The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 1, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #23,101 of 35,330
Fancy a really nice sounding pair of real wood American (albeit Chinese made) headphones with whopping 50mm drivers for less than $18?

Check these out: https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GC36502-WoodTones-Headphones-Smartphones/dp/B00DWGHTQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483298283&sr=8-1&keywords=griffin+woodtones

Worried about the supposed fragility (N.I.M.E.) buy a longer (standard 3.5mm) cable and use them at home or buy 4 or 5 pairs.

They are GRIFFIN' great !!!!

But why? spend $45 and you can get the CALs which im sure sound way better and my pair has lasted about 5 years now.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #23,102 of 35,330
But why? spend $45 and you can get the CALs which im sure sound way better and my pair has lasted about 5 years now.

A There is no wood used in their construction
Wood is nice

B They are more than twice as expensive

C I doubt very much that they sound better than the Woodtones. They have great natural tonality. Not the best headphone in the world but very enjoyable

D They are the most comfortable overear headphones I've tried

E I'm pretty confident my pair will last 5 years. I'll let you know circa 2020

F They have an easily replaceable cable

G They are so ridiculously cheap you'd be daft not to. $18, I thought £30 in the UK was cheap!!

Edit

And maybe they are just a bit less obvious?

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #23,103 of 35,330

A There is no wood used in their construction
Wood is nice

B They are more than twice as expensive

C I doubt very much that they sound better than the Woodtones. They have great natural tonality. Not the best headphone in the world but very enjoyable

D They are the most comfortable overear headphones I've tried

E I'm pretty confident my pair will last 5 years. I'll let you know circa 2020

F They have an easily replaceable cable

G They are so ridiculously cheap you'd be daft not to. $18, I thought £30 in the UK was cheap!!

Edit

And maybe they are just a bit less obvious?

Have no experience with them personally, but they are poorly reviewed on Amazon. There are almost an equal % of 1 & 2 star reviews as 4 & 5 star reviews.  If you want to take low ball gamble, this might be worth a shot in the dark.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #23,105 of 35,330
I own 2 pair of these Griffin phones and just bought my 3rd. At their M.S.R.P. of $99 there are better phones out their. At $18 or $25 these are a steal. They sound good, look great and are very comfortable. I wouldn't think twice about this purchase. If you don't like them you can gift them to a friend and still be ahead of the game.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #23,107 of 35,330
I bought them! For my mom..... Her Koss UR40 broke on the band and so she is need of some new 'phones... I found some really favorable reviews of these Woodtones, which apparently sold for $99 back in 2013 when they were released...

I figure at $18 it was worth a shot and I will get to evaluate them with my own ears when I visit Mom later this month. :)

I own 2 pair of these Griffin phones and just bought my 3rd. At their M.S.R.P. of $99 there are better phones out their. At $18 or $25 these are a steal. They sound good, look great and are very comfortable. I wouldn't think twice about this purchase. If you don't like them you can gift them to a friend and still be ahead of the game.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #23,109 of 35,330
I bought them! For my mom..... Her Koss UR40 broke on the band and so she is need of some new 'phones.

Don't forget, Koss has a lifetime warranty on all of their headphones. They've replaced many pairs of headphones for me, even when it's been obvious that it wasnt workmanship. Like the time my dog chewed the boom mic off my gaming headphones.

Of course, YMMV.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #23,110 of 35,330

Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium 1.5 Tesla Stereo Headphones - Bundle With iFi micro iDSD Black Label Edition - $1299

http://www.adorama.com/ftxth900mk2b.html?sdtid=9544452&emailprice=t

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #23,112 of 35,330
Right, and I plan to send them in, but shipping them alone will cost about half of what I paid for the Woodtones, and the Koss are in another city in any case, and that cost plus the cost of shipping my mom some headphones from my collection equals or exceeds the cost of the Woodtones. :)

Since the Griffin Woodtones are reputed to have some build issues and since they are very different in sound signature from the Koss UR40, I plan to still get them fixed and have them back to my mom... just much later. In the meantime, I'm hoping she likes the replacements.

Don't forget, Koss has a lifetime warranty on all of their headphones. They've replaced many pairs of headphones for me, even when it's been obvious that it wasnt workmanship. Like the time my dog chewed the boom mic off my gaming headphones.

Of course, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back