The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #25,216 of 35,332
Day 2 of True North Records' 12 days is now up. Murray McLauchlan - Love Can't Tell Time. Same deal is happening with this as last year both in terms of updates and the page saying you need to pay for the .flac version. Put the .flac version in the cart if that is the one you want and then go into the checkout and it should be displaying as 0.00 and no need to pay. Facebook and Twitter are both being slow with the updates of these going live, but if you have signed up for e-mails from True North Records, I've gotten 2 e-mails so far.

Second, there is a discount code available for 25% off that I noticed in the e-mail.

FREE DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOADS FROM DECEMBER 8–19
PLUS, USE DISCOUNT CODE SECRET25 TO GET 25% OFF ANY CD, VINYL OR DIGITAL ALBUM IN THE STORE!

From that I believe the code is active between Dec. 8-19. I tested it with a physical album and is indeed working.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #25,218 of 35,332
Jay's is offering the discontinued Windows remote version of the A-Jay's 5 for just $11.90 with $15 FedEx shipping to the USA. That's $27 to the USA. I'm not sure how good the savings to elsewhere would be. I ordered 12/6 at 6am and they arrived today 12/8 at 3pm. So if you don't use the remote or have an Android device per their website:

The Windows version also work with Android smartphones supporting 3-button remotes. The Windows pricing is a limited offer since this version is not in production anymore. Warranty terms apply as normal.

https://www.jaysheadphones.com/products/a-jays-five
They have very selected choices in shipping to countries. Doesn't include mine.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #25,219 of 35,332
Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #25,221 of 35,332
Day 3 of True North Records free album - Sass Jordan - Racine Revisited

This is strange as it takes you to Linus Entertainment, but if you sign up and register, you'll get the free album. Same deal on the .flac album. Says it costs money but just add it to the cart and in the checkout you'll see there is no cost.

Thank you greenkiwi for the reminder of Linn! I was trying to remember the other place that did free albums!

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #25,222 of 35,332
Didn't see it mentioned before, but Linn has their free x-mas albums:
http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas

You can go to the above link each day and get a different album.

That appears to be the same one we downloaded last year?

J.S. Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Bonus Tracks) (Dunedin Consort)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #25,223 of 35,332
Parrot Zik 3 - Bluetooth - multiple colors.
Reg $249.99
Sale: $137.49 with code ZIKSD45

https://www.parrot.com/us/audio/parrot-zik-3#parrot-zik-3

The wireless, hi-tech, stylish, ultra-intuitive audio headset
Resulting from collaboration with designer Philippe Starck, the Parrot Zik 3 headset is the latest addition to the range. It offers the best in sound and innovation, like its wireless charger, adaptive noise control, and proximity detector. Compatible with modern equipment such as smartwatches and induction charging stations (Qi), it offers multiple colours and materials. Add pop, rock, and more to your daily life!

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #25,227 of 35,332
This deal has apparently been around a good while, but not sure if it was shared here. If you have a .edu email address, you can register on unidays to get access to a discount at Samsung for microsd cards. Get the 128GB MicroSDXC EVO Plus (has the U3 rating) Memory Card w/ Adapter (2017 Model) for $29.99, the 64gb for $14.99, the 32gb for $9.99. Shipping is free, but they are charging tax.

To access this deal, go here on Unidays: https://www.myunidays.com/US/en-US/partners/samsung/access/online

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #25,228 of 35,332
Monoprice Retro with Brainwavz XL Pads Review & Deals

Headphones + Deals is arguably an oxymoron when you consider that the manufacturing cost of most headphones is rumored to be less than $30. Youtube's Zeos / Z-reviews just reviewed the combo of Monoprice Retro Over Ear Closed Phones + Brainwavz XL Round pads that sells for less than $50 total (including the $25 pads) so not bad even considering manufacturing cost.

I understand how Zeos is not universally admired and respected, but agree with him on these. I bought this combo a week ago and they are about as comfortable as you can get with a very engaging fun sound with huge bass quantity that does not bleed into the mids significantly. The huge pads with a low pressure band make comfort really excellent. My only complaint is that on some cuts the highs can be a strident, but to my old man ears on many cuts the brightness bump helps. The stock pads are hard and less deep. I think the Brianwavz XLs not only provide more comfort, but as their huge vinyl backs cover almost half of the outer cups, they probably dampen resonance too. Those who I have let hear them them have been surprised and ordered them. Everyone smiles, not everyone will make them a go to phone long term.

Deal Part:

- The Monoprice Retro Headphones are on sale on Monoprice for $16 + shipping (approx $8) cheaper than Amazon's price.

- the Brainwavz XL Round pads are cheaper on Amazon now than the Brainwavz Site both in PL ($24.50) and Lambskin ($39.50). Click link here.

- Also mentioned in the Zeos review are the apparently hard to find bargain Superlux HD-669s which are available on eBay for about $57 shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #25,229 of 35,332
Monoprice Retro with Brainwavz XL Pads Review & Deals

Headphones + Deals is arguably an oxymoron when you consider that the manufacturing cost of most headphones is rumored to be less than $30. Youtube's Zeos / Z-reviews just reviewed the combo of Monoprice Retro Over Ear Closed Phones + Brainwavz XL Round pads that sells for less than $50 total (including the $25 pads) so not bad even considering manufacturing cost.

I understand how Zeos is not universally admired and respected, but agree with him on these. I bought this combo a week ago and they are about as comfortable as you can get with a very engaging fun sound with huge bass quantity that does not bleed into the mids significantly. The huge pads with a low pressure band make comfort really excellent. My only complaint is that on some cuts the highs can be a strident, but to my old man ears on many cuts the brightness bump helps. The stock pads are hard and less deep. I think the Brianwavz XLs not only provide more comfort, but as their huge vinyl backs cover almost half of the outer cups, they probably dampen resonance too. Those who I have let hear them them have been surprised and ordered them. Everyone smiles, not everyone will make them a go to phone long term.

Deal Part:

- The Monoprice Retro Headphones are on sale on Monoprice for $16 + shipping (approx $8) cheaper than Amazon's price.

- the Brainwavz XL Round pads are cheaper on Amazon now than the Brainwavz Site both in PL ($24.50) and Lambskin ($39.50). Click link here.

- Also mentioned in the Zeos review are the apparently hard to find bargain Superlux HD-669s which are available on eBay for about $57 shipped.

+1 on the Monoprice Retro, I just ordered them last week and expecting them today or tomorrow.

But why not just use them with the stock pads? It will kill the bargain for me if I have to spend more than the cost of the headphones on pads! :D

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #25,230 of 35,332

Users who are viewing this thread

Back