The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,171 of 35,319
I don't like how the amazon page lumps all of the westone ratings together. The 4r is 4x more expensive than the single driver ones and they perform completely differently, yet amazon think that all of the ratings are valid for both. 

I picked up the 4r for $299 on black friday but would have probably gone for the Westone 3 if they had been half the price! That is a great deal.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,173 of 35,319
The aurvana is a good deal at $60. Compare favorably to the shure se425 with a very mid-focused sound. Spent $90 on mine and sold my shures because they seemed redundant.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,174 of 35,319
OK. I just got my Westone 3's, and as you can see I am having an issue. When I went to change to some larger tips, I noticed that the original Comply's were hard to get off. No wonder. So the inner sleeves are still affixed to the nozzles, and they are not coming off. I tried tweezers, and my finger tips. But, pulling or twisting is not working, it's like the are glued on. Also, I don't want to break the nozzles. Is there some special way to remove Comply tips or something?  Anyway, I am returning these.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,175 of 35,319
  OK. I just got my Westone 3's, and as you can see I am having an issue. When I went to change to some larger tips, I noticed that the original Comply's were hard to get off. No wonder. So the inner sleeves are still affixed to the nozzles, and they are not coming off. I tried tweezers, and my finger tips. But, pulling or twisting is not working, it's like the are glued on. Also, I don't want to break the nozzles. Is there some special way to remove Comply tips or something?  Anyway, I am returning these. 

Try putting them in a ziploc bag in the freezer for ten minutes or so. Should do the trick. Shure actually tells people to do that!

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,178 of 35,319

Really? I am going to try that right now. Thanks for the tip!

Report back!

Yeah. Its a classic problem with the Comply kind of tips. When the SE535 first came out, lots of us had that problem w/ the Shure olives. Into the freezer they went! Just put them in a bag so moisture doesn't get in. And focus more on a wiggle/twist and turn and pull off slowly motion rather than a straight tug. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,179 of 35,319

Yeah. Its a classic problem with the Comply kind of tips. When the SE535 first came out, lots of us had that problem w/ the Shure olives. Into the freezer they went! Just put them in a bag so moisture doesn't get in. And focus more on a wiggle/twist and turn and pull off slowly motion rather than a straight tug. 

Many thanks to imackler for the help! 

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,180 of 35,319
Brainwavz Beta $9.35 at checkout (page says $11.00) http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Beta-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B005IF3CE8/
with mic http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Isolating-Headphones-headset-Smartphones/dp/B006LD7VP2

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,181 of 35,319
Advice needed! After reading the mad lust headphone guide I've been searching everywhere for the Sony MDR-MA900 headphones. I finally found them at a sony store. They were out of box in the back (had to get an associate to search for them). I tried them on and love them.
I bought them open box w/ free 2 year warranty (thank you sony store manager) for $150. That feels like a steal but I know they've problem been on display. Thoughts? Still anxious to try them at home in a quiet environment.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,182 of 35,319
Advice needed! After reading the mad lust headphone guide I've been searching everywhere for the Sony MDR-MA900 headphones. I finally found them at a sony store. They were out of box in the back (had to get an associate to search for them). I tried them on and love them.
I bought them open box w/ free 2 year warranty (thank you sony store manager) for $150. That feels like a steal but I know they've problem been on display. Thoughts? Still anxious to try them at home in a quiet environment.

Looks like a decent deal and a good way to save $50. You can get them new online for $200. Is it worth $50 for you to get a new pair, never worn by someone else? If not, the warranty makes it a fine decision. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,183 of 35,319
Looks like a decent deal and a good way to save $50. You can get them new online for $200. Is it worth $50 for you to get a new pair, never worn by someone else? If not, the warranty makes it a fine decision. 

That's the question I believe I can answer with a confident "yes." The 2 yr warranty makes the difference. Dealing with a problem through the sony store vs amazon seems like a no-brainer to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back