The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 11, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #25,396 of 35,333
Warning--a new batch of fraudulent Amazon third party sellers have shown up recently. All that I have seen are not listed as new sellers. Most have so-so or worse ratings. Many say they are selling upscale electronic products at $500. All request contact outside the Amazon messaging system.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #25,397 of 35,333
Hmm, for that price I might be willing to give it a second chance. I know I really don't need it, but it's tempting. At least if I did I wouldn't have an issue with being sent the wrong ear locks (both meant for the same ear) so maybe I'd have better luck getting a comfortable fit.
Do they have interchangeable cables? If so what connector is used on IEM?

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #25,398 of 35,333
Do they have interchangeable cables? If so what connector is used on IEM?

The Monolith M300 uses MMCX connectors. Presumably, it would be possible to use third party cables, although I can’t personally confirm that since I don’t have them yet.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #25,400 of 35,333
The Monolith M300 uses MMCX connectors. Presumably, it would be possible to use third party cables, although I can’t personally confirm that since I don’t have them yet.

They do use MMCX and do respond well to balanced cable upgrades. IMO, these do require a lot of EQ to get a neutral sound out of them, they're very, very dark without it, but fortunately they do EQ well and have beautiful, if slightly forward (+2dB), mids. From that perspective they've caught on to something, vocals are very lush. MY issue was getting a good set (must have been a terrible batch). These certainly would have benefitted from an iSine-style in-line DAC, to replace the need for EQ. IMO, these were half-baked and rushed out to market, but do have good qualities. For $99 they're a steal.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #25,403 of 35,333
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #25,405 of 35,333
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #25,406 of 35,333
What's so special about it?
What a special about a $40 phone ? OK let's start with the price, 2nd has a Micro SD card, 3rd run Android so you can stream from Spotity or Youtube if your cheap, i could keep going on why this is better then a DAP but i will end by saying the best part about having a separate phone for music is notification, even in mute every time i get a notification my music will drop in volume to let me know i have a message. A $1000 DAP and this $40 phone will sound the same connect to a Mojo your only using this to feed the Mojo

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #25,409 of 35,333
Deal on Cheap Highly Reviewed IEM + What is a deal anyway?

A few days ago I posted a link to a site that reviews budget Chinese IEMs and had created a ratings chart (sortable by rating score).

On my previous post I linked to some UiiSii Hi-805 phones that were highly rated in the chart and were then available for $6 shipped on Amazon (since sold out but available elsewhere for $20). To my ears they sound great, easily beating many IEMs that cost me $60-$150. They seem to me to be surprisingly well built, and fit well. I did have to use different tips than those included.

Possible bargain: Amazon through the original manufacturer has SEAF AWF-0009 selling for $9.81 which the chart rated significantly higher than the UiiSii Hi-805 I like so much. The SEAFs are about $15 shipped on eBay and the Chinese sites where you wait a month to receive them. So, a deal probably...but mine will arrive in a few days and I have not heard them yet.

BUT, after liking the UssSii Hi-805 so much some cognitive dissonance ensued. How can $10 IEM's sound so good? And, is 70% off an expensive but mediocre phone a better deal they paying list price for a $20 phone that sounds better?

Sean Olive, of Harman posts a chart they created testing IEMs comparing sound quality to price. They found NO correlation (in fact, there was a slight negative correlation). Link to an interview that discusses it (IEM discussion starts at about 40 minutes)

Discussion could go way off topic...including the impact of expectations on our evaluations/ double blind testing etc.) But the lesson for me is that when I look for a deal on excellent sound, do not dismiss all cheap IEMs and do not focus exclusively on discount percentage.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #25,410 of 35,333
Sean Olive, of Harman posts a chart they created testing IEMs comparing sound quality to price. They found NO correlation (in fact, there was a slight negative correlation). Link to an interview that discusses it (IEM discussion starts at about 40 minutes)

Discussion could go way off topic...including the impact of expectations on our evaluations/ double blind testing etc.) But the lesson for me is that when I look for a deal on excellent sound, do not dismiss all cheap IEMs and do not focus exclusively on discount percentage.

Not that I disagree, but I think it should be emphasized that this chart is not from listening tests, but shows the in-ears' measured frequency response deviation from the Harman target curve rather than "sound quality" - this is corroborated by their smaller sample actual listening tests and I guess is the general thrust of their target curve research, but the distinction is important.

Also, relevantly, the Carbo Tenore are finally back down to sane sub-$40 pricing https://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-ear-stereo-headphone-Tenore-ZH-DX200-CT/dp/B0093VVP0Q

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back