The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,026 of 35,319

20 bucks is about average for a 32gb.  Granted its usually not the red/grey uh1 or whatever.  

I have never seen a red/grey uh-1.

The first uh-1 I ever flew was orange/green...
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,027 of 35,319

i just bought a 32gb class 4 for rs 1200(20$) last week.i was not sure if clip+ would handle class 6 or 10

they handle them fine

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,028 of 35,319
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75414_Sennheiser-Amperior-Blue-with-20-eGift-Card.html?utm_source=newyeargear14&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newyeargear14

Like the Amperiors, looks like a decent price, includes a $20 egift card

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #2,029 of 35,319
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75414_Sennheiser-Amperior-Blue-with-20-eGift-Card.html?utm_source=newyeargear14&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newyeargear14

Like the Amperiors, looks like a decent price, includes a $20 egift card

and you can use the $20 gift card towards a $64 fiio e10 (you have to do "make an offer" on the e10 that doesnt come with its own $10 gift card)

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,030 of 35,319
  Nope. They both are wallet killers.

The nature of how quickly new headphones pop up, along with the abundance of companies offering them, topped off with the fact they don't weigh 40lb+ each makes headphones far more disposable and wallet busting. I should know. I've been a speaker enthusiast far longer than I've been on Head-Fi, and Head-Fi has killed my wallet quicker.

The speaker enthusiast path starts at Pioneer System + under $300 receiver + under $300 sub -> Klipsch/JBL/KEF etc... system + under $700 receiver + under $700 sub -> Internet Direct speaker companies like Seaton Sound and JTR Speakers + $2,000 receiver + $2,000+ subs -> DIY Speakers + Pro Amps + DSP + sound measurement tools + multiple DIY subs + room treatment. Just start at DIY speaker kits or those two speaker companies and you'll have your endgame.

Headphones and earphones don't really have a DIY option, or an endgame. You'll neither save money, nor have control on building the sound you want. The endless search is what busts the wallet. When you do find your headphone/amp endgame.... well, I don't know. 100+ models later and I haven't found it 100% yet. 

Interesting. I never really thought of it that way. On the other hand, do you think the typical Head-Fi'er buy new gear that often? IMO, Head-Fi'ers buy new gear here and there, then trade or sell to get new gear. Are speaker enthusiasts able to trade/sell as easily as Head-Fi'ers? Also do speaker people actually buy like the ridiculously expensive speakers with the 5 or 6 digit price tag?

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,031 of 35,319

Interesting. I never really thought of it that way. On the other hand, do you think the typical Head-Fi'er buy new gear that often? IMO, Head-Fi'ers buy new gear here and there, then trade or sell to get new gear. Are speaker enthusiasts able to trade/sell as easily as Head-Fi'ers? Also do speaker people actually buy like the ridiculously expensive speakers with the 5 or 6 digit price tag?

People do buy the $5,000-15,000+ speakers, and they do sound good, but you come to realize that most of it is tied up in marketing and design with commercial big name brands.

For instance, the JTR Noesis 212, JTR's flagship speaker is $2,200, and it sounds better than any Klipsch, KEF, JBL, Legacy, etc speaker under $20,000. Enthusiasts at AVSforum host GTGs (get togethers) where people bring different high end speakers together and test/measure them. Everything is graded, and JTR and Seaton consistently come out on top. Since they are internet direct, they are able to offer a lower price over big name brands. The internet and word of mouth is their marketing. Each Seaton Catalyst 12" speaker ($3,500) has a 1000W amplifier in it, with a DSP! To say these speakers sound better than the local theater is a huge understatement.

It is much easier and cheaper to purchase speaker measuring tools than headphone measurement tools, which is why I don't think such get togethers exist for Head-Fi. 

If you are semi handy, good DIY speaker kits with a well designed crossover also offer $10,000+ performance for much less. The kit I put together sounds better than any speaker I have heard in my life aside from JTR / Seaton's, and only cost $500 per speaker + labor time. No headphone, not even my HE-500 which I love, can reproduce what my speakers can. Not yet anyway. I can't wait for the day that they do... for a reasonable price.

With that said... someone find a NAD VISO HP50 deal. They seem to be everything I would want in a headphone.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,032 of 35,319
Can we bring the speaker talk to pm's?

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,033 of 35,319
  People do buy the $5,000-15,000+ speakers, and they do sound good, but you come to realize that most of it is tied up in marketing and design with commercial big name brands.

For instance, the JTR Noesis 212, JTR's flagship speaker is $2,200, and it sounds better than any Klipsch, KEF, JBL, Legacy, etc speaker under $20,000. Enthusiasts at AVSforum host GTGs (get togethers) where people bring different high end speakers together and test/measure them. Everything is graded, and JTR and Seaton consistently come out on top. Since they are internet direct, they are able to offer a lower price over big name brands. The internet and word of mouth is their marketing. Each Seaton Catalyst 12" speaker ($3,500) has a 1000W amplifier in it, with a DSP! To say these speakers sound better than the local theater is a huge understatement.

It is much easier and cheaper to purchase speaker measuring tools than headphone measurement tools, which is why I don't think such get togethers exist for Head-Fi. 

If you are semi handy, good DIY speaker kits with a well designed crossover also offer $10,000+ performance for much less. The kit I put together sounds better than any speaker I have heard in my life aside from JTR / Seaton's, and only cost $500 per speaker + labor time. No headphone, not even my HE-500 which I love, can reproduce what my speakers can. Not yet anyway. I can't wait for the day that they do... for a reasonable price.

With that said... someone find a NAD VISO HP50 deal. They seem to be everything I would want in a headphone.

can you PM what DIY speaker? thanks

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,035 of 35,319
Amazon has a third-party used Q701 in white complete with accessories in like-new condition for $155 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004444OFK/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1388614312&sr=8-2&keywords=q701&condition=used

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,038 of 35,319

+1 on this! I was finally able to audition this yesterday and am very tempted to sell my just-bought Momentums to get the HP50s. :eek:

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,039 of 35,319
I had the blue ant embrace.  They are the only headphones I ever returned due to sound so bad, EQ couldn't fix it.  See Tyll's review measurements here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BlueAntEmbrace.pdf

less than stellar reviews here.
http://www.whathifi.com/review/blueant-embrace
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headphones/1289683/blueant-embrace (I totally agree with this short, but spot on summary of the sound)

I would not recommend these at any price unless you don't care about sound (awful) and only care about build and looks (very good).

Interesting. I got ordered a pair at the $40 price on a whim. I looked for reviews on the forum here and also Googled it.

Interesting because there are also a lot of very positive reviews for this phone as well. They were positive enough that I felt it was worth trying out for $40.

No doubt they do not sound good to many ears. But curiously a lot of folks like them, too. With such mixed reviews, I would never have considered them at a higher price, not to speak of the retail price. At the sale price, maybe worth the risk for me.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,040 of 35,319
Interesting. I got ordered a pair at the $40 price on a whim. I looked for reviews on the forum here and also Googled it.

Interesting because there are also a lot of very positive reviews for this phone as well. They were positive enough that I felt it was worth trying out for $40.

No doubt they do not sound good to many ears. But curiously a lot of folks like them, too. With such mixed reviews, I would never have considered them at a higher price, not to speak of the retail price. At the sale price, maybe worth the risk for me.

i thought the same but in the end i passed on them, they sold out quick though.

i watched a video on youtube they did some blind tests with 4 different pairs of headphones and both listeners ranked the blueants last or second to last in both cases. the monster dna's beat them and considering i just got monster dna's yesterday i decided to pass on the blueants. that being said i am sure they are decent for the $40 but than again my dna's were only $99..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back