The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #17,852 of 35,332
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #17,854 of 35,332
So seeing as the best portables of 2011 have dropped in price a lot lately, trying to decide on adding either the Amperior or DT1350 to my stable.  I see the 1350 for $140 and the Amperior at $90 (refurb).  Is this the lowest they've been?  Any suggestions between the two?  I have the V-moda M80 and the Logitech UE6000 but have found weaknesses with both.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #17,855 of 35,332
  So seeing as the best portables of 2011 have dropped in price a lot lately, trying to decide on adding either the Amperior or DT1350 to my stable.  I see the 1350 for $140 and the Amperior at $90 (refurb).  Is this the lowest they've been?  Any suggestions between the two?  I have the V-moda M80 and the Logitech UE6000 but have found weaknesses with both.

I have the Amperior refurb and they sound great. Machined aluminum cups for under $100? They are a no brainer. Almost everyone says the DT1350 sounds a little better, but I never tried them.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #17,856 of 35,332
If you're looking for a departure from the vmoda and ue and you happen to listen to music that benefits from clarity in the treble region (classical, well mastered albums, etc) go with the Beyer. It's less of a bargain than the amperior but I'm guessing the Senn will sound more like the vmoda and ue than the Beyer

The Buyers have quite a bit more clarity actually but at the expense of being less forgiving. The Beyers also stick out more, looks funny when i wore it. Also if you have long hair (as in flowing long hair) don't get the Beyer unless you're into getting your hair pulled when you take your phones off.

This is just imo and it might've been bad timing as I was in a clarity/classical phase at the time but the Sennheiser sounded veiled to me. Maybe I was under-amping it with my cell phone but the Beyer, despite having a higher ohm rating, sounded better driven as well as clarity (from my cell).

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #17,857 of 35,332
I'm finding diminishing returns on my project sunrise 3 compared to the Bravo Ocean which crazy considering the value on the garage 1217 amps. The lower bravo lines might be crap in build and sound but the ocean is very nice (for what it is) and a steal at that price. But don't expect to drive portables or your he6 with it, they'll over power anything made to be driven with portables/cell phones and you'll barely get movement on the volume before it gets too loud. Its unfortunate its stuck in a 30db gain and doesn't have a low gain switch. You could get a 150ohm head phone adapter to lessen the gain.

On the other hand when I plug my he560 into the Bravo ocean, I'm getting good sound up until I pass 85-90db, then clipping starts to happen. Luckily i listen at 70-75db, not concert levels :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #17,858 of 35,332
If you're looking for a departure from the vmoda and ue and you happen to listen to music that benefits from clarity in the treble region (classical, well mastered albums, etc) go with the Beyer. It's less of a bargain than the amperior but I'm guessing the Senn will sound more like the vmoda and ue than the Beyer

The Buyers have quite a bit more clarity actually but at the expense of being less forgiving. The Beyers also stick out more, looks funny when i wore it. Also if you have long hair (as in flowing long hair) don't get the Beyer unless you're into getting your hair pulled when you take your phones off.

This is just imo and it might've been bad timing as I was in a clarity/classical phase at the time but the Sennheiser sounded veiled to me. Maybe I was under-amping it with my cell phone but the Beyer, despite having a higher ohm rating, sounded better driven as well as clarity (from my cell).

Ha, that's sort of a deal-breaker for me.  That's the one nice thing about the M80-- they do slide off easily with snagging my hair.

The appeal of both comes from being able to drive them from my phone.  The UE6000 seem to lack some power from my S4, at least without the ANC turned on, and the M80 have a little bit of a similar problem, due to the poor isolation.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #17,859 of 35,332
Yea I had them awhile back when I had short hair and they were great. I'm trying to remember why I sold them that time but I think it was because the soundstage felt closed in..

I bought it a second time this year used because I wanted to try it again with better trained ears and they were great as I remembered except this time i had long hair down to my shoulders which gets caught. One time it was so bad the headphone was hanging from my hair because I gave up trying to untangle it. Had to go to the bathroom to look at the tangle and free it. Doesn't help with your hair tied back either. I'm convinced the dt1350 was designed by bald Germans.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #17,860 of 35,332
  I have the Amperior refurb and they sound great. Machined aluminum cups for under $100? They are a no brainer. Almost everyone says the DT1350 sounds a little better, but I never tried them.

Amperiors for $90? Yes, no brainer.

DT1350's sounding better? I'd say "different" but not necessarily better. Tyll at Innerfidelity sums it up nicely I think.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #17,861 of 35,332

I have both, and hear them similarly to Soundsgoodtome, though I like the Senns more than he does. The Beyers do detail more, more open sounding, think they don't quite hang together coherently as good as the Senns do, though, as I've gotten accustomed to them, gotten to like them more (I did a comparison on a thread here a long time back, with some other on ears thrown in). The Senns bass is great, and they have an overall presentation that is involving-the Beyers sometimes seem like you miss the forest for the trees. Having said that, I think they are both great portable on ears. They both are OK looking, won't get funny looks from the neighbors; the Senns are much more comfortable.
Here's the link to the comparison, though, in the 2 years since I wrote it, I've learned much about headphones don't hear things exactly as I did then :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694010/comparison-of-sennheiser-amperior-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-martin-logan-micros-90-and-yamaha-hph-200-or-how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #17,862 of 35,332
RE: DT:1350s and Amperior

You are getting lots of good advice on sound.  Be aware that both the Amperiors and DT-1350s have much higher head clamping force than the UE6000s or M80s (I am assuming in the case of the M-80s, that they are like my XS).

If you are clamp averse, you make not like either from a comfort standpoint.  

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #17,863 of 35,332
I have both, and hear them similarly to Soundsgoodtome, though I like the Senns more than he does. The Beyers do detail more, more open sounding, think they don't quite hang together coherently as good as the Senns do, though, as I've gotten accustomed to them, gotten to like them more (I did a comparison on a thread here a long time back, with some other on ears thrown in). The Senns bass is great, and they have an overall presentation that is involving-the Beyers sometimes seem like you miss the forest for the trees. Having said that, I think they are both great portable on ears. They both are OK looking, won't get funny looks from the neighbors; the Senns are much more comfortable.
Here's the link to the comparison, though, in the 2 years since I wrote it, I've learned much about headphones don't hear things exactly as I did then
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694010/comparison-of-sennheiser-amperior-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-martin-logan-micros-90-and-yamaha-hph-200-or-how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation

Yup, that was a good comparison thread doc! And yes, I find the Amperiors to be quite a bit more comfortable that the DT1350's were.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #17,864 of 35,332
  RE: DT:1350s and Amperior

You are getting lots of good advice on sound.  Be aware that both the Amperiors and DT-1350s have much higher head clamping force than the UE6000s or M80s (I am assuming in the case of the M-80s, that they are like my XS).

If you are clamp averse, you make not like either from a comfort standpoint.  

Hmm.  I have found that the M80 are a bit tight for me after a while.  I don't know if it's just being spoiled by the DT-990, but even the UE6000 get a bit uncomfortable after a while now.  I thought the UE6000 would be my last portable for a while (M80s were a no-brainer for $30 from the Shack), but I've become less impressed by them over time, in part due to their bulk and how low they play without the ANC.  Think I've ruled out the DT1350 due to my long hair and the price difference, so really it's just a question of if the Amperior will get me the balance of comfort, performance, and portability that I'm trying to strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back