The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #31,412 of 35,319
One of those is my return I’d wager. They worked fine with the stock cable, but the left side wouldn’t take my aftermarket cables.

I wonder if Hifiman's stock cables work as they designed in some "slop" into the cable connector knowing that the manufacturing might gap some connectors? Otherwise, I'd be surprised that the stock cable would fit.

Actually, that explains the comment on the headphone compatibility page for the cables I'm looking at getting for the HE6SE: "Hifiman Headphones please leave a message":
1612026722773.png
GUcraftsman 6n silver For Beyerdynamic T1 2nd elear STELLIA Elegia AT D5200 D7200 D9200 ANANDA Arya Headphone upgrade Cable|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

I chatted on AliExpress with the store about whether this was the correct cable for the Hifiman HE6SE, and he confirmed with a photo of the HE6SE that this was indeed the correct cable.

Perhaps this is a known issue with otherwise compatible cables with the HE6SE - the cable cup connector selected needs to "reach" further for the HE6SE.

I've had the same cup connector fitment problem with AudioTechnica and Sony headphones on occasion, I have to find a compatible plug with the right dimensions to fit and reach far enough into the slot.

Before I order I will chat again with the Store to ask about that fitment issue.

I am going to make sure the Adorama HE6SE ($699) that gets delivered early next week isn't DOA and deserves the nice ($158) upgrade cable :)
Code:
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

Also, I will need to decide based on what I am hearing, should I get a Silver-Plated OCC Copper, or a plain OCC Copper version of that cable:
GUcraftsman 6N OCC copper SW01 elear AT D7200 D5200 D9200 t1 t5p 2nd AK T5P HE1000SE HE6SE ANANDA Arya Headphone upgrade Cable|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

Either way, I will mention to them at the store that these cables need to fit the Hifiman HE6SE.
Thank you @CANiSLAYu for the details on the HE6SE cup connector socket fitment issue. :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #31,415 of 35,319
Bought these a week ago for $49.99 (NIB free shipping) from World Wide Stereo on Newegg.
They're at 54.99 right now...would pay more than that now that I've listened to them.

Yamaha EPH Black/Silver EPH-100 3.5mm to 6.3mm Connector - Newegg.com

Like them so far...fun with clarity and punchy bass; currently on Blues at Sunrise - Albert King & SRV...took a slight edge off of this CD which can be a harsher ride on some cans at higher volumes. Honestly, I've listened to a lot of SRV so far from the sublime Riviera Paradise to the driving Wham! and I'd keep these things just to listen to SRV.

Mostly listening to blues, rock, R&B, and jazz.

Really liking acoustic guitar and piano on these as well. Listening to Clapton Unplugged - Worried Life Blues was a treat.

Rock/Pop from the 60's forward -- CCR, The Doors, The Who, Allman Bros, Stones, Dire Straits, Van Halen, John Mayer, DMB, Zac Brown Band, Green Day, RHCP, Foo Fighters all good

Vocals are nice as well...Norah Jones, CSNY, Sinatra, JT, Amy Winehouse, etc...timbre, harmonies, timing are solid to my ears

Below are some reviews...hear them pretty close to ljokerl's description below but ymmv

Yamaha EPH-100 Review - Earphones — Audiophile On

[Review] Yamaha Eph-100sl Headphones (headphones100.com)

ljokerl said:
(2B16) Yamaha EPH-100SL

Reviewed June 2012

Details: Yamaha’s flagship in-ear, built around a dynamic microdriver
Current Price: $150 from amazon.com (MSRP: $199.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 104 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Bi-flange silicone tips (5 sizes), ¼” adapter, 6.5’ (2m) extension cable, and soft zippered carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The EPH-100 boasts a nozzle-mounted microdriver and sturdy machined-aluminum housings. The cable is average in thickness but well-relieved on housing entry and at the L-plug. Driver flex is nonexistent
Isolation (4.5/5) – Some of the best among all dynamic-driver earphones with the stock bi-flange tips
Microphonics (4/5) – Reasonable when worn cord-down; nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4.5/5) – Those with narrow ear canals may want to give these a pass due to the nozzle diameter but for everyone else the small, lightweight shells should be ergonomic and extremely unobtrusive. Stock eartips are surprisingly comfortable

Sound (8.9/10) – Taking Yamaha’s flagship spot away from the EPH-50, the EPH-100 utilizes a dynamic microdriver in a form factor much like that of Monster’s Miles Davis Trumpets. Like the Trumpets, the EPH-100 is an excellent all-rounder, but it is tuned differently from the mildly v-shaped Monsters. The bass is strong – deep and punchy, with a mild mid-bass lift giving it significantly more impact compared to most BA-based earphones and leaner dynamics such as the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX600. At the same time, the EPH-100 is far from overly bassy in the conventional sense – while not the most detailed or textured, its bass always remains clean and controlled. Like the Miles Davis Trumpet, which is a touch heavier on mid- and sub-bass in comparison, the EPH-100 is noticeably less boomy than Sennheiser’s IE7 and the older Miles Davis Tribute.

