The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #63 of 2,112
Can't wait for the impressions to roll in yes.  I'm very satisfied with my mk2.  For those wondering why the price is so high, it's because all of the optional upgrades from the mk2 are standard on the mk3 if i'm not mistaken such as upgraded cryo treated caps and stepped attenuator.  The headphone jack for the taboo2 was also i think like 100 extra as well so yeah.  The price is not all that different for those wondering, it's just that those upgrades are now standard.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #64 of 2,112
Hey so q-cables do look nice, any opinion on dhc "triple threat" setup as opposed to q cables?

EDIT: oh yeah, link here - http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=37

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #65 of 2,112
Quote:
Hey so q-cables do look nice, any opinion on dhc "triple threat" setup as opposed to q cables?

DIT: oh yeah, link here - http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=37

they use a similar system to the q cable earring.  I have Q cable and I really like their newest design.  I think DHC would work just as well, it looks well crafted although the q cable solution for the hifiman connectors i think i prefer over anything i've seen before.  they did a nice job making sure the connectors dont have any issues unlike the previous Q model as well as the stock hifiman as well as many others because those connectors are hell.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #66 of 2,112
they use a similar system to the q cable earring.  I have Q cable and I really like their newest design.  I think DHC would work just as well, it looks well crafted although the q cable solution for the hifiman connectors i think i prefer over anything i've seen before.  they did a nice job making sure the connectors dont have any issues unlike the previous Q model as well as the stock hifiman as well as many others because those connectors are hell.

Doh, I meant to say "EDIT" there. So are the Q cables 100% OCC copper? I'm still using the stock cable on the HD800s and with the Taboo on the way I want to be prepared with the best XLR 4 pin cable I can afford (<$500).

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #68 of 2,112
Quote:
Can't wait for the impressions to roll in yes.  I'm very satisfied with my mk2.  For those wondering why the price is so high, it's because all of the optional upgrades from the mk2 are standard on the mk3 if i'm not mistaken such as upgraded cryo treated caps and stepped attenuator.  The headphone jack for the taboo2 was also i think like 100 extra as well so yeah.  The price is not all that different for those wondering, it's just that those upgrades are now standard.

This Taboo uses Jupitor caps which were different than the standard caps in the MK11. Steve told me these are an upgrade and they also have the XLR balanced inputs and the stepped attenuator so it fully loaded unless you want the V caps then it more money.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #69 of 2,112
The Taboo is starting to settle in a little. Steve told me two hundred hours of burn in required so I am not even close to it yet probably around 35 hrs and it sound very noce using the stock SV83 and a 5U4G Sylvania worth a Genelex 6922 in the driver section. The headphones are sounding nice. Very detailed . I will post some  early impression after 100 hr and then when I hit about 200 hours I should be more familiar with the amp and get the review up.  Promising

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #70 of 2,112
I'm curious what you guys think of this Wyred 4 Sound DAC compared to the Concero? http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/618197

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #71 of 2,112
Quote:
I'm curious what you guys think of this Wyred 4 Sound DAC compared to the Concero? http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/618197

I have never heard the Concero. Seems like a good value. I love the W4S DAC-2. I replaced my Cambridge Dac Magic Plus with it and I love the upgrade.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #72 of 2,112
Quote:
I have never heard the Concero. Seems like a good value. I love the W4S DAC-2. I replaced my Cambridge Dac Magic Plus with it and I love the upgrade.

At our little Dallas mini-meet on Sunday (thanks Nick Dangerous), I had the opportunity to listen to the Concero with the Taboo (mk 2), CSP2+, and my Liquid Glass.  I certainly beat the pants off my Modi, but that's not saying too much.  All I can really say is that if I only really used USB audio, the Concero would be one of the few DACs on my short list.  Computer audio isn't really in my top three most often used sources, so it won't ever be in my stable, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the hoards of Head-Fi'ers who use nothing but USB DACs (or at least use computers as their primary sources).  

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #73 of 2,112
Well, people keep telling me I need to replace the Bifrost to thoroughly use the Taboo, so I'm looking around. I use the Bifrost both ways actually, via s/pdif for my PC, and via USB on my Mac. Mostly I use it over USB though, but only because I haven't picked up a mini to slink cable for the Mac yet, the s/pdif input on the Bifrost is far superior to USB I think. I don't have any problems with it though, in general, it resolves to the point where I can hear putzes coughing and making chit chat in well recorded symphonies, separation and dynamics are great too, so thus far I'm not getting a really compelling reason to go from one $400 DAC to another other than minimal improvements.

I can see going to a phenomenally better DAC like a Sabre 9018 model but is the Bifrost vs a lower end Saber DAC that big?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #74 of 2,112
^ there's a lot of flux in dac land ATM. I can't decide whether they are truly getting significantly better at less cost, or we're just seeing more and more "me too" product. Amongst all these do seem to be real VFM dacs like Concero (which I haven't heard but I respect Nick's and project86's views). But I suspect they are few and far between.

Concerning bifrost, bushmaster, Meier stagedac and ee minimax - which I own - my view is to better them will need big $ (think PWD II or Invicta territory) or 'proven' vfm (Anedio D2).

My 2c worth or less!

(btw I did a lengthy review of three of my dacs in 2011. Fwiw, I did not find bifrost significantly outclassed on that occasion).

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #75 of 2,112
That Anedio DAC looks swell, thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back