The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,321 of 35,346
  that is sucha joke. he's reviewed a lot of other sub-par headphones. to dismiss headphones based on a FR graph is silly b/c a FR graph alone doesn't tell the whole story.

he's basically getting paid to do these reviews now.  He reviewed some crap headphones called "accidently extraordinary 51st st" or some crap like that.  Basically looks nice but falls belows the CAL and about even with the M50.  WTH.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,322 of 35,346
Does anyone know, are the westone 3's bass heavy? neutral? Sorry I have no clue lol

#51 WESTONE: WESTONE 3

*Back To The Index

49Westone3_zpsf2f8ef10.jpg

Westone started out as a pioneer in the field of hearing care. Later they would become one of the key figures in the evolution of in-ear-monitors during the 1990's. Westone served as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for Shure and worked alongside Ultimate Ears in the development of the world’s first custom-fit in-ear headphone.

Introduced in 2008, the Westone 3 was the very first two-way crossover universal-fit IEM. Essentially, what this means is that there are three balanced armature drivers in the earpiece, each targeted at a different frequency region (lows, mid, highs). Other triple-driver IEMs which preceded the Westone 3 (such as the SE530 and Ultimate Ears' Triple Fi 10 Pro) featured dual drivers for lower frequencies and a single driver for the highs. When I heard the Westone 3 for the first time, I was struck by how full the sound was. In my opinion, it offers a significantly improved sound over their dual-driver model, the UM2. Shortly after acquiring the Westone 3, I began to prefer them to the SE530.

STRENGTHS TONALITY: The Westone 3 offers a fun tonality that features an impactful mid-bass response and decent treble extension. In contrast to the SE535's bloomy midrange, the Westone 3's mids are slightly recessed.

BASS: The Westone 3 demonstrates a rather noticeable mid-bass hump that adds quite a bit of depth to bass guitar and drums. I find that its bass presentation is ideally suited for rock and metal music.

COMFORT: For me, the ergonomic design of Westone's universal-fit IEMs is the most comfortable of all universal-fit in-ears. The angle of the nozzle allows the user to achieve a more comfortable seal. In addition, Westone ships their universal-fit IEMs with Comply brand foam ear-tips. These tips are extraordinarily comfortable and easily provide the best seal of all the ear-tips that I have used.

ISOLATION: While Westone ships the Westone 3 with a generous assortment of eartipsI suggest using the longer Comply ear-tips in order to achieve the best seal. Once the foam tips are sealed in the ear, they manage to provide an extreme amount of isolation. Only custom-fitted IEMs do better in this regard.

ROCK MASTER: The Westone 3 offers a genuinely fat sound with great impact. I really enjoy listening to rock (particularly modern rock) with the Westone 3.

SUPER PORTABLE: With regard to portability, nothing even comes close to IEMs. You can fit the Westone 3 inside a small shirt pocket. Try doing that with an MDR-R10.

EASY TO DRIVE: I have found that the Westone 3 really doesn't benefit much from amplification. It sounds almost the same out of an iPod as it does out of a high-end rig.

STORAGE: When Westone began shipping the Westone 3, they supplied a round hard zippered carrying case, which resembled Shure's carrying case. However, more recently Westone has switched to a longer, more rectangular zippered carrying case. Both of the carrying cases offered are extremely effective with regard to fitting in the pocket and protecting the IEMs from damage.

WEAKNESSES
IEM'S INHERENT SHORTCOMINGS: In my opinion, full-size headphones possess the ability to sound more natural than in-ear headphones.  The reason I feel this way is that much like natural acoustic sound, sound waves that emanate from a full-size headphone travel through the entirety of the ear, rather than just the canal. To me, this sense of space makes for a more natural auditory experience. Not everyone agrees with this claim, but I stand by my assertion.

IEM SOUNDSTAGE: To my ears, the soundstage presentation that IEMs portray is lacking in realism. A lot of people happen to like it, but for me, it is not competitive with a full-size headphone's soundstaging ability.

NOT NEUTRAL: The Westone 3 is not a neutral-sounding earphone by any means. I would not suggest it as a choice for anyone looking to monitor a live mix. I would opt for the UM3X or Westone 4 in this scenario.

