The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #8,417 of 35,328

Guess now I really do have to do an A/B of the two and post my personal results.  I suspect my tastes will lean more towards the HD700 (I like my Q701 and HE-4 sparkle!) but we will see.  I have a warm DAC/Amp so that may skew my results... when I listened to the warm Mad Dogs thru my warm setup, it was too much for pretty much anything but intimate jazz.

The HD 650 and HD 700 have very different signatures which I found actually complimented each other quite well depending on my mood/listening tastes. The prices on these sales really could warrant owning both IMO, because I did for a long time.

Though I suspect I won't really need the HD 700 once the HD 800 gets here, the price was just way too good and they are insanely comfortable haha

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8,418 of 35,328
  The HD 650 and HD 700 have very different signatures which I found actually complimented each other quite well depending on my mood/listening tastes. The prices on these sales really could warrant owning both IMO, because I did for a long time.

Though I suspect I won't really need the HD 700 once the HD 800 gets here, the price was just way too good and they are insanely comfortable haha

I've never been a fan of the idea of having multiple headphones for multiple moods.  But MAYBE if I can use the HD700 for gaming, I can get rid of the Q701 and not tell my wife the price difference between the two.  lol

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #8,419 of 35,328

I've never been a fan of the idea of having multiple headphones for multiple moods.  But MAYBE if I can use the HD700 for gaming, I can get rid of the Q701 and not tell my wife the price difference between the two.  lol

You're never going to get a headphone that is going to be better suieted for every single genre that you listen to.

You may get real close, you may get an all-rounder that you love, but that doesn't mean that particular headphone is going to sound good with everything.

The HD650 is a terrific all-rounder. But will it play hard hitting, sub-bass, and impact explosive games/music, like the beyerdynamic dt770 or dt990 line? Absolutely not.

That's why generally, you want to get 2 headphones that compliment each other so well, so that if one genre doesn't sound good on one can, just pop in the other headphone, and you're good to go.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #8,421 of 35,328
The HD 800s are in Like New coniditon for $1275 on outlet, if they come back in stock and can apply the 35% off coupon. I'm returning my hd 650s and paying for the HD 800. $830 for open box hd 800s is crazy good

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #8,422 of 35,328
You're never going to get a headphone that is going to be better suieted for every single genre that you listen to.

You may get real close, you may get an all-rounder that you love, but that doesn't mean that particular headphone is going to sound good with everything.

The HD650 is a terrific all-rounder. But will it play hard hitting, sub-bass, and impact explosive games/music, like the beyerdynamic dt770 or dt990 line? Absolutely not.

That's why generally, you want to get 2 headphones that compliment each other so well, so that if one genre doesn't sound good on one can, just pop in the other headphone, and you're good to go

For me I need more then just two. One close for traveling out of town, one for movies, one for music without amp, one high end for music with amp, one bass heavy just because you have to have one. Now the problem is money :cry:

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #8,423 of 35,328
Thank goodness I missed the crack frenzy this afternoon.  First time I can recall ever saying this....meetings FTW!

biggrin.gif

HS

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #8,424 of 35,328
OJdaJuiceman
Mine is sitting in my cart, expires in 3 minutes. Probably not going to go for it. :frowning2:   Nevermind, just remembered that the waitlist is a thing.

Thanks for the heads up, I may have picked up the HD650's deal from your cart

feast6

I just ordered Schiit Magni and Modi combo for my HD-650's.I've read in reviews where the Magni's considerable output works well with the HD-650's rather high impedance rating,their reasonably priced too at $99 apiece.

HariBhushan

The HD650 is a legendary headphone.

The main flaw of this headphone is the some-what mid-bass hump and bass texture(bass roar, sub-bass, explosive explosions, etc..) that isn't as jaw droppingly good, like it is on phones such as the DT990's.

The HD650 needs amp like in the Woo Audio 3 type of range for it to shine. It works pretty decent on cheaper OTL tube amps like the little dot mk 3, but like i said, you need more power.

I never heard the HD600's in my entire life, but i truly do believe that HD600>HD650.

The main reason is if you take the bass out of the equation and start getting more transparency and more neutral type of sounding, that the hd600 is what you will come up with.

I truly do think that the day i listen to the HD600's, that these legendary HD650's will be going up for sale.

Thank you both that's where I'll start my search. I want to get optimal performance on the cheap, or stay under Mjolnir budget range. I could make the balanced cables if I have to go that far.

Time to research , I know this thread is for posting deals so off to research how to get the most from these. I dig BA IEM's inner detail and quick attack so hopefully I can retain some of that too.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #8,425 of 35,328
  I think the planar magnetics always go for the all-rounder niche more than the other types. They go for the bass extension, soundstage, transparency etc. in most cases. 

+1 to this. He4 and modded t50s are awesome all arounders. But theres something also special about 650s, wish i had cash to put down on 650 or 700s. I almost bit, had to hold myself back until i see an x1/x3/x5 deal. Crossing my fingers

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #8,426 of 35,328
The HE4 is an awesome all-arounder for sure, a bit of simple mods and you're enjoying an HD800-lite for less than half the price. Only downside is the soundstage leave a little to be desired, not drastic but it's not HE560 or HD800-esque. The HE560 is like a musical HD800. So yea, the planar magnetic route IMO is the way to go for top shelf headphones. +1

The HD800 with 30% is very nice. Even better if you have a rig that will already play nice, otherwise some gear matching is to be done. The HE560 plays well with a lot of setups making it a more reasonable upgrade to most going from mid-fi equipment. All IMO of course

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #8,427 of 35,328
Picked up a pair of 600's earlier. Now I need to find some good iems, I currently use eph100's , TDK ba200 & re400's with a fiio e07k amp but I want more detail , any suggestions for under 200$? What about gr07 classic?

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #8,429 of 35,328
Picked up a pair of 600's earlier. Now I need to find some good iems, I currently use eph100's , TDK ba200 & re400's with a fiio e07k amp but I want more detail , any suggestions for under 200$? What about gr07 classic?

The Have B6 is coming out next month, suppose to be an improvement over the Have B3 which IMO is quite amazing at $65. There's a lot of good praises for the Fidue A83 as well over on it's thread. It's on sale for $279 but could possibly go lower in the coming days (pure speculate but the $279 is a sale price it's been at for the last month).

Between your 3 current IEMS, you seem to have the good $100 range. For a considerable upgrade I suggest jumping to the $300 range of hybrids. Otherwise be happy with great performers of the Yahama, TDK, and HF.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #8,430 of 35,328
The Have B6 is coming out next month, suppose to be an improvement over the Have B3 which IMO is quite amazing at $65. There's a lot of good praises for the Fidue A83 as well over on it's thread. It's on sale for $279 but could possibly go lower in the coming days (pure speculate but the $279 is a sale price it's been at for the last month).

Between your 3 current IEMS, you seem to have the good $100 range. For a considerable upgrade I suggest jumping to the $300 range of hybrids. Otherwise be happy with great performers of the Yahama, TDK, and HF.

Thanks for the response. So to get a worth while upgrade I'm going to need to spend a good amount more? I just want more accuracy, sound stage and imaging. What about etymotic hf5 would that be an upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back