The decline of drinking straight whiskey
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days of the middle of the 20th century, the selection of alcohol was not like today. We didn't have the popularity of specialty craft beers, the wide expansive range of cocktails, variety of sake and even vodka was uncommon unless if you lived in Russia.

If you had a drink, it was more common to pour your whiskey in a glass like the old Cowboys and drink it straight. It's very common in the old black and white movies to have a scene where the main characters are having a drink and commonly, it was some type of whiskey in a glass.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 70
You do realize that there were TONS of very popular cocktails back then, right? Additionally, the lack of beer variety was only a thing in the US thanks to prohibition. I mean if you're mostly getting your cues about what life was like in the 50s from films...

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 70
I beg to differ.

http://www.foodmag.com.au/news/world-whisky-shortage-blamed-on-hipsters

cool.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 70
Good points. People still love straight whiskey today. But it is rare that you actually someone sipping whiskey at a bar. I have seen people do it but it's rare.

I agree Cocktails were popular back then. Later they declined in the 70s and 80s and now popular again.

Also, most people drink but if you tell them about drinking straight whiskey, you will get strange reactions. Many people are shocked by the idea of straight whiskey.

Whiskey is still very popular but it's more common with senior citizens. They usually mix it at home though.

The article about hiptsers is a good one but the number of hipsters is actually small. I'm a hipster so I know about this.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 70
But if there is a shortage of whiskey globally, a lot of it has to do with with the growth of population. Percentage wise, most people get freaked out by the thought of drinking straight whiskey. I stopped telling people that I drink straight whiskey because they think I'm crazy for doing this.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 70
But if there is a shortage of whiskey globally, a lot of it has to do with with the growth of population. Percentage wise, most people get freaked out by the thought of drinking straight whiskey. I stopped telling people that I drink straight whiskey because they think I'm crazy for doing this.

A lot of people do freak out about straight whisky regardless of type, whether American, Canadian, Scotch, etc. I've always liked whisky. I'm personally a fan of a good scotch and like it best it straight non-chilled without ice, if only good scotch wasn't so expensive. I have expensive tastes in alcohol, this does further prevent me from drinking much though. Some people think I'm weird in my age group for liking straight whisky.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 70
My step dad and his friends drink straight whiskey but I do feel that despite the popularity of whiskey like Jameson Irish whiskey for example it is considered to be strange by the majority, I also drink Scotch whiskey straight and I'm the only one who does this among my friends as the rest of my buddies drink craft beer which I like too.

Whiskey is still popular though especially in places like Japan which they commonly mix with soda water. I love Japanese scotch whiskey too but thats also expensive.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 70
The article about hiptsers is a good one but the number of hipsters is actually small. I'm a hipster so I know about this.

lol. I would never call myself a hipster, but that is the first hint that someone is a hipster
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 70

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 70
I often sit at a bar drinking Whiskey, but i do have it on the rocks most often, most think it's a sin but it's just my preference.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 70
Not to put too fine a point on it, but all whiskies called "scotch" must be made in Scotland. Japanese whiskies made in the style of scotch whiskies can be called "single malt" if they comply with that definition, but not "scotch." This is not to cast any aspersions on them, as there are some lovely ones; just to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back