The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #11,281 of 35,332
[quote name="Soundsgoodtome" url="/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/11235#post_11183150"

Also, would anyone happen to have a voucher for TIDAL (lossless music streaming)? Thought I might luck out before signing on..
[/quote]

Hey, buddy! Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I asked them on Twitter if they do discounts for Headfi or Inner Fidelity readers. Ni response. I think a discount for Headfi users would be good for them.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #11,282 of 35,332
A college student discount like Spotify does would convert me. I usually can do 4/5 when I try the test, but the $15 difference between Spotify with the discount and Tidal is pretty significant.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #11,283 of 35,332
  I haven't read too deeply into either side, but I remember seeing that accusation then seeing this: http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2n1zj2/is_tidal_full_of_crap_manipulating_customers_to/ (the first comment)

According to the engineer in that thread who analyzed the samples, the accusations that they used EQ are baseless. Again I'll reiterate, the differences are tiny and anyone boasting otherwise is doing just that.

Yes, I've seen the link but I tested the files anyway. On every lossy vs. lossless file in their site I saw the same 1-2 dB attenuation on the lossy file using Audacity's spectrum analysis, and stv014 confirmed it with frequency response measurements of his own. There is definitely a difference not typical of lossy compression, whether Tidal intended it or not.

I don't have the files anymore to post screenshots of the spectrums, but you can read what I found on the first page of the thread I linked.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #11,284 of 35,332
  I've got my T90 for $250 tax in (brand new).
And T1 was below $700 at one point in 2014. but thanks for the info !

Where did you find the T90 for $250, prithee?

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #11,285 of 35,332
Not a "true" deal, but the sennheiser momentum OVER-ear is on amazon for $194.93 with Prime shipping. Ive never seen these this cheap on camelcamelcamel or anywhere else. it may be a semi-premenant type price drop though if sennheiser is announcing new headphones. Momentum over-ear MSRP was $350, price nowadays is usually $280ish I think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AZZNXOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420311134&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41PhwEt071L&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

6 left in stock

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #11,288 of 35,332
  I haven't read too deeply into either side, but I remember seeing that accusation then seeing this: http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2n1zj2/is_tidal_full_of_crap_manipulating_customers_to/ (the first comment)

According to the engineer in that thread who analyzed the samples, the accusations that they used EQ are baseless. Again I'll reiterate, the differences are tiny and anyone boasting otherwise is doing just that.

On that Head-fi thread about the Tidal test, the fact that someone took those tracks from a CD source or similar and converted them to FLAC as well as 320kbps (Vorbis or MP3?) and still found a 1db difference in some frequencies makes the argument of those Tidal test tracks being EQed somewhat invalid. The 3db difference they found on the lossy Tidal sample is significant but if you're saying that 1db can be accepted on a CD rip between lossless and lossy while 3db can't, well that's not very conclusive to say that Tidal "EQed" those tracks when converting between FLAC lossless and lossy MP3.

Is there a difference in treble when A/Bing in some of those tracks? It certainly seems like it, even on my Pioneer bookshelves speakers the difference in the treble can be heard.

Or may it could just be:

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #11,290 of 35,332
[quote name="Soundsgoodtome" url="/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/11235#post_11183150"

Also, would anyone happen to have a voucher for TIDAL (lossless music streaming)? Thought I might luck out before signing on..

Hey, buddy! Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I asked them on Twitter if they do discounts for Headfi or Inner Fidelity readers. Ni response. I think a discount for Headfi users would be good for them.[/quote]

That's like their only target audience, I don't know why they'd give a bigger or longer term discount than they're already offering. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #11,291 of 35,332
  That's like their only target audience, I don't know why they'd give a bigger or longer term discount than they're already offering. 

Because they're asking for x2 a tried and true service of Spotify? Many who are content with the service at the cost. Is an extra $120/year worth the extra bit? What about when you use Spotify for most modern poorly mastered music and buy CDs of the good ones? Specially when you get to keep said music instead of all of going out the door the minute you end subscription?

This is a few things a potential customer asks themselves (I know I am). If they gave a month free like Spotify did, I might give it a go. A week isn't enough time to really get a feel of all the features and hear their catalog.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #11,293 of 35,332
Idk. I a/b both services. I'm not hearing the extra $10 a month. I'm sticking with Spotify. Imo , Spotify sounds more engaging.
Because they're asking for x2 a tried and true service of Spotify? Many who are content with the service at the cost. Is an extra $120/year worth the extra bit? What about when you use Spotify for most modern poorly mastered music and buy CDs of the good ones? Specially when you get to keep said music instead of all of going out the door the minute you end subscription?

This is a few things a potential customer asks themselves (I know I am). If they gave a month free like Spotify did, I might give it a go. A week isn't enough time to really get a feel of all the features and hear their catalog.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #11,294 of 35,332
Vminnovations has the Sennheiser Momentum over ear (brown, "new - open box") for $130 shipped after code HAJTF4YP

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_61277/Sennheiser-Momentum-Closed-Over-Ear-Headphone-Brown.html
I'm not sure if the code is good for the other colors.

They also have the Momentum on-ears (various colors "new-open box") for $75 shipped.
Need to use codes
Green,  $74.99 w/ Code: "A8KRSW5"
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_64902/Sennheiser-Momentum-Closed-On-Ear-Headphones-w-Case-Green.html

Pink,  $74.99 w/ Code: "8WMWK"
Ivory,  $74.99 w/ Code: "AA4XS3"

Happy new year!

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #11,295 of 35,332
Not a "true" deal, but the sennheiser momentum OVER-ear is on amazon for $194.93 with Prime shipping. Ive never seen these this cheap on camelcamelcamel or anywhere else. it may be a semi-premenant type price drop though if sennheiser is announcing new headphones. Momentum over-ear MSRP was $350, price nowadays is usually $280ish I think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AZZNXOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420311134&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41PhwEt071L&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

6 left in stock

169.99 during Black fFriday on amazon and even 150 during cyber monday/week at another website.

I got them about a month ago on amazon for 125 like new open box....which still look new to me, even the microphone still had its plastic on, as well as part of the ear cups.

Im sure there are better deals in the Used section or from 3rd party

Users who are viewing this thread

Back