The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #31 of 2,115
Guys, has anyone here tied the MKIIII with speakers ? I'm guessing something 90dB or higher, mild impedance curve ? 

Thanks,

estreeter

The Taboo had no trouble driving the Decware DM945's. The DM945's are 94db. We used the CSP2+ for the Pre amp. Good system! Very holographic as a near field monitor. I was sitting about 8 feet from the speakers and they were about 8 feet apart. I am likely to get a pair to go with my CSP2+ and Taboo as a small Man Cave system.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #33 of 2,115
This thing is pure Steampunk gorgeousness! Between that and the somewhat unusual design, it would have to turn the stomachs of the Cult of Objectivity. That only makes me want it more.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #36 of 2,115
Best is a relative term. It will sound its best with a $7000 DAC as well. You have to stop somewhere and I am sure that for the money the Taboo will hold its own against any Tube Amp out there in its price range and offers Lucid modes to boot. Just look at the CSP2 as an opportunity to tweak it in the future when you run out of toys to buy. I would imgagine, the CSP2+ probably would make just about any thing sound better, so don't hold that against the Taboo.

My question of no real significance is do you think the MK3 could drive the Tekton Pendragon with any authority as a stopgap until I could afford a Torii?

I saw that introductory offer on the ZU Soul MKII and got my brain going down another rabbit hole :)

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #37 of 2,115
Duckman, just for another point of reference, I have gone back to preferring the Taboo II - which has less gain than the III - without preamp. I find its power and dynamics more than enough and that it's simply more transparent.

That's with LCD2 r1. With (inefficient) speakers Taboo sounds better (fuller, weightier, more dynamic) with CSP2 included.

Of course, might be just me, or the particular tube-sets I've rolled with so far...I certainly can't dispute what Frank et al heard in their meet!

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #38 of 2,115
Quote:
I wish I didn't hear it mentioned that the Taboo III still 'requires' the CSP2 pre to sound its best. I'd be very keen if it sounded its best directly from my DAC.

Duck...You had a Stratus Dude??!!

I would love to compare the CSP2+, Taboo MK II or III both separate and together with the Stratus just to get some point of reference.

I am reaching, for me, the serious edge of diminishing returns. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #39 of 2,115
Quote:
Best is a relative term. It will sound its best with a $7000 DAC as well. You have to stop somewhere and I am sure that for the money the Taboo will hold its own against any Tube Amp out there in its price range and offers Lucid modes to boot. Just look at the CSP2 as an opportunity to tweak it in the future when you run out of toys to buy. I would imgagine, the CSP2+ probably would make just about any thing sound better, so don't hold that against the Taboo.

My question of no real significance is do you think the MK3 could drive the Tekton Pendragon with any authority as a stopgap until I could afford a Torii?

I saw that introductory offer on the ZU Soul MKII and got my brain going down another rabbit hole :)

+1... Individually they are excellent amps. The HD800's sound fantastic with either of them by themselves. Pairing them changes the sound signature. It is a YMMV situation with HP's. If you are going to drive speakers then the pair provides a fuller more solid experience. I would prefer them together with speakers.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #40 of 2,115
Quote:
I wish I didn't hear it mentioned that the Taboo III still 'requires' the CSP2 pre to sound its best. I'd be very keen if it sounded its best directly from my DAC.

It sound excellent on ots own/The csp2 if you have one adds more dynamics to it.  So for most they would be satisfied without adding the csp2 but if people decde to run a full system its noce to know you could add the preamp and improve the dynnaic bit many may prefer t standalone for headphone usage.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #41 of 2,115
Quote:

For the Pendragon or the Soul, the Taboo should be a fine stop-gap solution, especially if you don't have a large listening room.  For speakers with effeciency around 94dB and lower (like mine), the Taboo is really only suitable on it's own in small rooms or for near-field listening.  Now this is only with my experience with my Taboo mkII (which you'll hear later today), but there's not that much of a difference between the two models.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 2,115
Here are my listening impressions from yesterday's mini meet at Frank's:

1 - We compared the Taboo III with the Taboo II with 2 pairs of LCD-2.2.  The Taboo III is an improvement over the Taboo II.  It has more detail in the mids and slightly wider soundstage.  The vocals were more forward and the sound was a bit brighter.  The differences weren't huge but they were apparent.
2 - I wouldn't go out and buy a III if I owned a II, but if my favorite headphones are low impedance and I was looking for an amp I would seriously consider the III.  
3 - For high impedance cans the Taboo III is improved with the CSP2.  The is much more power, which there should be.
4 - With high impedance cans Glenn's OTL bested all the amps.  The Glenn OTL/T1 combination may have been my favorite and that is saying a lot since I love my LCD-3s.
5 - The Woo 6 SE is a fine sounding amp and is in the same league as the Taboos.

Questions?

Thanks to Frank for arranging all this.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #43 of 2,115
Thanks for the impressions, Dave. I wish I could have been in on the fun with you all!

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 2,115
Eric, find your way to the east coast and we will set something up.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 2,115
Quote:

5 - The Woo 6 SE is a fine sounding amp and is in the same league as the Taboos.

Questions?

Thanks to Frank for arranging all this.

Is there anything more you can add to the comparison of Woo 6 SE to the Taboo?  There aren't many that have had a chance to compare those 2 amps.  I will get a chance this coming weekend at SSI to hear the Woo 6 SE and 22 for use with my new LCD 3's, so would appreciate any comparison of tonality and dynamics between the 6 SE and Taboos, as that would give me a good point of reference that I will then be able to extrapolate by comparing the Woo 6 SE and 22 (along with other headphone amps that'll be there).  When I say tonality, I mean in terms of richness, depth of detail, soundstage, etc.  I'd expect similar overall frequency response between good amps - at this level, it's the texture/tone that changes - ie, not what notes it plays, but HOW it plays them.

Thanks for any insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back