The mids of the EPH-100 are balanced very well with the low end – not recessed, but not quite forward. They are smooth, veil-free, dynamic, and more prominent compared to those of the slightly v-shaped Monster Trumpet. Clarity and detail are good and the note presentation is excellent – the EPH-100 is not overly thick or full-bodied but definitely cannot be called lean, either. The sound is very liquid but lacks a touch of crispness compared to the GR07 and many armature-based sets. The EPH-100 is what many would consider ‘musical’ - it sounds warmer, fuller, and more dynamic compared to sets such as the GR07 but is occasionally less adept at portraying fine details and texturing.

At the top the EPH-100 sounds somewhat smoothed-over compared to the more energetic Monster Miles Davis Trumpet, VSonic GR07, and JVC HA-FXT90, but also has the least potential for treble fatigue. Indeed, it’s difficult to imagine the treble of the Yamahas being overbearing for any listener. The downside is that it is not the most resolving – the highs are more refined than those of the Sennheiser IE7 but not as crisp and clean as those of the GR07. Top end extension is good, however, and the EPH-100 doesn’t lack air.

The presentation of the EPH-100 is befittingly well-rounded – soundstage size is above average, though it doesn’t quite keep up with the GR07 or Ultimate Ears TF10 in absolute width and out-of-the-head feel. Depth is good, as are the instrument separation and dynamics, which allow for better layering compared, for example, to the more flat- and distant-sounding GR07. At the same time, the EPH-100 is not as forward and intimate as the FXT90 and yet sounds open and uncongested, avoiding the more closed-in feel of many lower-end monitors.

Value (9.5/10) – Yamaha’s latest flagship makes a clean break from the company’s unremarkable lower-end models, offering up a comfortable, well-built, highly-isolating earphone in a compact, microdriver-based package. The sound quality is far above average as well, with strong bass, lush mids, and smooth – albeit slightly docile – treble. The EPH-100 is easily one of the best-sounding earphones – and one of the best overall packages - in its price class.

Pros: Great isolation; small and comfortable; smooth and dynamic sound
Cons: Nozzle-mounted driver not great for those with narrow ear canals

Big thanks to Gilly87 for the EPH-100 loan!

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #31,417 of 35,319
Wow. I didn't even know they were still being made.
Me neither...was going to purchase them a few years ago when they went from $200 to $100 but got sidetracked. Saw them for $50 and thought...why not?

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #31,418 of 35,319
Me neither...was going to purchase them a few years ago when they went from $200 to $100 but got sidetracked. Saw them for $50 and thought...why not?

How is the sub-bass on these?

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #31,419 of 35,319
Bought these a week ago for $49.99 (NIB free shipping) from World Wide Stereo on Newegg.
They're at 54.99 right now...would pay more than that now that I've listened to them.

Yamaha EPH Black/Silver EPH-100 3.5mm to 6.3mm Connector - Newegg.com

Like them so far...fun with clarity and punchy bass; currently on Blues at Sunrise - Albert King & SRV...took a slight edge off of this CD which can be a harsher ride on some cans at higher volumes. Honestly, I've listened to a lot of SRV so far from the sublime Riviera Paradise to the driving Wham! and I'd keep these things just to listen to SRV.

Mostly listening to blues, rock, R&B, and jazz.

Really liking acoustic guitar and piano on these as well. Listening to Clapton Unplugged - Worried Life Blues was a treat.

Rock/Pop from the 60's forward -- CCR, The Doors, The Who, Allman Bros, Stones, Dire Straits, Van Halen, John Mayer, DMB, Zac Brown Band, Green Day, RHCP, Foo Fighters all good

Vocals are nice as well...Norah Jones, CSNY, Sinatra, JT, Amy Winehouse, etc...timbre, harmonies, timing are solid to my ears

Below are some reviews...hear them pretty close to ljokerl's description below but ymmv

Yamaha EPH-100 Review - Earphones — Audiophile On

[Review] Yamaha Eph-100sl Headphones (headphones100.com)

ljokerl said:
(2B16) Yamaha EPH-100SL

Reviewed June 2012

Details: Yamaha’s flagship in-ear, built around a dynamic microdriver
Current Price: $150 from amazon.com (MSRP: $199.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 104 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Bi-flange silicone tips (5 sizes), ¼” adapter, 6.5’ (2m) extension cable, and soft zippered carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The EPH-100 boasts a nozzle-mounted microdriver and sturdy machined-aluminum housings. The cable is average in thickness but well-relieved on housing entry and at the L-plug. Driver flex is nonexistent
Isolation (4.5/5) – Some of the best among all dynamic-driver earphones with the stock bi-flange tips
Microphonics (4/5) – Reasonable when worn cord-down; nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4.5/5) – Those with narrow ear canals may want to give these a pass due to the nozzle diameter but for everyone else the small, lightweight shells should be ergonomic and extremely unobtrusive. Stock eartips are surprisingly comfortable

