The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Oct 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #17,836 of 35,319
  AKG K 511 for $15 with free shipping.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/akg/K+511.html

I'm a "big dreamer" but it would be bloody cool to be able to data-mine the knowledge on HF.  Example:

Alert me on deals for products mentioned in specific forum:

1. Best cheap headphones for modding
  2. Best IEM for SQ and working out
  3. Any of the Top 10 ranked in XXXXXXXX

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #17,839 of 35,319
I think the problem with the RE400 is the isolation. If it only isolated a little bit better, you wouldn't need to turn up the volume such mid...which leads to shouty mids. I'd like to hear the RE600 though. 

Nailed it. It's unfortunate hifiman made the housings like they are. Some spinfit tips and they sound fantastic. It's really odd fitting out of the box but if you can create a seal without inserting it too deep (spinfits) it sounds very good. They're not supposed to be bass boosted however, very controlled.

@rero +1 on wearing them cable up, otherwise microphonics are terrible. I'm on my 2nd pair of re400, well 3rd if you consider the warranty replacement on the first one. It seems this 3rd one might have more glue/adhesive right above the strain relief to better keep it in place.

This all begs the question, are the re600 better built? For $80 it's easy to say it still has value but at $160 sonix sale price for the 600 will it hold to ab/use.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #17,840 of 35,319
I think the RE-400 has good enough isolation with a good seal. It's about the same level as the HD25 with JVC spirals/SHE3590 tips. It's a bit awkward to properly put in your ear when cable down, but over ear configuration is optimal.

Though the strain reliefs and the cable is enough to make me not recommend them.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #17,841 of 35,319
Jet.com Koss Pro DJ 100 $38.68 with APPLE15 $15 dollar off code and waived return. Brings them down to popular low price for a solid headphone.

https://jet.com/product/Koss-Pro-DJ-100-Full-Size-Headphones/7ad98b3ecac448f9a1c8eb4f2d5a67f0

I'm sure there are other good deals with this code.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #17,843 of 35,319
  Jet.com Koss Pro DJ 100 $38.68 with APPLE15 $15 dollar off code and waived return. Brings them down to popular low price for a solid headphone.

https://jet.com/product/Koss-Pro-DJ-100-Full-Size-Headphones/7ad98b3ecac448f9a1c8eb4f2d5a67f0

Very good price on a solidly built phone, but not the right sound for me. 

The APPLE15 code is great for lower priced items, 20NOW gets 20% off better for larger items.  Both are for apparently new customers only.

Here's a good deal:  Bravo Audio Ocean tiny hot tube headphone amp, $100 before discount, $78 after 20NOW -  $120 on Amazon.  Good Amazon user reviews.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #17,844 of 35,319

Picked up the Tony Bennet edition (stop laughing) when they were on clearance at Tuesday Morning and they where my go to everyday portables for quite a long time. Held up extremely well but HUGE difference between amped and straight out from portable. And I was never a believer in break in until these cans. Wasn't impressed at all with low end on desktop DAC/AMP combo hence relegated to portable duty - happened to throw them back on desktop rig after a month or so and low end was clearly present. Pad breakin, workout sweat - don't know ...

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #17,846 of 35,319
Excellent deal on that bravo ocean. I've got mine and it plays extremely well with the hd650 and k612. It powers the he560 to 70-80db without distortions. It's a very powerful small footprint amp that doubles as a preamp.

This amp is a wonder at this price, made to drive 100-600ohm dynamic driver phones or semi efficient to non efficient planar magnetics. Stock tube is ok but spending another $25-$40 on a 12au7 usually brings great results.
Very good price on a solidly built phone, but not the right sound for me. 

The APPLE15 code is great for lower priced items, 20NOW gets 20% off better for larger items.  Both are for apparently new customers only.

Here's a good deal:  Bravo Audio Ocean tiny hot tube headphone amp, $100 before discount, $78 after 20NOW -  $120 on Amazon.  Good Amazon user reviews.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #17,847 of 35,319
Excellent deal on that bravo ocean. I've got mine and it plays extremely well with the hd650 and k612. It powers the he560 to 70-80db without distortions. It's a very powerful small footprint amp that doubles as a preamp.

This amp is a wonder at this price, made to drive 100-600ohm dynamic driver phones or semi efficient to non efficient planar magnetics. Stock tube is ok but spending another $25-$40 on a 12au7 usually brings great results.

ehhh...
http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2as6z5/bravo_ocean_tube_amp_to_suck_sibilance_out_of_dt/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2m3hz6/is_the_bravo_ocean_worth_buying/
There're better options out there.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #17,848 of 35,319
  ehhh...
http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2as6z5/bravo_ocean_tube_amp_to_suck_sibilance_out_of_dt/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2m3hz6/is_the_bravo_ocean_worth_buying/
There're better options out there.

It takes a bit of searching to find negative comments on the Ocean, but you certainly found 2.  I have no experience with the Ocean, not sure if you or the reddit posters have or not. I will soon with one on order.

But, your first reference reddit lost me with calling hybrid amps "fake", and then saying the Ocean's "ICs" do most of the work.  I have seen numerous naked photos of the ocean and see no ICs.  Please point them out to me if they are there.  

Using tubes for the pre-amp section and transistors for the power is a well respected design...(used by Schiit on some models, that the poster rates so highly).  Its one of the reasons the Ocean seems to handle mid impedance headphones quite well. 

Once again, I have no previous experience, but 90+% of the owner reviews have been similar to Soundsgoodtome's. Many of them are on Head-fi.  For $78 there is not a lot of risk. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #17,849 of 35,319
It takes a bit of searching to find negative comments on the Ocean, but you certainly found 2.  I have no experience with the Ocean, not sure if you or the reddit posters have or not. I will soon with one on order.

But, your first reference reddit lost me with calling hybrid amps "fake", and then saying the Ocean's "ICs" do most of the work.  I have seen numerous naked photos of the ocean and see no ICs.  Please point them out to me if they are there.  

Using tubes for the pre-amp section and transistors for the power is a well respected design...(used by Schiit on some models, that the poster rates so highly).  Its one of the reasons the Ocean seems to handle mid impedance headphones quite well. 

Once again, I have no previous experience, but 90+% of the owner reviews have been similar to Soundsgoodtome's. Many of them are on Head-fi.  For $78 there is not a lot of risk. 

Definitely agree with this...nice hybrid tube amp for the money and $78 is a deal!

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #17,850 of 35,319
Definitely agree with this...nice hybrid tube amp for the money and $78 is a deal!

It's good to be skeptical about any claims in audio.  in Tyll's recent Big Sound Shootout ,   he points out how surprised even he was at the small differences between amps, even those with differing typologies.

I just sent back 2 Schiit amps, an Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 because I could not hear, with my phones, much difference between them and the headphone amp in my Sony UDA-1.      

I do have a Bravo Audio Amp, an S-1 which is their only amp with an IC Op Amp instead of a tube. 

It does not sound better than my O2 or UDA-1, but it does sound significantly different - warmer, perhaps more melodious, but also less precise.      For the $60 I paid, that is enough, its a nice alternative.  I hope to get at least the same experience from the Ocean. 

(PS.....100 Posts!!  Yeah!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back