The decline of drinking straight whiskey
Jan 30, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 70
Been enjoying some rusty nails these cold nights.

Mmmm that sounds great.  Other variations also listed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Nail_(cocktail)

I really enjoy Drambuie on the rocks as an after-dinner drink.  Very interesting / complex flavour. 
Mixing it with a decent Scotch whisky seems like a win-win.

ps. Have you tried the Rusty Nail with a few drops of Perrier?  Just wondering ---

Cheers!
RCB

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #48 of 70
Mmmm that sounds great.  Other variations also listed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Nail_(cocktail)

I really enjoy Drambuie on the rocks as an after-dinner drink.  Very interesting / complex flavour. 
Mixing it with a decent Scotch whisky seems like a win-win.

ps. Have you tried the Rusty Nail with a few drops of Perrier?  Just wondering ---

Cheers!
RCB

According to the chart I have been making Donald Sutherland's not rusty nails:wink:

I have not tried it with Perrier but I will tonight! I added a couple drops of bitters last night, very intense flavouring.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #49 of 70
Just went out to dinner tonight and tried a rusty nail. Damn, that was way too sweet for me. Should've just asked for a straight-up Scotch!

BTW @bavinck, I'm continuing my journey through the latest CoA with MBP -> Groove -> Meze 99 Classics (just got them in for testing today). Man, Maurice mellowed it out for this album, or am I crazy?

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #50 of 70
Just went out to dinner tonight and tried a rusty nail. Damn, that was way too sweet for me. Should've just asked for a straight-up Scotch!

BTW @bavinck
, I'm continuing my journey through the latest CoA with MBP -> Groove -> Meze 99 Classics (just got them in for testing today). Man, Maurice mellowed it out for this album, or am I crazy?

Yes, it is more atmospheric than his previous stuff. That being said, how many albums try for that gloomy, Erie atmospheric sound and actually succeed?

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #51 of 70
Ya, rusty nail is sweet. I only like it now and then. Adding some lemon juice and/or bitters balances it put a bit.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #52 of 70
I really like j&b whiskey for cheap and good tasting. It has the sweet/peaty combo that I like about ardbeg. Not nearly the same level of peat, but it satisfies me without dipping into my ardbeg 10 every night.....

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #54 of 70
Thanks for the J&B recommend. Ardbeg is cheap for peaty single malt, but it's still not cheap.

And do check out Maurice's Seirom output for atmospherics!

What iem are you liking metal with these days?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #55 of 70
I'm using FLC8S a lot.

I was just testing LZ-A2, but the bass is just too much for me for most metal. Too much bloom for tight, fast kick drum action.

I've also got the Empire Ears demos in and have been enjoying Spartan, Hermes, and Zeus. Different sound sigs, but I really like that those three are highly sibilance-proof without sacrificing detail.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #56 of 70

BTW @bavinck, I'm continuing my journey through the latest CoA with MBP -> Groove -> Meze 99 Classics (just got them in for testing today). Man, Maurice mellowed it out for this album, or am I crazy?

Just a guess about calling a drink like that - not sure the mixologist knows exactly what to make.  For that drink, a drop or two of bitters might make it right.  Anything with Drambuie in it will be sweet - agree the J&B would mix well.  

That's why I don't order drinks like that out - too inconsistent, IMO.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #58 of 70
It was on their list, so I assumed they knew how to mix it properly. Tasted like it did have bitters. Just got it on a whim after reading about it in this thread.

Sorry dude, sad to hear you didn't like. I do like one once every week or so.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #60 of 70
Not a dislike per se. Just didn't know what expect and was hoping for something more bittersweet. I'd just mix it a bit differently myself to tone down the sweetness.

Have you had a Godfather? 2 parts blended Scotch + 1 part Amaretto. Tastes almost like a maraschino cherry.

Never had one. I'll mix one right now and check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back