The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #22,411 of 35,343
I was a long time user of the original Porta Pro, is this version any better sounding?

AFAIK it's the same sound and design, but the Limited Edition comes with a microphone, volume control and hard carrying case.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #22,413 of 35,343
I recently got interested in speakers and after tons of massdrop lurking and research I ended up with a pair of Kanto Yumis. Not many reviews on these, but they're comparable to the Audioengine A5+.

The price has dropped significantly as of late and I managed to snag a pair of matte white for $212 from Amazon, MSRP $449. The prices vary from color to color, but nothing above $249. The Kanto YU5 is also going for cheap, around $279, on some sites.
I do wish there were more reviews out there. Especially comparisons with the Audioengines. Would you give a brief description of how they sound?

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #22,414 of 35,343
missed Earsonics SM64 @ massdrop, did not notice that drop was limited to 20 units :frowning2: 
So I am without any good iems and need an advise here, any info about planed discounts for black friday? I know that 64audio will have 20% discount, there is also a Vibro Labs Sera drop at massdrop for 360$ but its like buying something without knowing what to expect 

so any input would be appreciated 
cheers

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #22,415 of 35,343
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #22,416 of 35,343
Anyone know if Fostex products go on sale often? I'm hoping to score the TH610 since Massdrop isn't likely gonna being back the TH-X00 in the near future sadly. If they don't I might just jump on the HE400-i train for 249.99 while I still can. 

EMU-TEAK can be bought anytime. Many consider it to be the best of the Foster designs.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #22,417 of 35,343
  missed Earsonics SM64 @ massdrop, did not notice that drop was limited to 20 units :frowning2: 
So I am without any good iems and need an advise here, any info about planed discounts for black friday? I know that 64audio will have 20% discount, there is also a Vibro Labs Sera drop at massdrop for 360$ but its like buying something without knowing what to expect 

so any input would be appreciated 
cheers

You could buy ES2 or ES3 from Earsonics' website. They will also deduct VAT if you live in a non-EU country.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #22,418 of 35,343
I do wish there were more reviews out there. Especially comparisons with the Audioengines. Would you give a brief description of how they sound?

This was the review that put me over.

They're also on his recommendation list for 2.0 systems.

If you're not familiar with Z Reviews, he's very blunt about gear and is entertaining(or irritating) in how he voices his opinions. He heaps praise when it's warranted and criticizes openly when stuff is bad. He likes the Yumis, although he's never heard the Audioengines, and that's good enough for me. He's reviewed lots of budget, mid-tier and high-end gear, so I value his impressions. It helps to watch a few of his reviews to get a sense of where he's coming from.

As for my impressions, and keep in mind I have very little experience with speakers, is they sound warm, have nice sparkle in the treble, seem a bit midrange focused and, with good placement, have a wide soundstage, impressive imaging and nice depth. Coming from years of strict headphone use it took a little while to acclimate to the acoustic differences. Most noticeable for me was low end bottoming out on bass heavy songs. I had to add a subwoofer because I definitely felt some of the body in the music was lacking. And these get crazy loud!

PM me if you have any other questions so we don't OT this thread.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #22,420 of 35,343
Used to use my Porta Pros for biking, liked very much that they sounded good, and let me hear cars and other stuff coming at me...

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #22,421 of 35,343

You could buy ES2 or ES3 from Earsonics' website. They will also deduct VAT if you live in a non-EU country.

thanks for that !

now I will read reviews of ES3 as I have no idea how it sounds !

they will begin discount sales in 3 days so I better be prepared :wink:

cheers 

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #22,424 of 35,343
If you're not familiar with Z Reviews, he's very blunt about gear and is entertaining(or irritating) in how he voices his opinions.

He also records speakers and headphone for people to demo, which makes about as much sense as shopping for a TV by watching other TVs on one's TV or monitor. So whether or not he doesn't know enough about audio to know this a bad idea, or he just does it anyway to get good ratings, I wouldn't put more stock in what he says than any other testimonials you can find on a product. Just because someone can operate a camera and load videos to YouTube, that doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #22,425 of 35,343
Absolutely. I have almost exclusively used my HD600 for serious classical music listening for 10+ years now. You will need a decent amp, but they are fantastic for the price. the HD650, imo, aren't quite as good for classical, but are probably better for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back