The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #13,096 of 35,332
Fostex makes active speakers?
I caught the last Massdrop on Chane bookshelves, those speakers sound pretty amazing (about $300)

Sure do, they're bookshelves like Audioengine A2s. There's a striking resemblance too... The Fostex PM0.4D is what I bought, bi-amped on each monitor. Decent sound for the money. Although I've always wondered about those Chane speakers with the planar tweeters. $300 a piece right?

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #13,097 of 35,332
You'd need an amp or a receiver. You'd want powered speakers if you want to jack directly into a phone.

I absolutely love these speakers! I have access to them back at my permanent home, albeit with a much better amplifier, and so fun. I hear the Lepai LP-2020A actually works pretty well with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_cp_e_0
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623550/amplifier-for-pioneer-sp-bs41-lr

I praised them in the very next post. I was just answering the guy's question. The lepai is the easiest hook-up solution for sure... If you can shell out the cash for a decent receiver, they can really shine.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #13,098 of 35,332
You'd need an amp or a receiver. You'd want powered speakers if you want to jack directly into a phone.

It's possible, there are guides on the net. It's pretty easy other than just buying the parts or pieces needed to make it functional. An amp is definitely needed, which run from 20 bucks and above, of course, quality is subjective depending on the price. Some amps have input port and you can use a regular 3.5mm audio cable and voila!

Of course, if you have a sound blaster x7. ...bookshelf speakers can be plugged in directly.

I totally want that X7!!!

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #13,100 of 35,332
Sure do, they're bookshelves like Audioengine A2s. There's a striking resemblance too... The Fostex PM0.4D is what I bought, bi-amped on each monitor. Decent sound for the money. Although I've always wondered about those Chane speakers with the planar tweeters. $300 a piece right?

Factory direct, $150 each plus shipping. I agree with HemiSam, VERY nice. Planar tweeters, split-gap woofers, so you have really nice sound in Mids and highs (and IMO impressive lows for a bookshelf too), and the imaging capability is unreal... In a good way. Better than I've heard home speakers before.

Watched Birdman with the fam, there's a part where Michael Keaton gets a little drunk and there's a guy yelling outside... As the camera pans around, it sounded like the guy was yelling from further to the side past my speakers! Imaging is unreal, in a good way!

I totally want that X7!!!

It's amazing, pricy but amazing value. The standard version doesn't have quite enough juice for the Chanes, but my Polk M40 sound surprisingly good. I'm actually going to try the X7 LE at some point with the Chanes and see how they match.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #13,101 of 35,332
I'm gonna regret posting this here instead of just buying it... 

Amazon Warehouse deals has a Beyerdynamic T1 up for $530. It's on the lower end of their grading scale, but still $530 with prime is pretty good if you're gonna use it.

Congrats, lucky person who gets there first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0031RD3YY?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

GONE 
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #13,105 of 35,332
The HE-500 is the previous, discontinued version of the HE-560?

I would consider them different as opposed to one replacing the other. The signature are fairly different as are the price points.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #13,106 of 35,332
I would consider them different as opposed to one replacing the other. The signature are fairly different as are the price points.

Sure, except it doesn't appear the HE-500 is being sold by the manufacturer anymore, hence the question. I'm in the market for a entry planar magnetic, but if this is just Amazon clearing old stock, might as well save up a bit more and get the EL-8, maybe.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #13,107 of 35,332
10% off at Headroom when you (re)sign up for their news letter.  Then check out the following (before discount):

The Cardas Clear Cable for HD800 10ft -1/4 - "B-STOCK" for $539:

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/Headphone-Replacement-Cable

The Hifiman EF-5 for $449:

http://www.headphone.com/collections/on-sale?page=2

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #13,108 of 35,332

Sure, except it doesn't appear the HE-500 is being sold by the manufacturer anymore, hence the question. I'm in the market for a entry planar magnetic, but if this is just Amazon clearing old stock, might as well save up a bit more and get the EL-8, maybe.

Probably not--doubt the EL-8 will be as good, both properly driven.  Many retailers have been clearing their stock of HE 500's in about the last 9 mos. to a year.  TTVJ did last week.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #13,110 of 35,332
B&O H6 Special Edition in blue £179.90, around half price of other editions Amazon UK ($685 on US Amazon !)

I'm sure this will have been mentioned already as the deal has been around for a few months now, and I have been tempted once or twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back