The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Sep 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #7,081 of 35,332
Hi Guys

Just passing by to thanks the one who posted the deal about the CAL.

Great pair of small over ears HP. Im using it to work and I'm very very impressed.

Even at regular price, now $72 on amazon, its a great deal.

Tks
Vlad

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #7,082 of 35,332
They have dry bass, analytical, cold, and emotionless sound, cloth pads are itchy, treble is piercingly sibilant, your wallet will be much happier if you control yourself. Don't buy impulsively, you need to eat. Lol

Funny thing. I would never say AKG is my favorite house sound, but after surveying my collection, I have more AKG than any other make.

I have K501, K612, K712, K545, K550, K551, Q701 as well as some other minor models I don't remember. Wow, what gives?

I've heard that thin, analytical quality in the K501, K550 and to a lesser degree the K551. But I wouldn't say that about the Q701 or the K712.

Out of the AKG models I own, the Q701 and K712 are on the opposite end of the spectrum. They actually have a nice warmth to them, especially the K712.

Treble on these two is quite balanced and appropriate, and this is coming from someone who cannot stand hot treble.

But I've heard all the "thinner" sounding models sound great, too. A lot of it comes down to successful system matching. Sometimes a combo will sound horribly thin and unlistenable. But the same cans in another context can sound glorious, if somewhat unbalanced.

If possible, give a listen in person if you can. It's really hard to know exactly how a set of cans will work for you by written description alone. There are so many nuances that can't be fully communicated in words.

Btw, not all of the AKG models use those cloth pads anymore? K501 has them, probably some of the others, but Q701 and K712 have velour. Can't remember which the K545, K550, K551 use.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #7,083 of 35,332
Funny thing. I would never say AKG is my favorite house sound, but after surveying my collection, I have more AKG than any other make.

I have K501, K612, K712, K545, K550, K551, Q701 as well as some other minor models I don't remember. Wow, what gives?

I've heard that thin, analytical quality in the K501, K550 and to a lesser degree the K551. But I wouldn't say that about the Q701 or the K712.

Out of the AKG models I own, the Q701 and K712 are on the opposite end of the spectrum. They actually have a nice warmth to them, especially the K712.

But I've heard all "thinner" sounding models sound great, too. A lot of it comes down to successful system matching. Sometimes a combo will sound thin and unlistenable. But the same cans in another context can sound glorious.

If possible, give a listen in person if you can. It's really hard to know exactly how a set of cans will work for you by written description alone. There are so many nuances that can't be fully communicated in words.

Btw, not all of the AKG models use those cloth pads anymore? K501 has them, probably some of the others, but Q701 and K712 have velour. Can't remember which the K545, K550, K551 use.

I actually agree with you. Lol. The guy asked us to talk him out of wanting to buy em, so I threw out all the cons I've seen written by others over my time perusing head-fi reviews/impressions. Also, my mistake on saying cloth. I meant velour. Don't know why cloth was typed.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #7,085 of 35,332
I actually agree with you. Lol. The guy asked us to talk him out of wanting to buy em, so I threw out all the cons I've seen written by others over my time perusing head-fi reviews/impressions. Also, my mistake on saying cloth. I meant velour. Don't know why cloth was typed.

Ha, ha... You're right. Some of the AKGs can be like that. So better save your money.

If you already have a set of cans you really love, why not enjoy them? Otherwise, you'll end up with a bunch of cans you rarely or never listen to, like me!

But if up it were up to me to pick my favorite AKGs to recommend, it would be the K712 followed by the Q701. But then again, that's my ear and I don't have the full lineup to compare.

If you do need some leftover money for food, ramen is cheap. I don't know how healthy, though.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #7,087 of 35,332
Razordog's Ebay store is selling another open box HE-400i for $419 shipped. I'd jump right on that had I not smashed my car up yesterday
frown.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-HE-400i-full-size-Planar-Magnetic-headphone-AUTHORIZED-DEALER/201166384067

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #7,088 of 35,332
  Razordog's Ebay store is selling another open box HE-400i for $419 shipped. I'd jump right on that had I not smashed my car up yesterday
frown.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-HE-400i-full-size-Planar-Magnetic-headphone-AUTHORIZED-DEALER/201166384067

You can pick up the HE-400i directly from razordog.com for only $395.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #7,089 of 35,332
Agreed. I thought I was going crazy when I finally heard a pair of Q701s. I found them to be warm-ish but I think that's due to me spending all my listening time to Beyers which ppl have called bright and cold/analytical. I'm so adapted to that sound that it's neutral to me. lol

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #7,090 of 35,332
The headphone happy face shirt arrived. It's a cheap grey tee using that iron on material for the happy face that will without a doubt chip and fade over time.

It's everything I'd hoped it would be. Only a few hours until the wife comes home. :grin:

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #7,091 of 35,332
The headphone happy face shirt arrived. It's a cheap grey tee using that iron on material for the happy face that will without a doubt chip and fade over time.

It's everything I'd hoped it would be. Only a few hours until the wife comes home. :grin:

At least the fabric is very soft. That makes it comfortable.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #7,092 of 35,332
At least the fabric is very soft. That makes it comfortable.

Yup. Thin, light and soft. It's perfect for the never-ending summer heat.

Hoping I get a good reaction.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #7,094 of 35,332
Not headphones.... but....

Harman Audio has the refurbished Harman Kardon Sound Sticks III 3-Piece Speaker System (SOUNDSTICKS3AM-Z) for $95 with free shipping.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=SOUNDSTICKS3AM-Z&status=

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #7,095 of 35,332
Be sure to tell her that you had to buy it because it synergizes well with your headphones and then make up some ridiculous price. That'll get a reaction I bet. :)

Good idea.
"This shirt really makes my headphones sound great. It was totally worth the $50. You should try it! It really works!"

On second thought, I'm just looking for her to make the face, not get something thrown in my direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back