The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Apr 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #4,471 of 35,343
Best (full) headphones for under $35?Before I'm told to read the stickies I want to say that I have, but a few of them seem a little outdated.I'm on dat dere poverty time so I cannot afford to invest more than $35 on headphones. I do game but I I'm not looking for a strict "gaming headphone" but rather one to fit my other needs.Been a musician for the past 8 years, primarily in the orchestra so naturally, my taste in music spans from Stravinsky, to charlie parker, to animals as leaders. These headphones will be to listen to music while I study, compose music on my computer, and a little gaming. I know music composition hardware is a whole other monster but I'm saving up big money for that. Anyway, looking for best quality, closed or open.

Get the monoprice 8323 and put Shure SHR840 pads on it and be happy.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,472 of 35,343
Best (full) headphones for under $35?Before I'm told to read the stickies I want to say that I have, but a few of them seem a little outdated.I'm on dat dere poverty time so I cannot afford to invest more than $35 on headphones. I do game but I I'm not looking for a strict "gaming headphone" but rather one to fit my other needs.Been a musician for the past 8 years, primarily in the orchestra so naturally, my taste in music spans from Stravinsky, to charlie parker, to animals as leaders. These headphones will be to listen to music while I study, compose music on my computer, and a little gaming. I know music composition hardware is a whole other monster but I'm saving up big money for that. Anyway, looking for best quality, closed or open.

I think the 668B would be good for you. nice balanced sound, but you cant use it outside of your home because it's so big and it leaks so much.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,473 of 35,343

Try the Superlux Evo hd 681 or hd 668b. Right around that range of your budget.

+1 on the Superluxes...I got my 681s for $30 and they are a solid value on the music side...can't speak to gaming though.  FWIW, the 681s can be a little harsh in the treble on some songs (tubes tame that) but the 681 EVOs are supposed to have softened the treble and can be had for under $40.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #4,474 of 35,343

+1 on the Superluxes...I got my 681s for $30 and they are a solid value on the music side...can't speak to gaming though.  FWIW, the 681s can be a little harsh in the treble on some songs (tubes tame that) but the 681 EVOs are supposed to have softened the treble and can be had for under $40.

Harsh treble + Animals As Leaders = bleeding ears.  I love AAL but you really want to make sure you've got your trebles tamed if you're going to be listening to djent.  Trust me!  lol

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,475 of 35,343
  Harsh treble + Animals As Leaders = bleeding ears.  I love AAL but you really want to make sure you've got your trebles tamed if you're going to be listening to djent.  Trust me!  lol

Not doubting that for a minute!

I was in pain with some music of mine until I hooked them up to a tube amp which also helped my Beyers and Grados.  That said, the reviews say that the EVOs fix this but I haven't heard them to compare.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,476 of 35,343
RE: ATH  RE700  Head-Fi enthusiast Vienbo wa kind enough to send me his impressions of the RE700 which were in the discovery thread.
I take the liberty of sharing his personal comments here with you all on the deals thread:

"The mids- contain a visceral experience with enough details to help you understand what the singers' lyrics are.

The instruments contain some bite, but in reality, the mids are VERY smooth to the point where a distortion guitar sounds weak. The martin logans have more detail out of these and actually beats the ath-re700s in detail, precision, and speed.

Also, the re700's smooth sound signature is better for classical, country, and edm in my opinion. It is because the bass, to me, are the highlights of the re700s.

Bass - It is pretty thick, bold, yet EXCEPTIONALLY tight. You get to hear the best texture ever created on an  on-ear headphone! It contains such a nice addictive sound that you have to hear it, all I can say is that it isn't basshead levels, the impact is prertty good, kind of like how a full water bottle falls on your desk, and that brief vibration you feel on your elbows, is the same with these headphones.

The upper mid range - highs - Contain massive sibilance that it makes you want to throw the headphones away, but it isn't on every recording for some reason. If you listen to a lot of pop, you'll hear the tonal  imbalance in the upper mids to  high range. The highs, however, contain the same amount of details as the mikros and are actually a bit thicker than the mikros to make cymbals have more depth and space between itself and the drums. However, the smooth signature destroys the articulate sounds of the cymbals, which can mess up the timbre :frowning2:

It's not a bad headphone, and for $100, it's better than most that sell itself for the same price. It still needs work though. "  

I see that as a pretty enthusiastic set of comments...especially since the phones were selling at 220$ on ebay at the time of his experience with them, and now are down to
122.00 on multiple sources such as overstock.com and ebay venders ....  Im a big fan of the audio technics house sound and can't wait till mine arrive tomorrow!
THANKS for everyone's input on these..

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,477 of 35,343

Get the monoprice 8323 and put Shure SHR840 pads on it and be happy.

Or get the NXG Technology Pro Dj Headphones (NX-HTDJ), which is only $10.69 + $4.99 shipping on amazon. It already has velour pads.  It is apparently the same construction as the monoprice 8323, but some have commented (I recommend a search) that they have much less bass, possibly because of the different pads.  I bought a pair and I like it.  I had a monoprice 8323 (a gift for my son, now broken) and from memory I would say that the NXG is more comfortable and brighter. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,481 of 35,343

These should suit your needs for only $4 more. Otherwise you should look at the monoprice cans previously mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,482 of 35,343
Back on topic.

beyerdynamic T1 $599 from bd-usa:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121331386988&alt=web

As with their other eBay sales, no warranty.

Well that didn't last long. Good thing because I was getting ready to pull the trigger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back