The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jun 19, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #15,393 of 35,332
Is that a trend? I thought it was just a typo :xf_eek:

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #15,394 of 35,332
  I still don't understand the trend to refer to them as "vinyls".  Do these same folks call CDs polycarbonate laquers?

That's okay, I don't understand Twitter.  Kids these days!

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #15,396 of 35,332
What's a Twitter? I know tweeters...

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #15,397 of 35,332
  I still don't understand the trend to refer to them as "vinyls".  Do these same folks call CDs polycarbonate laquers?

I am apt to consider it a typo as the person used vinyl in the previous sentence.  Unfortunately, failure to use a spell checker or re-read for grammar, even in these casual forums can cause the poster to appear a bit dim witted 
biggrin.gif
, Just kidding.  I think, though it was an honest mistake and not hipster vernacular.

EDIT:

OOPS, perhaps I did not read back far enough in the thread to see where the original reference to vinyls was made.  Perhaps a person whose native tongue is not English.  Yes, that is probably the case.  

Similar to the folks here who refer to audio gears as the plural of gear or maths as the plural of math 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #15,399 of 35,332

For the same reason people noun verbs (see what I did there? :), say things like "send me the PowerPoint" or "send me the excel". People are lazy.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #15,400 of 35,332
Being an oldster, it strikes me as odd, too, but it is indeed an extremely common thing for youngsters to use 'vinyls' where I have always used 'records'. Odd, but not as odd as youngsters finding it crazy to learn that I have interest in a 'dedicated music player' like an iPod when they think they are extinct, having been replaced by the smartphone. Hakuna matada, everything old is new again, etc. 

I saw the Rock Jaw Acero is at an all time low of $25 / Prime shipping at Amazon.   http://www.amazon.com/ROCK-JAW-ATM12-001-ACERO-Headphone/dp/B00KHS8W82

Also there is a 33% off code on used 'physical media' at gohastings DADSRULE expires 6/21

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #15,401 of 35,332
  Being an oldster, it strikes me as odd, too, but it is indeed an extremely common thing for youngsters to use 'vinyls' where I have always used 'records'. Odd, but not as odd as youngsters finding it crazy to learn that I have interest in a 'dedicated music player' like an iPod when they think they are extinct, having been replaced by the smartphone. Hakuna matada, everything old is new again, etc. 

I saw the Rock Jaw Acero is at an all time low of $25 / Prime shipping at Amazon.   http://www.amazon.com/ROCK-JAW-ATM12-001-ACERO-Headphone/dp/B00KHS8W82

Also there is a 33% off code on used 'physical media' at gohastings DADSRULE expires 6/21

I think I need to dig out my turntable and show it to my teenage son what the 'vinyls' would sound like.

Regarding the Acero, I wouldn't recommend it. I bought it last year and felt it was poorly made and not even worth $25. I returned it.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #15,402 of 35,332
I think I need to dig out my turntable and show it to my teenage son what the 'vinyls' would sound like.

Regarding the Acero, I wouldn't recommend it. I bought it last year and felt it was poorly made and not even worth $25. I returned it.

A different take on the Rock Jaw Acero...

Keanex's review/thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/724225/review-rock-jaw-acero-a-closed-headphone-with-a-rather-airy-sound) suggests that these $25 cans have potential.

According to the thread, they have Ebony wood cups w/no damping (causing their bass issues) but otherwise solid sound..."I do think that a little damping may bring out that sub-bass. Other than that the driver seems to have rather low distortion and handle the frequencies it reaches rather nicely." The vendor saw the damping comments and agreed.

Since the Alfa Genus I just got for $30 are a great value, I figured it was worth a shot. I have some dampening foam...so we'll see!

If nothing else, I'll have a nice set of wood cups that hold 50mm drivers and removable cable for $25.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #15,403 of 35,332
A different take on the Rock Jaw Acero...

Keanex's review/thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/724225/review-rock-jaw-acero-a-closed-headphone-with-a-rather-airy-sound) suggests that these $25 cans have potential.

According to the thread, they have Ebony wood cups w/no damping (causing their bass issues) but otherwise solid sound..."I do think that a little damping may bring out that sub-bass. Other than that the driver seems to have rather low distortion and handle the frequencies it reaches rather nicely." The vendor saw the damping comments and agreed.

Since the Alfa Genus I just got for $30 are a great value, I figured it was worth a shot. I have some dampening foam...so we'll see!

If nothing else, I'll have a nice set of wood cups that hold 50mm drivers and removable cable for $25.

I read that review and all comments from the vendor and other members before I bought the Acero. The built quality was flimsy and cheap. The ear cups will not stay at the adjusted positions. The sound was so so. I was very disappointed because the product is not ready, there were so many flaws. But the vendor would let it out of the door for sales.  I was going to try the Alfa Genus but hesitated after the Acero experience.

Well, it's my opinion and it was very subjective. You may have a totally different experience. So enjoy.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #15,404 of 35,332
Yep, got a similar vibe from the thread -- some good components but overall it wasn't ready for prime-time. At $25, with a few mods, hoping to have a high-value set of cans when I'm done.

That'll all depend on whether the drivers have potential as the thread indicates. Should be able to fix the ear cup issue; if not will put a different headband assembly on them.

Worst case, the components are worth it to me...so no down side.

BTW, at $30, the AG's are worth it; am considering buying a second set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back