The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #841 of 2,112
This is not too out of the ordinary.  I have excellent hearing and what I find average others find loud.  We all have different levels that are needed to release those endorphins.  

I had the Taboo MKII + DAC-2 + HE-500 and for some recordings, esp. hi rez tracks, I couldn't get the music loud enough.  For most recordings it wasn't bad but I always had the knob pinned close to the limit.  I never got around to using a pre-amp.  Now with the MKIII + more efficient TH-600 I have no problem reaching loud levels.  I will get around to trying the Amphora as a pre-amp into the Taboo.  

Quote:
No, I meant that I don't think there is anything wrong with the Taboo and I would have to wait until September for a Zstage if I ordered one now.

My hearing is just so/so these days so what seems not loud enough to me is likely loud enough for most people.  My 16YO son thinks its way loud enough.  Since the amp was just re-certified 2 weeks ago its probably fine.  This is the first time I've had a high end system without a preamp.  I've never run directly from a DAC to amp before this.  I sold my CJ preamp a few months ago because I was going headphone only and I didn't think I would need one...

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #842 of 2,112
Quote:
This is not too out of the ordinary.  I have excellent hearing and what I find average others find loud.  We all have different levels that are needed to release those endorphins.  

I had the Taboo MKII + DAC-2 + HE-500 and for some recordings, esp. hi rez tracks, I couldn't get the music loud enough.  For most recordings it wasn't bad but I always had the knob pinned close to the limit.  I never got around to using a pre-amp.  Now with the MKIII + more efficient TH-600 I have no problem reaching loud levels.  I will get around to trying the Amphora as a pre-amp into the Taboo.  

I also have the same issue
On almost all ,my classical music,I need to crank up the volume to around 1 o'clock.-older recordings
Everything else,I have it set to 10-11 o'clock,this is with the HD800/uber bifrost combo.

WNBC,what is this "Amphora" ,you are referring to?--do you have a link?

I'm seriously thinking about the Zstage.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #843 of 2,112
http://www.head-fi.org/t/423217/review-alo-audio-amphora-ss-headphone-amp

Amphora has a preamp section to it but I haven't utilized it yet so I can't speak to its quality.  As a headphone amp I love it.

All this talk of preamps is now getting me excited.  I've never really used a preamp but curious to know whether a SS or tube preamp is better with the Taboo.  Not sure about the Zstage.  I might just go all out for a CSP2+ 
wink.gif
.  Will be fun to experiment with different preamps I can find on Craigslist (McIntosh, Audio Research, vintage preamps, etc?).  

Quote:
I also have the same issue
On almost all ,my classical music,I need to crank up the volume to around 1 o'clock.-older recordings
Everything else,I have it set to 10-11 o'clock,this is with the HD800/uber bifrost combo.

WNBC,what is this "Amphora" ,you are referring to?--do you have a link?

I'm seriously thinking about the Zstage.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #844 of 2,112
Quote:
I know alot of you guys are using the CSP2+ as a preamp. Any other preamp recommendations for the taboo?

First time I have quoted myself 
tongue_smile.gif

My Dac outputs 2.5volts through RCA and I get very close to maxing out the volume on some records.

I would assume you would need voltage a little higher than that to more easily reach higher listening levels.

Any preamp will do that, not sure what dacs would go higher though.

Audio-gd will let you pick what voltage you need but they are the only company I know that does that.

This is assuming someone wanted to just use a Dac and not utilize a preamp.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #845 of 2,112
I will quote you now 
biggrin.gif

DACs with balanced outputs will easily put out 4-5V but not sure of how many unbalanced DACs would do so.

CSP2+ just showed up in the for sale forum.  The gods have heard our cries.

Quote:
First time I have quoted myself 
tongue_smile.gif

My Dac outputs 2.5volts through RCA and I get very close to maxing out the volume on some records.

I would assume you would need voltage a little higher than that to more easily reach higher listening levels.

Any preamp will do that, not sure what dacs would go higher though.

Audio-gd will let you pick what voltage you need but they are the only company I know that does that.

This is assuming someone wanted to just use a Dac and not utilize a preamp.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #846 of 2,112
Quote:

Amphora has a preamp section to it but I haven't utilized it yet so I can't speak to its quality.  As a headphone amp I love it.

All this talk of preamps is now getting me excited.  I've never really used a preamp but curious to know whether a SS or tube preamp is better with the Taboo.  Not sure about the Zstage.  I might just go all out for a CSP2+ 
wink.gif
.  Will be fun to experiment with different preamps I can find on Craigslist (McIntosh, Audio Research, vintage preamps, etc?).  

Don't you feel that a tube preamp ,might be a little bit too warm,or tubey??..{no pun intended}
Thanks for the Amphora link-

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #848 of 2,112
The combo is terrific and the CSP2+ does give added weight and MOAR! to the Taboo MK III.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #849 of 2,112
I opted for the CSP2+ and ZP3 for my system (still another month or so to wait, I think), but I find that in most cases I listen at around 8-10 (10-12 o'clock).  It starts getting pretty loud for me after that.

I'm a bit concerned that I'll have an overly tubey sounding setup too, but I've heard from a few, including Steve himself, that it'll be a great pairing.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #850 of 2,112
Quote:
Don't you feel that a tube preamp ,might be a little bit too warm,or tubey??..{no pun intended}
Thanks for the Amphora link-

I've been mulling over the same thing. I'm considering the Audio gd Master 1 since it will match my Dac but I haven't been able to find many reviews on it, at least not the newest model

Quote:
I will quote you now 
biggrin.gif

DACs with balanced outputs will easily put out 4-5V but not sure of how many unbalanced DACs would do so.

If only the Taboo had XLR inputs as well.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #851 of 2,112
Quote:

wink.gif

The Amphora looks very simliar to the Grado RA-1, I'm sure it sounds alot better though!

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #852 of 2,112
Quote:
I will quote you now 
biggrin.gif

Man,that csp2+,is a little on the pricey side
Isn't a new one $895.00
Oh-I get it,its for people who dont like to wait 12 weeks

I'll pass

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #854 of 2,112
That's me.  Not too big into waiting
tongue.gif

Consider the cost of trying different preamps then deciding on what I really wanted was the CSP2+ I don't see it as too bad of a price.  If one thought say $750-800 was a more price then I guess to me spending an extra $100-150 to not wait 12 weeks is worth it to me.  I can cut back on coffee and take the bus rather than pay for parking if I want to make up the difference. 
wink.gif
Everything in this hobby is justifiable.   
wink.gif

Quote:
Man,that csp2+,is a little on the pricey side
Isn't a new one $895.00
Oh-I get it,its for people who dont like to wait 12 weeks

I'll pass

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #855 of 2,112
Sarah tells me there will be a black chassis option for the CSP2+ soon. Depending on what your Taboo looks like, that might be a reason to get on the list instead of buying used. Some might find that to be a silly reason though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back