The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #23,071 of 35,328
Since the question was posed regarding the best price now that the Amazon.de deal is dead, I assumed a foreign buy was okay :)

In case of an issue, shipping to UK via USPS is roughly $16 if self paid.  I am not sure if Amazon UK offers reduced shipping prices for returns like they do in America though, if sent back during the return period. Also, that price doesn't include insurance. 

I have pondered on the US vs overseas purchase quite a few times, and often wonder just how much a local manufacturer's warranty is worth. It is hard to say an exact value. Does anyone know a loose back-of-the-hand calculation, like a warranty is worth 10% or the purchase price or something like that?

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #23,072 of 35,328
  Since the question was posed regarding the best price now that the Amazon.de deal is dead, I assumed a foreign buy was okay :)

In case of an issue, shipping to UK via USPS is roughly $16 if self paid.  I am not sure if Amazon UK offers reduced shipping prices for returns like they do in America though, if sent back during the return period. Also, that price doesn't include insurance. 

I have pondered on the US vs overseas purchase quite a few times, and often wonder just how much a local manufacturer's warranty is worth. It is hard to say an exact value. Does anyone know a loose back-of-the-hand calculation, like a warranty is worth 10% or the purchase price or something like that?

Well, I cant say for sure, But. To get a rough idea, For instance. If you get an LG V20 (smartphone) With US Warranty, It costs around $980 on ebay. and Without local warranty, for instance shipped from hongkong or uk, It can cost you anywhere from $680-830. 
So I'd say, having local warranty does boost value of the item by around 15-20% atleast. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #23,073 of 35,328

Well, I cant say for sure, But. To get a rough idea, For instance. If you get an LG V20 (smartphone) With US Warranty, It costs around $980 on ebay. and Without local warranty, for instance shipped from hongkong or uk, It can cost you anywhere from $680-830. 
So I'd say, having local warranty does boost value of the item by around 15-20% atleast. 

Thanks guys.  I usually don't worry about warranty issues with electronics much.  The warranty period is often just 1 or 2 years, and as an engineer, we see that electronics often fail at the beginning of their life (manufacturing defects), or towards the end (design life/component life expectancy), and usually not much in between.  Well, unless there has been some abuse or abnormal use, like people who don't take care of their earbuds and pull them by the cable or trip over them, etc.! 
wink.gif

I have been quite curious about the Chord Mojo with all the positive reviews and their own DAC and amp implementation.  But, also looks like Chord is introducing three new products soon.  Not sure if it's worth waiting. I waited to buy the Mojo from Amazon.de, and now look what happened...

Also, were there any duties shipped and delivered to the US when the Mojo was bought from Amazon.de/.uk?   I always thought that these were made in the UK.  Amazon.com (not UK or DE) told me there would be no duties, but I just want to be sure.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #23,074 of 35,328
Also, were there any duties shipped and delivered to the US when the Mojo was bought from Amazon.de/.uk?   I always thought that these were made in the UK.  Amazon.com (not UK or DE) told me there would be no duties, but I just want to be sure.

You should be able to import the Mojo from the EU without any customs charges.  Electronics can typically be imported duty free from the EU if the cost is less than $800. In practice, more expensive items often go through customs without a duty applied. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #23,075 of 35,328
For those who don't want a manual turntable, Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F Turntable + Ortofon 2M Red + Other Upgrades for $299 shipped:

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-turntable-ortofon-2m-red-upgrade

It has a built in phono pre-amp, but an upgrade is recommended to get the most from the 2M cartridge.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #23,076 of 35,328

Yes, That is a good deal. But the price difference between these two deals is around $35. 
But Locally bought mojo = Warranty Valid in the US. 
If something iffy happens to the one sourced from overseas, you'll have to send it back to the country of origin for warranty purposes. and you'd have to pay all the international shipping costs etc. $35 is not worth all that hassle IMO. but then again chord mojo isn't know for breaking down either. its just better to have local warranty. 

The difference is greater.  I bought my Mojo from Amazon.uk a few months ago at a great net price of $426, but it's even cheaper now :

399 pounds = $487 at today's rate.  Less 20% VAT is $389.62.  Shipping + $16 =~ $406.  If you have a Capital One credit card, pay in British Pounds and you'll get the present conversion rate with no transaction fees.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #23,079 of 35,328
Ebay has a $15 off $75 coupon that expires today 12/28 9PM Pacific time. It's a general coupon so it can be used on most anything they sell, I bought 2 sets of spare earpads for my X2 cans, had to buy 2 to hit the $75 minimum.

How to redeem your Coupon:
  • Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions.)
  • Pay for your item with PayPal by 9PM Pacific Time on December 28, 2016
  • Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: CDECFLASHSAVE

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2016/1228/flashcoupon.html?rmvSB=true

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #23,080 of 35,328
  Ebay has a $15 off $75 coupon that expires today 12/28 9PM Pacific time. It's a general coupon so it can be used on most anything they sell, I bought 2 sets of spare earpads for my X2 cans, had to buy 2 to hit the $75 minimum.

I can vouch for this deal, it's good for items just a bit over or close to $75 that don't go on sale often, to maximize your % savings. Can reach 20% off at $75.

They ran this same flash sale on Nov 27th and I used it, just completing my buy minutes before it ended. If there was time remaining would have posted it here.

Got lucky...bought my new Sony MDR-7506 thru Musician's Friend on ebay with paypal for a final shipped price of $64.99 using this flash sale discount.

Almost impossible to get them new less than this; Guitar Center was $60.03 with free SH back on Feb 13, 2016 sale.

Didn't want to pay much for these, as it is just for very limited use & they sound great (also like V6 too).

So, while most Sony authorized retailers are selling the real (not counterfeit) 7506 for $99, there are 3 or 4 sites getting as low as $79.99 regularly.

This same flash sale back in Nov timed perfectly when 7506 were at $79.99 (Musician's Friend and 2 other ebay sellers also) and I applied the $15 off to get them for $64.99 with free shipping.

MF is fast, had them in 3 days, and got a great deal.

Also grabbed a mint used Philips Fidelio X2 Massdrop version from a super head-fier here in a seperate private sale, to round out my holiday buys & only things needed this season.

Happy Camper.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #23,081 of 35,328

Tried it right now, sadly it only work for US and canada, sad life ..

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #23,084 of 35,328
Lots of people on ebay selling the 256gb micro sd cards they got for free with their Note 7s. Not hard to pick one up shipped from the US for $100. These are generally new unopened. Just make sure it's a US seller with a good reputation and make sure you are buying an Evo Plus model that is red in color.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #23,085 of 35,328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back