IMAGING: The Westone 3 is not particularly impressive with regard to imaging. Even though I enjoy the bass presentation, sometimes I feel as though the extra bass emphasis gets in the way of pinpointing the placement of instruments.

SIBILANT: The Westone 3 has the tendency to emphasize the sharpness of the letter "s" and other percussion instruments such as a hi-hat which fall into that same frequency region.

ON THE FENCE TRANSPARENT?: I feel as though the Westone 3's sound-signature is on the cusp of transparency, but it doesn't quite make it.

MIDS: I would prefer a slightly more forward midrange. However, the mids here are still quite natural-sounding. Overall, the midrange presentation is ideal for those who enjoy a slightly raised bass/treble EQ curve.

TREBLE: When I heard the Westone 3 for the first time, the first thing I thought was that its treble presentation was a drastic improvement over the SE530's. It is certainly more forward. However, I still wish at times that the treble was more smoothly integrated with the midrange.

CABLE: Westone's braided cable design is the best I have seen in the in-ear market. It is rugged, light and avoids tangling. I only wish the Westone 3's cable was detachable from the earpiece. Westone would later offer this as an optional feature with their UM-series models and the Westone 4.

FOR THE PRICE

B-

Upon its debut, the Westone 3 was probably the best sounding universal-fit IEM I had ever heard. Today it has been surpassed by a few models - namely by Westone themselves and Audéo. I still prefer the sound of the Westone 3 to any of Sony's XBA series IEMs. For rock fans, I think the Westone 3 may still be the one to own.

QUICK CHECK
  1. DESIGN: In-Ear
  2. DRIVERS: Balanced Armature
  3. IMPEDANCE: 30 Ohms
  4. ISOLATION: Extreme
  5. AMPLIFICATION: Not Necessary but Worth Considering
  6. MY PREFERRED AMP: n/a (iPod without amp)
  7. SOUNDS BEST WITH: Rock
  8. CABLES USED: Stock
  9. REVISIONS KNOWN: None known to me
  10. FLAGSHIP STATUS: Once Was
  11. PRODUCTION STATUS AS OF 2012: In Production
  12. COST: $349

Edited by DavidMahler - 12/16/13 at 3:36pm

// LOVE Them !!!

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,324 of 35,346

he's basically getting paid to do these reviews now.  He reviewed some crap headphones called "accidently extraordinary 51st st" or some crap like that.  Basically looks nice but falls belows the CAL and about even with the M50.  WTH.

You got it all wrong - he reviews and recommends products that might not be always the best performers but sound good and are cheap. Those accidentaly extraordinary 51st studio are only $99. On the other hand the new AKGs cost 15 times more and yeah, the measurements aren't particularly impressive

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,325 of 35,346
Originally Posted by money4me247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that is sucha joke. he's reviewed a lot of other sub-par headphones. to dismiss headphones based on a FR graph is silly b/c a FR graph alone doesn't tell the whole story.

What, you think he measured them but didn't listen to them? There are tons of good headphones that he chooses not to review (anything from Beyerdynamic for example). For one thing, I'm sure he has limited time. He only reviews headphones that particularly surprise and/or impress him. 

What makes you say he's "basically getting paid to do these reviews now"? Tyll is a straight shooter. You may not share his preferences for headphones but he tells it like it is. He's not going to tell you a headphone is good if it isn't and AFAIK he does not get paid to review headphones. Like anyone else that does what he does, he makes money from ad revenue from the visits to his web site.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,330 of 35,346
  That is insane. 

Heard from a little bird that Sennheiser is trying to fix it asap. Its an error. 

I'm placing order now...asking questions later.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,332 of 35,346

Ordered.   We will see what happens.   Thanks!

Me too.

And I just got a T1.   What the hell is wrong with me.
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,333 of 35,346
  You got it all wrong - he reviews and recommends products that might not be always the best performers but sound good and are cheap. Those accidentaly extraordinary 51st studio are only $99. On the other hand the new AKGs cost 15 times more and yeah, the measurements aren't particularly impressive

more like he got paid to do those reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back