CSP on eBay I could buy but I don't know much about their older units.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on ideas in general, alternative preamps or a preamp  that they might be willing to sell.  Feel free to contact me through PM. 

Thanks very much.

Ian

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #819 of 2,112
Quote:
Question for those on the board much more knowledgeable than I re the Taboo 3...

I got mine last week and love it but on many recordings I am not quite getting enough gain driving a pair of LCD 2s straight from a W4S DAC.  I am thinking I need to add a pre-amp but

1) I love the purse sound of the DAC straight into the Taboo  and
2) the build time for the Decware pre-amp will likely be 2+ months.

I saw an old Zen Triode Preamplifier Model SE84CSP on eBay I could buy but I don't know much about their older units.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on ideas in general, alternative preamps or a preamp  that they might be willing to sell.  Feel free to contact me through PM. 

Thanks very much.

Ian

There is a "ZSTAGE" for sale in the Decware forums, but I think the seller requires that you pick it ut locally...

Have a look....   http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1371482037/7

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #820 of 2,112
Quote:
There is a "ZSTAGE" for sale in the Decware forums, but I think the seller requires that you pick it ut locally...

Have a look....   http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1371482037/7

That would be great if he would ship but it appears he won't.  I am in S. Florida so it would be kind of a hike to PA to pick up a gain stage.

I'd buy one of those from Decware if it didn't take sooooo long to get them built.  I guess that's the price they pay for success, LOL.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #821 of 2,112
I've been trying to call Decware for three days straight now, at least 10 times... but I only get the answering machine. Are they on a holiday, or do I need some secret "code" to get them to pick up the phone??? :wink:

I really want to talk to Steve about my Taboo order, but I might as well just ask it here.
I currently have a HE-500 and will buy some speakers in the 87-89dB range. My listening room is about 4m x 4m (13x13 feet). 

I want to use the amp to drive speakers as well, but I'm not confident a Taboo will do. It will certanly be great for headphones, but maybe not so good for speakers...
Lately I've been looking at the "integrated" SE34I.3 with a headphone jack as well, and last week the TORII MKIII caught my attension...

How will the SE34I.3 be with headphones and speakers, and how will the TORII MKIII be with headphones...
I'm hoping to have one amp to rule them all, but will I end up with a "Jack of all trades, master of none" in the SE34I.3, a poor headphone amp in the TORII MKIII, or should I just stick with the Taboo MKIII and buy a seperate speaker amp later????

I'm currenltly on page 4 on the waiting list, so I have to make a decision soon on what to have them build. Of course the TORII is also double the price, but I'm willing to take the hit if it excels in both.

Please help.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #822 of 2,112
I think they are short handed there--Sarah is on maternity leave,or,so I've been told by Devon..so..???
I'd e-mail Devon..

It is a holiday ..happy 4th.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #823 of 2,112
Quote:
I've been trying to call Decware for three days straight now, at least 10 times... but I only get the answering machine. Are they on a holiday, or do I need some secret "code" to get them to pick up the phone??? :wink:

I really want to talk to Steve about my Taboo order, but I might as well just ask it here.
I currently have a HE-500 and will buy some speakers in the 87-89dB range. My listening room is about 4m x 4m (13x13 feet). 

I want to use the amp to drive speakers as well, but I'm not confident a Taboo will do. It will certanly be great for headphones, but maybe not so good for speakers...
Lately I've been looking at the "integrated" SE34I.3 with a headphone jack as well, and last week the TORII MKIII caught my attension...

How will the SE34I.3 be with headphones and speakers, and how will the TORII MKIII be with headphones...
I'm hoping to have one amp to rule them all, but will I end up with a "Jack of all trades, master of none" in the SE34I.3, a poor headphone amp in the TORII MKIII, or should I just stick with the Taboo MKIII and buy a seperate speaker amp later????

I'm currenltly on page 4 on the waiting list, so I have to make a decision soon on what to have them build. Of course the TORII is also double the price, but I'm willing to take the hit if it excels in both.

Please help.

Teh Taboo Mk 111 will nto be good for speakers 87-89 DB un that size room or any room for that matter. The Mk 111 will work better with speakers that are 94DB or better =and in my opinion need the csp2  to smudging its best for speakers. I thought the Dare 2A3 8 watt integrated amp was better for the highly efficient Omega 3T. If the speakers you are using look at the recommended power rating from he speaker manufacturer. Most will bin those range woiil say 25W or more to drive them . I have never seen a speaker manufacture with a 89DB speaker recommend a 4.5 W amp to drive them properly.  Most Decware amps  are designed for 94DB and up and in my opinion the Mk 111 needs a preamp for speakers to sound best.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #824 of 2,112
Quote:
I think they are short handed there--Sarah is on maternity leave,or,so I've been told by Devon..so..???
I'd e-mail Devon..

It is a holiday ..happy 4th.

Yeah, I know it's independance day tomorrow, but do you usually take the days before and after off work? (In scandinavia it's common to do this, but I really thought you had to work a lot more than us. We have 5 weeks paid holiday, plus about 10 other paid national holidays...)

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #825 of 2,112
I suggested Devon,because I am waiting on delivery of my taboo,and it is ready to be shipped-she answered my e-mail instantly-TODAY
Not sure who works & doesn't work at Decware,on what days??
In this country ,we have a saying...."Good things come, to those who wait"...lol.

Sorry,don't know the Scandinavian translation
Hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back