The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Oct 3, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #17,567 of 35,332
I got the A151 yesterday. Listened to it all day today. Sounds great at such a low price. I tried tip-rolling to get a bit more low end and found it works. Only thing is I don't have any that stays on the long, thin nozzle. Any suggestions on tips? Thanks

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #17,568 of 35,332
Sale at Earphone Solutions, including Phonak 022
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=398a532145216f74b00fc5d66&id=6b9ab53cd7&e=e233aa012e

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #17,570 of 35,332
I got the A151 yesterday. Listened to it all day today. Sounds great at such a low price. I tried tip-rolling to get a bit more low end and found it works. Only thing is I don't have any that stays on the long, thin nozzle. Any suggestions on tips? Thanks

Got my A151s yesterday. Had the same issue fit seal/fit mids and highs coming through clearly but the bass wasn't quite there the way it should be. In fact, the highs are just a tad hot to my taste...but only on some songs. The clarity and detail on these is incredible for the cost. Acoustic Jazz, Clapton unplugged, Norah Jones, etc. are spot on. Water of Love & Six Blade Knife by Dire Straits...oh my!

Tried the supplied tips; the Larges then the Dual Flanges which were a little better sounding to my ears. Can't do Triple Flanges so didn't try them.

So -- take the following with a grain of salt because IEM / Tip fit is so individual. I'm now listening to them with the Westone STAR Silicones (Orange for me). They fix the bass and have taken the edge off the treble very slightly (or it's not as noticeable because the bass is now where it should be).

NOW...Maria, Maria by Santana is thumpin'. The bowed and plucked Acoustic Bass on African Times Suite by the Dave Brubeck Quartet is beautuful!

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DD2BZRY

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #17,572 of 35,332
  I've experimented with different tips and have found the Comply T130 to be the best combination for the PFE012 or PFE022 (with grey filter). Don't know if the same tips might work for the A151 2nd Gen...no harm trying though​

Thanks. I have both of those too.  I meant with the A151 2nd Gen.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #17,574 of 35,332
I got the A151 yesterday. Listened to it all day today. Sounds great at such a low price. I tried tip-rolling to get a bit more low end and found it works. 

In our enthusiasm about a new deal/find we sometimes forget that there is no earphone perfect for everyone.

The A151's are a bit light in the bass, which is to be expected for a balanced armature iem.  Suits my tastes just fine, but I can see someone wanting a bit more, and in any case they are definitely not a good choice for bass-heads.   

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #17,575 of 35,332
Refurbished Monster HDMI cable for $4:
http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16886918063

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #17,576 of 35,332
Got my A151s yesterday. Had the same issue fit seal/fit mids and highs coming through clearly but the bass wasn't quite there the way it should be. In fact, the highs are just a tad hot to my taste...but only on some songs. The clarity and detail on these is incredible for the cost. Acoustic Jazz, Clapton unplugged, Norah Jones, etc. are spot on. Water of Love & Six Blade Knife by Dire Straits...oh my!

Tried the supplied tips; the Larges then the Dual Flanges which were a little better sounding to my ears. Can't do Triple Flanges so didn't try them.

So -- take the following with a grain of salt because IEM / Tip fit is so individual. I'm now listening to them with the Westone STAR Silicones (Orange for me). They fix the bass and have taken the edge off the treble very slightly (or it's not as noticeable because the bass is now where it should be).

NOW...Maria, Maria by Santana is thumpin'. The bowed and plucked Acoustic Bass on African Times Suite by the Dave Brubeck Quartet is beautuful!

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DD2BZRY

In our enthusiasm about a new deal/find we sometimes forget that there is no earphone perfect for everyone.

The A151's are a bit light in the bass, which is to be expected for a balanced armature iem.  Suits my tastes just fine, but I can see someone wanting a bit more, and in any case they are definitely not a good choice for bass-heads.   

Glad you mentioned the Westone star tips. I went ahead and bought the Westone ADV Beta for $39 from Buydig and use the extra tips for the A151. I have different size ear canals thus use different sized tips for each ear.

Having more size variations would mean that there has to be some combination that works. Thanks

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #17,577 of 35,332
MEE has been hitting it out of the park with $/value and sound sig's by the look of it.  I'm curious about the A151's.  I own a nice pair of UERM CIEM's but they're pretty sterile.  Good for travel as they isolate well and easy to carry.  They're made extremely well but boring for my taste.  My problem as they are supposed to be reference monitors....I should have gone for something like a JH Audio Roxeanne.  Likely won't get another CIEM as it is hard to justify the cost as little as I use them.

I'm wondering about these for a beater pair.  Don't need them, but I do like a warmer sound sig and a bit of thump down low.  Preferred headphones are Fostex TH900's and Stax SR-007A's.  Any opinions on whether they'll scratch the itch???

This thread...argh...LOL!

biggrin.gif

HS

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #17,578 of 35,332
For $10 I'm somewhat intrigued http://www.proaudiostar.com/landing/50-under-50/vestax-imx1.html

Adjustable sound knobs enable the air duct to open and close, to line tune the audio compression rate. When open, experience high motion live sounds with wide range and when closed enjoy a smoother side of high fidelity.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #17,580 of 35,332
MEE has been hitting it out of the park with $/value and sound sig's by the look of it.  I'm curious about the A151's.  I own a nice pair of UERM CIEM's but they're pretty sterile.  Good for travel as they isolate well and easy to carry.  They're made extremely well but boring for my taste.  My problem as they are supposed to be reference monitors....I should have gone for something like a JH Audio Roxeanne.  Likely won't get another CIEM as it is hard to justify the cost as little as I use them.

I'm wondering about these for a beater pair.  Don't need them, but I do like a warmer sound sig and a bit of thump down low.  Preferred headphones are Fostex TH900's and Stax SR-007A's.  Any opinions on whether they'll scratch the itch???

This thread...argh...LOL!

:D

HS

The bass in the A151 2nd gen is to the IEMs what the K701 is to full-sized open air headphones. It has maybe a teeny bit more bass reach. But the impact is just as lean or weak, or tight and controlled as the K701. You sound like you need a Dunu for a more plump, authoritative bass. The TITAN 1, which I recently purchased, has a bunch more of punch in this way. I believe the DN-2000J, which I personally have not demoed or own yet, would likely also be up to snuff and right up your alley in subterranean seismic fortitude. In fact, DN-2000J has been compared to the UERM in a review or two where it is said to comparatively have better impact and clarity. In the end, I am planning on getting the DN-2000J this Christmas because the Dunu sound is so perfect in technical proficiency and WOW factor for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back