Sound (8.9/10) – Taking Yamaha’s flagship spot away from the EPH-50, the EPH-100 utilizes a dynamic microdriver in a form factor much like that of Monster’s Miles Davis Trumpets. Like the Trumpets, the EPH-100 is an excellent all-rounder, but it is tuned differently from the mildly v-shaped Monsters. The bass is strong – deep and punchy, with a mild mid-bass lift giving it significantly more impact compared to most BA-based earphones and leaner dynamics such as the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX600. At the same time, the EPH-100 is far from overly bassy in the conventional sense – while not the most detailed or textured, its bass always remains clean and controlled. Like the Miles Davis Trumpet, which is a touch heavier on mid- and sub-bass in comparison, the EPH-100 is noticeably less boomy than Sennheiser’s IE7 and the older Miles Davis Tribute.

The mids of the EPH-100 are balanced very well with the low end – not recessed, but not quite forward. They are smooth, veil-free, dynamic, and more prominent compared to those of the slightly v-shaped Monster Trumpet. Clarity and detail are good and the note presentation is excellent – the EPH-100 is not overly thick or full-bodied but definitely cannot be called lean, either. The sound is very liquid but lacks a touch of crispness compared to the GR07 and many armature-based sets. The EPH-100 is what many would consider ‘musical’ - it sounds warmer, fuller, and more dynamic compared to sets such as the GR07 but is occasionally less adept at portraying fine details and texturing.

At the top the EPH-100 sounds somewhat smoothed-over compared to the more energetic Monster Miles Davis Trumpet, VSonic GR07, and JVC HA-FXT90, but also has the least potential for treble fatigue. Indeed, it’s difficult to imagine the treble of the Yamahas being overbearing for any listener. The downside is that it is not the most resolving – the highs are more refined than those of the Sennheiser IE7 but not as crisp and clean as those of the GR07. Top end extension is good, however, and the EPH-100 doesn’t lack air.

The presentation of the EPH-100 is befittingly well-rounded – soundstage size is above average, though it doesn’t quite keep up with the GR07 or Ultimate Ears TF10 in absolute width and out-of-the-head feel. Depth is good, as are the instrument separation and dynamics, which allow for better layering compared, for example, to the more flat- and distant-sounding GR07. At the same time, the EPH-100 is not as forward and intimate as the FXT90 and yet sounds open and uncongested, avoiding the more closed-in feel of many lower-end monitors.

Value (9.5/10) – Yamaha’s latest flagship makes a clean break from the company’s unremarkable lower-end models, offering up a comfortable, well-built, highly-isolating earphone in a compact, microdriver-based package. The sound quality is far above average as well, with strong bass, lush mids, and smooth – albeit slightly docile – treble. The EPH-100 is easily one of the best-sounding earphones – and one of the best overall packages - in its price class.

Pros: Great isolation; small and comfortable; smooth and dynamic sound
Cons: Nozzle-mounted driver not great for those with narrow ear canals

Big thanks to Gilly87 for the EPH-100 loan!

I wonder how the eph100 compare to the Ety ER2SE?

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #31,420 of 35,319
Jan 31, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #31,422 of 35,319
How is the sub-bass on these?

Probably wrong person to ask...

However, the reviewers had some quotes that might be relevant.

"The lows - Bass here is very very nice it hits with a nice clean pop and sounds clean and effortless, you feel it can handle bassy genres very well and it shined beautifully on Infected Mushrooms Becoming Insane it thumps hard and clear but does not at all impact in the other areas, rather it compliments them. It is tame when it needs to be as well giving the feeling you getting the right amount for the song that was intended."

"Despite one or two downsides, I think these are amongst the best in-ear headphones on the market. The sound quality is simply too good to be true at times. I don’t know a lot of models that can produce bass this good in an in-ear format."

"Contrarily to the Etymotic HF5, the Eph-100s do provide punchy bass, and we believe that with all the hip-hop listeners out there at the moment, these will be the ones that will satisfy the most buyers."

For my music library...have listened to these and the bass is solid.

Acoustic Bass...plucked and bowed sounds great - Ray Brown - Round about midnight~Funky Blues; Eugene Wright (Brubeck) - African Times Suite; Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side

Electric Bass...all good! -- The Who - The Real Me, Boris the Spider, My Generation; Led Z - Dazed & Confused, The Lemon Song, Ramble On; Yes - Roundabout; Pink Floyd - Money; RHCP - Give it away; Green Day - Longview; Stevie Wonder - I Wish, Bill Withers - Lovely Day; EWF - Fantasy; Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow; Stanley Clarke - School Days; Marcus Miller - Power & Higher Ground; Victor Wooten - What you won't do for love & Victor's Jam

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #31,423 of 35,319
Last I heard these Yamaha EPH-100 was 5 years ago, and I still consider it as one of the most enjoyable bass I've ever heard to this day. At $50 it is definitely a steal.

The only issue back then was the build quality. Some had drivers that would suddenly stop working plus the cable is very thin.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #31,424 of 35,319
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #31,425 of 35,319

Users who are viewing this thread

Back