The decline of drinking straight whiskey
Jan 29, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #31 of 70

I actually add a splash of sparkling mineral water. I find it really opens up the nose and adds nice sweetness to my beloved Scotches!

Yea, nice touch.  I too like the effect that sparkling water adds (to almost every kind of drink).  Try it in a Margarita and you'll be converted forever!

We use Perrier for that effect.  There are other options - San Pellegrino from Italy for example.  These waters are naturally carbonated and smooth.

Cheers!
RCB

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 70
Cheap, peaty and complex don't all live in the same house, but Bowmore Small Batch is probably the least expensive way I know to get your peat fix and have some money left over for, well whatever you want when you aren't buying more expensive whisky. A little, very little in this case, water makes it slightly more peaty for me, but if I were looking for affordability, I'd jettison peat pretty quickly. The affordable malts I like are straight down the, well, malt alley pretty much.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #36 of 70
  I typically drink peaty Scotch. Usually nothing to extravagant. I used to be big into Laphraoig and Lavagulin but have been drinking Ardbeg more recently. Would be interested in some recommendations for good bang for your buck peaty Scotches.

Hmm see if Bunnahabhain 12 (46%, natural colour, non chill filtered bottling) is relatively available/cheap in your area, it's only lightly peated though. They're a bit more off the road than the holy trinity you mentioned so you might find it for a decent price.

8.5 - Auchentoshan 1975
8.0 - Auchentoshan Valinch, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel
7.5 - Bunnahabhain 12, Glendronach Revival 15, Mortlach 22(indie)
7.0 - Aberlour a'bunadh, Ardbeg 10, Bruichladdich 10yo, Lagavulin 16
6.5 - Acnoc 12, Ardmore DE, Bruichladdich Octomore 5.1, Dalwhinnie 15, Highland Park 12, Hibiki 17, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig 18
6.0 - Caol Ila DE, Glenfarclas 105, Glenmorangie Original, Laphroaig 10, Macallan Sherry Oak 12, Yamazaki 12
5.0 - Auchentoshan Classic/Springwood, Caol Ila 12, Glenfiddich Solera 15yo, Macallan Fine Oak 12, Talisker 10
4.0 - Auchentoshan 11(indie), Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Talisker Storm

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #38 of 70
Very nice, guys. Thanks for the suggestions!

bavinck: My wife thinks peaty Scotch is the Devil's own creation, but I like it. I also like Black Metal? Coincidence? I think not!

I hear ya bro. A nice peaty Scotch and the new cloak of altering album is quite the experience.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 70
Decline of drinking straight whisky?
Not by me anyway and I know quite a few other people who like it neat.
Only a few drops of water, nothing more will be added.
Whisky works fine with relaxing music as well.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #41 of 70
I only ever drink straight whiskey, a small splash of water here or there if there is a cask strength involved. Best I've had so far was a Jameson 18 year, waitress looked at me really funny when I asked for it neat, actually walked away looking confused then came back to check my ID to make sure I was over 21.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 70

+

=

AWESOME!!!

Haven't heard the new CoA album but have the other earlier albums and the Seirom stuff. Have you listened to his Seirom output?

Go listen to manifestation right now. Some if the best (post?) black/symphonic metal I have heard.

Ardbeg 10 imo is the best taste/dollar of any peaty Scotch. My favourite whiskey.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #45 of 70

Well that is so not true.  even the Scots will add a bit of water.  Single Malt is as rich and variable as cognac.  a little water opens it right up. 
If not familiar with good Scotch, try a nice Speyside first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back