The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #21,766 of 35,333
IMO, @KG Jag has gone out of their way to provide us with many deals that I'm sure many have found helpful.  So for better or worse, I'm willing to trust their judgement.  If you don't agree, you don't have to take advantage of the offer.

Also, it's not really up to any of us to decide if something doesn't belong here.  That's really more a job for the Moderators.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #21,767 of 35,333
Post #1 in this extension of the thread is entirely about the weather, so it appears topic rules have been lax from the start.  There is little reason to panic and build a wall that makes this topic great again.

The fact that the Schiit is an entirely new offering that had not previously been announced should be considered. The post was not just focused on "I like this". 

The day Henry Ford started selling his model T that blew away the previous price/performance/value paradigm a posting in the horseless carriage deal thread would not have been inappropriate.   At the very least the Jotunheim blows away the previous Schiitt value/performance paradigm. 

I may need more coffee but I cannot see the DAC in the Audio-Gd NFB1amp listed above (but its interesting and worth a look).

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #21,768 of 35,333
Certainly there are many definitions of the word "deal" and I believe that the entire purpose Head-fi is so that we all might be better educated as to find the MAXIMUM VALUE for our whatever our budgets allow. There are many generous members here who are happy to provide information to all those who have questions but I'm sure that this particular thread is, as Jozurr stated above, specifically designated for items being sold at a price below what they are normally sold for. 

If you'd like to start a new thread to address the products which a consensus might agree represent the greatest value at each price point, it could be popular but IMO it's a very broad topic and hard to pin down. 

Yeah...guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

If someone posts this 'deal' for the Musical Fidelity MX-HPA headphone amp for $699 ($300 off list) as a recommendation. Then I'd feel obligated to post this 'non-deal' for the Schiit Jotunheim at $399 ($0 off list) which, at a quick glance, seems to provide a much higher value at 57% of the price!

BTW...the earlier post quoted below would be something I'd want to see in response to an MX-HPA vs Jotunheim discussion; a helpful, high-value option (also non-discounted) but a better alternative (imo) than the MX-HPA. Given this scenario, I'd be evaluating pros & cons of the Schiit vs Audio-gd products and have eliminated the Musical Fidelity product as a serious option.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN_Specs.htm

Much more powerful than the Schiit and has a DAC. $520 which is about the same as the Schiit with a DAC.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #21,770 of 35,333
Just curious...do you KNOW that the Schitt amp sounds add good or better than the Musical Fidelity amp for a fact? If not, it may still be a "better buy", but some may prefer spending a bit more for better sound quality (I don't know how either sounds...). Sort of like comparing a list price Hugo and a discounted Mercedes, the Hugo is cheaper, but...

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #21,771 of 35,333
Absolutely not...for any of these amps. Obviously, that would be taken into account in the buying decision process...which might lead to questions about return policies, ease/cost of returning, past experience with other amps, delaying a purchase until reviews come out, etc.

Just to be clear, my comments have been regarding having more (not less) worthwhile information to make an informed decision NOT the defending of this particular Schiit amp. The Jotunheim post and subsequent faux-moderation comments simply were the genesis for my responses. In a nutshell, I'd rather have a little more (even 'too much') information than not enough. I'm capable of sifting through it, discarding what is not useful to me, and then making a decision. Just my perspective.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #21,772 of 35,333
I find it humorous that people are arguing about cluttering up the thread and in the process further cluttering up the thread. Lets all calm down here and chill out. I don't blame the guy for being excited about the Jotunheim so I can understand why he posted about it because of the perceived "deal" in comparison to the competition. But on the other side of the argument it technically isn't a "deal" cost wise in of itself. Lets all hug it out. 
deadhorse.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #21,773 of 35,333
Just a bit of history...there were originally a few "Deals" threads, which were closed by the Mods BECAUSE they went off topic in these ways, advice questions and discussions, then arguments about whether they belonged in a "Deals" thread. After closing a few of these for these reasons, the Mods came up with the "Deals DISCUSSION Thread", with the Discussion part being key. Discussion was OK, it was the reason for the thread. Advice was OK. As with most things, I suppose there is a limit how far you can stretch things, but the whole point was to make the thread more flexible.
My $0.02

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #21,775 of 35,333
Newegg via (ClassyU) (still?) has Grado Headphones on sale.  Discounts on many models are still very good, although perhaps not quite what they were a couple weeks ago.

Examples:

1. Grado SR60e Prestige Series Headphones $59.99 (was $79.99)
  2. Grado SR125e Prestige Series Headphones $105.99 (was $150.00)
  3. Grado SR225e Prestige Series Headphones $139.99 (was $200.00)
  4. Grado RS1e Reference Series Headphones $499.99 (was $695.99)
  5. Grado PS500e Professional Series Headphones $529.99 (was $595.99)

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #21,776 of 35,333
  Newegg via (ClassyU) (still?) has Grado Headphones on sale.  Discounts on many models are still very good, although perhaps not quite what they were a couple weeks ago.

Examples:

The prices seem to be the same. Any feedback on delivery from head-fiers who took advantage of the original offer?  (E.g., were the headphones damaged in any way?  Did they arrive in a timely fashion?)  Has it been determined whether they come with manufacturer's warranty?

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #21,777 of 35,333
eGlobalCentral is advertising the Sony XBA-A2 for $148.

https://www.eglobalcentral.com/s0ny-xba-a2-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones.html

That's about $75 below the going price. Anyone have any info on eGlobalCentral? I would like to pull the trigger on these.

Replying to myself is a bit messed up but who cares!

Anyone have experience or knowledge of another headphone person with eGlobal Central? Their price new on the A2 is less than the few pre-owned I have seen in the last year.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #21,778 of 35,333

Examples:

The prices seem to be the same. Any feedback on delivery from head-fiers who took advantage of the original offer?  (E.g., were the headphones damaged in any way?  Did they arrive in a timely fashion?)  Has it been determined whether they come with manufacturer's warranty?

Discounts on the GS & PS 1000e and PS 500e are significantly reduced from those of a few weeks ago.

I ordered the PS 500e (then for $450 before a small additional discount) and had no issues.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #21,779 of 35,333

Got 60 and 325 from the last sale. Quick delievery and no issues(packaging could have been better, but its just nitpicking). No idea about the warranty though

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #21,780 of 35,333
Hi everyone,

Save 10% on orders more than £200 with code BANK10 on audioaffair.co.uk. Offer valid until tomorrow 30th of August.

Great opportunity to purchase Focal Utopia or Abyss AB-1266 with 10% off. 

Damn, I wish that I would have some spare money right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back