The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 17, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #6,707 of 35,332
That's pretty much how my lunch went.

Happens to me sometimes when I eat spicy food, my mouth gets all fired up and then an hour later I have to let it go down the...

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #6,708 of 35,332
Happens to me sometimes when I eat spicy food, my mouth gets all fired up and then an hour later I have to let it go down the...

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #6,710 of 35,332
So I've decided I want to bail on my HD700s and pick up a high end pau of closed headphones instead, but try to keep the large soundstage. This has led me to Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs. Does anyone agree? I'm also open to other recommendations in the (deal-priced) 500-700 range. I expect to get 500 out of my HD700s, so I won't mind adding a bit more for my next set.

My deal discussion question is this: are there ever any deals on Mr Speakers products? What has been a deal in the past on Alpha Dogs?

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #6,711 of 35,332
Probably not until black Friday, or never. I haven't seen or heard of any but I don't really follow the site too often to update you with a deal from him.

What kind of sound are you wanting from a closed pair of headphones?

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #6,712 of 35,332
There's a couple used Alpha Dogs on the for sale board for $450-550 so you should be able to buy at a good price.

Good option for your requirements.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,715 of 35,332
My deal discussion question is this: are there ever any deals on Mr Speakers products? What has been a deal in the past on Alpha Dogs?

If you want to buy brand new, the only deal I ever offer mrspeakers offering is at local head-fi meets. On black friday the 'deal' wasn't a discount but some add on, like a carry pouch. The returned headphones he would resell used to be a small discount of like $20-$30, IIRC. 

If you're willing to buy used, there have been a surprisingly large number of alpha dogs listed for sale. You can probably find a good price in there. Guess they didn't live up to the hype 
confused.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,717 of 35,332

If you want to buy brand new, the only deal I ever offer mrspeakers offering is at local head-fi meets. On black friday the 'deal' wasn't a discount but some add on, like a carry pouch. The returned headphones he would resell used to be a small discount of like $20-$30, IIRC. 

If you're willing to buy used, there have been a surprisingly large number of alpha dogs listed for sale. You can probably find a good price in there. Guess they didn't live up to the hype 
confused.gif

This is a great point...is it the cans or is it the herd jumping on the next new thing?  I'd bet more the latter than the former.  There's a good portion of audiophiles that, from my perspective, like testing and having the lastest gear and posting up about it.  Forums have facilitated that behavior and helped foster it IMO.  Seen the same thing on car forums...next best/cool thing.

It's all good.  Must make the vendors happy.

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #6,718 of 35,332

That is on-ears right? They mentioned on ears but the pictures are showing the over ears type

It's the on-ear Momentum, still a good deal given the free amp, but would have been more awesome if it's the over ear version.

I pulled the trigger thinking it was the over-ear model, but just emailed the seller to confirm.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back