The decline of drinking straight whiskey
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #16 of 70
In the spirit of informing, and really not wanting to be taken as a jerk, as a lover of whisky, but whiskey not that much, there is another distinction worth noting with a pretty easy mnemonic. Countries with an "e" in their name (America and Ireland) spell spell their product "whiskey/whiskeys" while those without (Canada, Japan, Scotland) spell it "whisky/whiskies."

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 70
Ardbeg, alpha primes and prog are amazing when mixed.....

I'll give you two of the three - never heard the Primes 
wink.gif
 Ardbeg is very nice. I remember about 15-20 years ago, a friend of mine bought a bottle of '76. Seemed expensive to me at around 100 quid back then, but if he hasn't opened it, maybe it's worth more now!

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 70
Great thread on a very important topic 
wink_face.gif

My personal prefernce is towards Scoth from Islay but just like IEM's/headphones the fascinating thing with Whisky to me is the never ending access to new vareities and the possiblility to find something really good within each segment of charachter.

Most of the time I prefer to have my Whisky  at room temperature with a small amount of still water in it. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 70
I used to drive whiskey straight as I thought that is what real whiskey drinker did. I was young :) Later in life I realized most good whiskey will open their flavours up with a little water added. Really, without a little water I found I was missing most of what I paid for!

Liquor store by my house is very large and has a Scotch manager. This guy goes to Scotland every year to see what's new and scope of deals and relationships. He is always around and willing to help people find a good Scotch for them. He always tells me the right way to drink whiskey is how you like it - it's your enjoyment!

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 70
I used to drive whiskey straight as I thought that is what real whiskey drinker did. I was young
smily_headphones1.gif
Later in life I realized most good whiskey will open their flavours up with a little water added. Really, without a little water I found I was missing most of what I paid for!

I've heard mixed opinions on that from the 'experts'. The guy who took us around Oban distillery was aghast at the idea of anyone adding water, but in other distilleries I went to, the opposite was said. I must admit, I've always drunk it straight - maybe I should try adding a little water!

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #23 of 70
I am a "water guy" also. About 10%. Knocks down the part that made my girldfriend's daughter say, "it smells as if it would taste like gasoline!" All whiskies I've had are actually more complex, and less offensive, with a slight bit of water. And I'm completely addicted to the Riedel single malt glass as my vessel of choice. I hate it when local bars serve whisky in a snifter.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 70

I've heard mixed opinions on that from the 'experts'. The guy who took us around Oban distillery was aghast at the idea of anyone adding water, but in other distilleries I went to, the opposite was said. I must admit, I've always drunk it straight - maybe I should try adding a little water!

Get some distilled water (if you are worried about minerals added, I just use tap water and we have hard water here) and add a drop. Then sip. Add another drop. Then sip. Add another drop. Then sip. And so on to get a feel for how any particular whiskey's character is changing with water. 

For me, regular strength I just poor generously and add an ice cube. Cast strength I add two or three ice cubes (but I do poor a generous amount). Generally, I will sip a bit before it melts, but wait for most of it for the ice cube to melt before drinking a lot. It's just how I like it!

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #25 of 70
I am a "water guy" also. About 10%. Knocks down the part that made my girldfriend's daughter say, "it smells as if it would taste like gasoline!" All whiskies I've had are actually more complex, and less offensive, with a slight bit of water. And I'm completely addicted to the Riedel single malt glass as my vessel of choice. I hate it when local bars serve whisky in a snifter.

I was drinking some ardbeg corryvreckan last weekend while playing with my kids. One by one they all said "what's that smell, it stinks!"

I had a good chuckle. It does stink, but oh boy does it taste good:)

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #26 of 70
Hi All,
An interesting thread, just found it.  Here's a bit of info about the spelling...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Here in middle Tennessee, there are certainly many folks drinking straight whiskey as in Jack Daniel's, and very often the excellent Kentucky bourbons that are plentiful here. The pour is often modded with a bit of high-quality water as described by @bavinck above.  Especially with barrel-proof or cask-strength (120-130 proof) the water is necessary and really opens up the aroma and flavor of the booze.  Highly recommended!

Personally, I enjoy the flavor of a good scotch whisky and bourbon, so I never mix with anything that would take away from the experience.  I do, however, sometimes use craft beers as chasers :).

Salute!
RCB

ps.  Y'all may be interested in this thread, as well...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432209/whisky-or-whiskey-fi/660

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 70
What?!? A thread on whisky and I just found out about it???

I loves me some whisky (and whiskey, too)!

I typically drink peaty Scotch. Usually nothing to extravagant. I used to be big into Laphraoig and Lavagulin but have been drinking Ardbeg more recently. Would be interested in some recommendations for good bang for your buck peaty Scotches.
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #29 of 70
  Someone who is serious about drinking single malt scotch whiskey would only ever add a few drops of water to their glass, if that. Then again, they're a different breed. 

Sometimes more than a few drops if all they drink is natural coloured non chill filtered single malts bottled at higher strength. 
tongue.gif

I actually add a splash of sparkling mineral water. I find it really opens up the nose and adds nice sweetness to my beloved Scotches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back